Official P&b Cycling Thread

29 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Anyone got a good recommendation for stylish but not too pricey cycling gear? Brother's birthday coming up and he's quite in to his cycling so was thinking of getting him a jersey but a bit short of funds for the £80 The Sporty Chicken are looking for. 

Any good websites/shops that people know of where I could get something nice at a lower price would be appreciated, cheers! 

I'm an amazon cheapskate.

45 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Anyone got a good recommendation for stylish but not too pricey cycling gear? Brother's birthday coming up and he's quite in to his cycling so was thinking of getting him a jersey but a bit short of funds for the £80 The Sporty Chicken are looking for. 

Any good websites/shops that people know of where I could get something nice at a lower price would be appreciated, cheers! 

Wiggle has a huge choice of gear and you can get good stuff at decent prices.  The last jersey I got, which ticked all my boxes and I'm happy with, was £29.  The make was Endura.

Decathlon's Triban range is good. The best kit is their 900 series stuff. Short sleeved jerseys are under 40 quid.

• 2 weeks later...

Out on the bike for a 23 miler early this morning in a pretty brutal wind which gave me a few twitchy moments when it was a sidewind, tough going but enjoyed the tail winds immensely getting up to 40 mph.

Bought a bike roller for when I can't get out, any good?

Seen this thread whilst looking on the COVID-19 one, exclusively road biking or is a new to MTB fanatic like myself allowed in the building?
Post away bud. Everyone here is pretty welcoming and happy to provide info. Apart from Perthshirebell who is a monumentally creepy weirdo.

Need some help lads, cant remember if I posted about this when I first got my bike a couple of years back, but what's the deal with it jumping out of gears, typically only when going uphill in lower gears? I should add I am useless with bikes so if it needs anything technical.its a shop job.

Also what should I be doing in terms of looking after it? Spray lubricant on the chain etc?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Need some help lads, cant remember if I posted about this when I first got my bike a couple of years back, but what's the deal with it jumping out of gears, typically only when going uphill in lower gears? I should add I am useless with bikes so if it needs anything technical.its a shop job.

Also what should I be doing in terms of looking after it? Spray lubricant on the chain etc?

That may be as simple as needing to adjust the tension on the cable going to the rear mech. There will be a little thumb-turn bit you can tighten. Cable may have stretched a bit. 

That may be as simple as needing to adjust the tension on the cable going to the rear mech. There will be a little thumb-turn bit you can tighten. Cable may have stretched a bit. 
Il.have a look. Its not good when I am bursting my arse going up a hill and it jumps up a gear!

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, L said:

Il.have a look. Its not good when I am bursting my arse going up a hill and it jumps up a gear!

Good luck! Proper bike lube is handy too. Oil picks up dirt and stuff like WD40 is too thin and washes off but even supermarkets usually stock dedicated lubes like GT85.

Have you had a go without stabilisers yet?

Good luck! Proper bike lube is handy too. Oil picks up dirt and stuff like WD40 is too thin and washes off but even supermarkets usually stock dedicated lubes like GT85.
Have you had a go without stabilisers yet?

One step at a time....

Hardest thing is getting used to cycling on the roads and also just finding routes to go. Theres tons of cycle paths around this area but if you dont know you dont know. You know?

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One step at a time....

Hardest thing is getting used to cycling on the roads and also just finding routes to go. Theres tons of cycle paths around this area but if you dont know you dont know. You know?

The bike gives you so much freedom to explore. If you hit the canal path and head east there's a decent gastro pub at Ratho called the Bridge Inn. Maybe about 18 miles each way or so? 

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Plenty of videos for tuning derailleurs on you tube, it's really not as hard as it looks.

As said previously check the cable tension and check to see if any of the rings on the cassette are worn or broken.

You can also use the high and low screws to make sure that its inline.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

One step at a time....

Google maps has a cycling button on it which shows the cycle tracks/routes.

• 3 weeks later...

Back out today for a 24km run after my run in with the virus. Lost about 3 minutes, with the wind being the shittitiest possible direction so generally happy with that.

Also, fell off for the first time since I was a kid [emoji23]

Anyway, as a complete novice, see when trying to get better/fitter on a bike, is it best to stick.in the highest gear and just plug away as best you can, or should you drop down to find a balance between comfort and speed?

Note that I have way to measure rpm currently.

I just do what I feel comfortable with but the racing snakes are all about the cadence - keeping a regular rhythm so using the gears extensively to keep the pedals turning at the same rate.  IMO better to set up a Strava account and compare your times on sections - you'll see yourself getting fitter. Think there's a few from here on Strava.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, as a complete novice, see when trying to get better/fitter on a bike, is it best to stick.in the highest gear and just plug away as best you can, or should you drop down to find a balance between comfort and speed?

Note that I have way to measure rpm currently.

The secret is in the cadance!  Normally you should be aiming for between 80 - 120 rpm.  If you hammer away in the highest possible gear you'll put extra pressure on your knee joints.  Much easier to pop down a gear or two and make sure you're spinning freely.   You'll be able to achieve a better average speed than belting at the top gear then dropping down as you become knackered.