Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 24/04/2020 at 07:35, Day of the Lords said:

Aye, one of the few bright spots about lockdown is being able to bike along previously dodgy roads without having to deal with many cars. I've racked out about 450 miles since it started now and it's been great for both my mental and physical state. Having a more comfortable bike now obviously helps. 

The roads are empty but there have been some crazy twats on them. Some are driving like the rules of the road have been suspended. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Another 40 miles today. Still getting fatter cause it makes me so fucking hungry.

I do not know your weight and speeds but you can burn 40-50 kcal a mile. It can be a shed load of energy. 

34 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

I do not know your weight and speeds but you can burn 40-50 kcal a mile. It can be a shed load of energy. 

My Garmin claimed I burned 3781 kcal today, 68 mile ride.  Suspect it was more like 2500, but still a decent whack and given I consumed 650 kcal during the ride, definitely a fat burner.

51 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Another 40 miles today. Still getting fatter cause it makes me so fucking hungry.

Doing more exercise but eating more when in the house, probably due to getting bored.

45 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

The roads are empty but there have been some crazy twats on them. Some are driving like the rules of the road have been suspended. 

Noticed that plus folk oot walking on the roads more, especially the wee country/back roads.

Running is a non starter for a lazy, unfit c**t like me so thought cycling would be the next best thing. The experienced riders (heh heh) on the thread will probably snigger at these times but first 5k the other day in 22:43 was bettered by tonights effort at 20:38. Don't know whether to keep trying to better that time over that distance or try and tackle longer distances. My first outing was actually a 10k in total (5 to destination, 5 back) but I only timed 5k of it. The 5k back was a slog at snails pace anyway as I was blowing out my arse! :lol: 

Folk are right about the difference in mental state though. Was bored out my skull earlier resulting in a downer of a mood; amazing what difference even a short outing of 20 mins makes.

Edited by C. Muir

4 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Running is a non starter for a lazy, unfit c**t like me so thought cycling would be the next best thing. The experienced riders (heh heh) on the thread will probably snigger at these times but first 5k the other day in 22:43 was bettered by tonights effort at 20:38. Don't know whether to keep trying to better that time over that distance or try and tackle longer distances.

Folk are right about the difference in mental state though. Was bored out my skull earlier resulting in a downer of a mood; amazing what difference even a short outing of 20 mins makes.

For beginners its easier to go longer than faster. Its generally much easier to add distance than speed, plus you gain the ability to go further and explore more. 

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think i have the opposite problem. Breakfast was only about 350kcal, downed a coffee then headed out for a 50+ mile ride. Even after coming home for lunch and tea I'm still about -2600kcal for the day. Thankfully I remembered energy gels today though, after a wee climb at about 40ish miles I felt like shite, not a full-on bonk, but not nice either. 

4 hours ago, dorlomin said:

I'm pretty fortunate here. Hardly any cars out and about other than farmer types and dog walkers since lockdown started. Rural roads in Angus are usually quiet anyway but they're absolutely dead just now. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

How long a ride do you lads go before you think about taking something to eat?

Probably 1.5 hr / 30 miles before I'd take food.  If it was near that level, I'd probably eat a banana before I left.  Normally don't take fluids either, unless it's hot.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

How long a ride do you lads go before you think about taking something to eat?

If i'm doing my "standard" 30 mile loop from home, I probably won't bother. Usually just a water bottle filled with a mix of Vimto, Water (obvs) and 1 or 2 High5 tablets. 

Between 30-40 I'll take an energy gel, above 50 x2 gels. Anything above 60 I'll probably take a protein bar as well. 

Running is a non starter for a lazy, unfit c**t like me so thought cycling would be the next best thing. The experienced riders (heh heh) on the thread will probably snigger at these times but first 5k the other day in 22:43 was bettered by tonights effort at 20:38. Don't know whether to keep trying to better that time over that distance or try and tackle longer distances. My first outing was actually a 10k in total (5 to destination, 5 back) but I only timed 5k of it. The 5k back was a slog at snails pace anyway as I was blowing out my arse! [emoji38] 
That's great that you're enjoying it. I'm very much a leisure cyclist but I would suggest not getting too hung up on timing at this stage (if ever). Just enjoy going at a speed you're comfortable with and taking in your surroundings. You'll be able to go further, find new routes and vary your existing ones by adding on a branch off in another direction. It's a great feeling to come back having discovered and enjoyed a new route.
If you are interested in times I'd suggest recording your ride on Strava on similar which will let you see overall times and speeds. It'll also let you try to beat times on any segments of your routes that you ride regularly without getting too caught up on the speed for the overall ride.

• 2 weeks later...

First ride using SPDs today, and I didn't fall over while clipped in, so I'll take that as a win. A short 15k in a slow 46 minutes, and my back was pretty sore at the end of it. Thinking of getting a new bike, the Genesis Croix De Fer 10 looks like the favourite at the moment.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

First ride using SPDs today, and I didn't fall over while clipped in, so I'll take that as a win. A short 15k in a slow 46 minutes, and my back was pretty sore at the end of it. Thinking of getting a new bike, the Genesis Croix De Fer 10 looks like the favourite at the moment.

That’s a beauty. I’ve got a Voodoo Nakisi hybrid just now and whilst I love it it’s a bit heavy for the longer pedals. Got it on the bike to work scheme and it’s up in July. Quite sure I’ll get a proper racer this summer and get clipped in etc. 

5b60b42493315d6f02102d64

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking to replace the chain on my bike. Can someone point me in the right direction. It's a Boardman Road SPORT 2013–2014

It's done me 5 years and the chain is a bit knackered looking. Searches have become fruitless or crazy import prices. Where is the best place to buy and what chain do I get? 

Cheers! 

48 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking to replace the chain on my bike. Can someone point me in the right direction. It's a Boardman Road SPORT 2013–2014

It's done me 5 years and the chain is a bit knackered looking. Searches have become fruitless or crazy import prices. Where is the best place to buy and what chain do I get? 

Cheers! 

You could give the Cycle shop in The Arches units, up at Bowling Harbour a call, if you are local Snudge?

His website is magiccycles.co.uk

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Cheers! 

What speed is it? Count the cogs on the cassette to find out. 

A quick search if your bike says it might be an 8 speed. You should be able to pick up KMC 8 speed chain cheaply.