Official P&b Cycling Thread

To be the bearer of bad news the gentleman in question was my father and he passed away in hospital at lunchtime.

He was with his best pal at the time and they done all they could.

I left them behind on Saltmarket to meet them at the finish and was 6 miles from the end when I heard.

If anyone on here was a bystander, thank you.

To be the bearer of bad news the gentleman in question was my father and he passed away in hospital at lunchtime.

I left them behind on Saltmarket to meet them at the finish and was 6 miles from the end when I heard.

Condolences to you and yours.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

So sorry to hear that.

My condolences to you and your family.

28 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I did PfS and passed soon after this happened. He looked as if he was being well attended to but it has been on my mind all day and was hoping for better news.

Condolences to you and your family.

12 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.

I did the Wee Jaunt yesterday with my son, he was quite chuffed that he knocked 6 minutes off of last year’s time, and was disappointed in a couple of things. I knew the last stretch going into RHS was going to be rough but it seemed to be worse than ever, I didn’t get a puncture but my son did. The other thing that annoyed me was groups of cyclists and joggers heading the opposite way on the closed roads. 

I’m a bit sad to see it go as it was a good event for families so I hoping that the other events that they say they are going to concentrate on next year will fill the gap.

I have to say that aside from the sad news following yesterday’s event, I really enjoyed it. I got across in about three hours as well, which I’m quite chuffed with.

its fun riding on closed roads - never done that before. Slight bummer that it finishes so far outside the city of Edinburgh itself - a city centre finishing line would have been quite fun.

Shame that that’s the last one - whetted my appetite for more events like that. Any suggestions of similar ones to try?

19 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Really sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

Edited by The Master

5 hours ago, Adamski said:

I have to say that aside from the sad news following yesterday’s event, I really enjoyed it. I got across in about three hours as well, which I’m quite chuffed with.

its fun riding on closed roads - never done that before. Slight bummer that it finishes so far outside the city of Edinburgh itself - a city centre finishing line would have been quite fun.

Shame that that’s the last one - whetted my appetite for more events like that. Any suggestions of similar ones to try?

The Etape Caledonia is good but I think Etape Loch Ness is the best one. You can always try PoppyScotland in a couple of weeks that’s supposed to be good.

10 hours ago, Adamski said:

Tour o' the Borders as well - unfortunately you just missed it.  End of August next year for the next one.

I did the Dundee Cyclathon for the first time today. 26 miles around the Green Circular route, starting and finishing at Camperdown Park. 

It was a decent day out. A bit difficult to get going initially because the route is really narrow so everyone bunches up. But once it opened up onto short bits of normal roads it was easy to get a bit of momentum going. Absolute b*****d of a hill at the end - Harestane Road/Laird Street for anyone who knows the area. It’s just one of those hills that keeps going and going. 

A bit of a hairy moment on the way home as well. There’s a downhill out of Camperdown that leads straight onto a road. I hadn’t realised when I got to the bottom that I was already near-enough full on my brakes. Quick decision to make...decided that I couldn’t hear any traffic so just go for it. Thankfully the closest cars in either direction were far enough away to not be an issue (it’s not the busiest road anyway). When I stopped, I checked my brakes and you could have fried an egg on them (disc brakes). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them, just a speed miscalculation.  But a definite OYF moment :lol: 

2 hours ago, The Master said:

I did the Dundee Cyclathon for the first time today. 26 miles around the Green Circular route, starting and finishing at Camperdown Park. 

It was a decent day out. A bit difficult to get going initially because the route is really narrow so everyone bunches up. But once it opened up onto short bits of normal roads it was easy to get a bit of momentum going. Absolute b*****d of a hill at the end - Harestane Road/Laird Street for anyone who knows the area. It’s just one of those hills that keeps going and going. 

A bit of a hairy moment on the way home as well. There’s a downhill out of Camperdown that leads straight onto a road. I hadn’t realised when I got to the bottom that I was already near-enough full on my brakes. Quick decision to make...decided that I couldn’t hear any traffic so just go for it. Thankfully the closest cars in either direction were far enough away to not be an issue (it’s not the busiest road anyway). When I stopped, I checked my brakes and you could have fried an egg on them (disc brakes). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them, just a speed miscalculation.  But a definite OYF moment :lol: 

I did it with my 9 year old today and not knowing the Green route I took my good road bike fitted with the carbon wheels, bit of an eye opener and I didn’t think it was as family friendly as they were advertising. Some of the route was questionable for younger riders.

Statts Jnr was a bit disappointed after doing the closed roads Wee Jaunt last week but understood that it was a charity event run by volunteers. 

25 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

I did it with my 9 year old today and not knowing the Green route I took my good road bike fitted with the carbon wheels, bit of an eye opener and I didn’t think it was as family friendly as they were advertising. Some of the route was questionable for younger riders.. 

As a route, it’s not bad for younger riders - no really busy roads, although The Esplanade at Broughty Ferry and the aforementioned Harestane Road/Laird Street can be a bit iffy.

And yes, parts of the route make the finish at PfS seem like smooth tarmac. The loose gravel after the paths at Monifieth and through Templeton Woods are a nightmare. 

• 3 weeks later...

Right, without going through several hundred pages of this thread, I'm wondering . . . has anyone here cycled in Amsterdam?

I've been here for a week now. Loved every minute of it.  It's basically as good as it gets for cycling. Every road has a parallel cycle path, motorists are respectful when you have to cross at a junction, and it's flat,  no hills whatsoever (unless you count the incline crossing the canals as a hill). Didn't come here particularly to go cycling, but it's just the most practical and logical way to get about. 

But if you do decide to cycle,  you have to cycle like a local. You have no choice really. It's their town, their rules. Fair enough.

They make it look so easy. They just seem to flow. It's like looking down on an ants nest or a beehive. They keep up a good pace, they cycle as if they're in a kind of mini peloton, they peel off at whatever turning they're aiming for and everything just seems to work.

What I'm struggling with is the Dutch sixth sense of knowing what's going on . You do need eyes in the back of your head to know what's going on around you. There are bikes coming towards you from every direction and nobody slows down. When do you give way? When do you have right of way? 

Then again, there are no (or at least I haven't seen any) collisions. 

Going back to Scotland tomorrow, and going home in one piece.  But I'm going home having survived, (but not really understanding what I've just survived).

Bottom line, if you haven't already done it . . . do it.

Takes urban cycling to a new and more adventurous/stupid/satisfying/gratifying/reckless/involving/challenging/fun level.