Official P&b Cycling Thread

Finished Tour o' the Borders and got in the top 10 I think, but annoyingly the official results include folk who registered for the long course but switched to the short course, so my 'official' result is outside top 10.  

I was in the front group but just starting the penultimate climb I dropped my chain, which got wedged into the frame and I spent almost 5 min fixing it. 😢

Anyway, overall I was delighted as staying with the front group as long as possible was my aim. 

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Didn't do it emoji23.png

We were staying in Annat, forecast was shite. Set the alarm for 6:45, took one look out the window at torrential rain and wind and went back to bed. f**k that emoji23.png. We passed a few finishers on the way home through Glen Torridon, they looked fucking shattered.

Went out today on a local Audax, 105 miles at 15mph and 5800ft ascent. Wrecked after it. Glad I didn't do the Bealach, I'm not as fit as I was a month ago.

Good ride - was that solo / mostly solo?  I need to do an Audax.

Good ride - was that solo / mostly solo?  I need to do an Audax.
We were a group of three. One last trying for his first ton. Just took turns on the front, or tried to [emoji23]

There seem to be quite a few Audaxes around the borders.

Nice ride in the TotB btw [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Someone died at the Tour o' the Borders today.

Apologies for the Sun link, it was the only one I could find.

I've seen a few near things at Loch Ness as well. One boy had a heart attack on the first climb out of Fort Augustus.

The comment below the article is the most Sun reader thing ever. Fucking hell. 

On 29/08/2019 at 08:44, Dunfermline Don said:

Any other P&Bers doing the Pedal for Scotland next weekend?

Was tempted since it is the last one, but got a night out on the Saturday night so going to give it a miss! Think PfS lost something when they gave into the car drivers in Edinburgh and moved the finish to Ingliston rather than it being City Centre to City Centre. 

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Was tempted since it is the last one, but got a night out on the Saturday night so going to give it a miss! Think PfS lost something when they gave into the car drivers in Edinburgh and moved the finish to Ingliston rather than it being City Centre to City Centre. 

This. And the downgrading of the stop stations. 

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

This. And the downgrading of the stop stations. 

Did they down grade them? I haven't done it since 2015 or so. Some of the stops were terrific.

Probably right to call time on it, in current form but think it is something that could have kept going if they tried!

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Did they down grade them? I haven't done it since 2015 or so. Some of the stops were terrific.

Probably right to call time on it, in current form but think it is something that could have kept going if they tried!

They certainly did downgrade. I first did it about 2007 and it was wonderful for about 6 years with entertainment at the stops and copious food and drink. Then it was queues/delays and about 2015 it terminated at Ingliston and that was the beginning of the end. Shame.

I've entered PFS again because I do quite enjoy it, even if it ends up being a bit expensive (train+hotel+entry). I'll certainly miss it, but do agree that bumping over loose gravel into Ingliston isn't quite the same as cycling through Murrayfield (even if the astroturf that one year was like glue).  Since the move I've still cycled into central Edinburgh anyway for the train home (which has its own issues - a choice of cobbles vs tram lines from Haymarket to Waverley...).

I was tempted to enter the Big Belter but I realised that it doesn't really offer anything over doing 100-miles whenever I want, other than the first 20 or so being on closed roads. If I want to do a century then I'd rather go to Edinburgh and back from Dundee while taking it at my own pace, without the pressure of a "sweep".

They certainly did downgrade. I first did it about 2007 and it was wonderful for about 6 years with entertainment at the stops and copious food and drink. Then it was queues/delays and about 2015 it terminated at Ingliston and that was the beginning of the end. Shame.

It sounds as though I have missed the best years of the event.

This is my first time and luckily my work paid the entry, as long as I raised a certain amount in sponsorship for them. Are there many hills on the route? I have been practicing in the Cleish Hills so can do a steep hill for a while.

Finishing in Ingliston is also handy for getting back to Fife.

Not that I've done a huge number of events, but Loch Ness is the best in terms of facilities, organisation and atmosphere by some distance.

ETA: Ride to the Sun is also tremendous fun. But ffs sort out transport so you don't end up riding it both directions [emoji23]

4 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

This is my first time and luckily my work paid the entry, as long as I raised a certain amount in sponsorship for them. Are there many hills on the route? I have been practicing in the Cleish Hills so can do a steep hill for a while.

They've tinkered with the route over the years but no serious hills, really. A couple of wee steep but short bits which catch out some of the once-a-year cyclists. Hope you enjoy!

17 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

So long as you’ve been on a bike at least once in the past year, you’ll be fine. There’s kids do the full route on Tesco mountain bikes...

I used to go into it thinking I needed to “train” but really there’s nothing that your lowest gear shouldn’t comfortably get you through.  The majority of the route has long flat sections where you can just go through the motions, or get up a bit of speed if you want.

Edited by The Master

I am considering selling a car and getting a bike to commute to work.

I am looking for some advice in the best way to get my suit there, uncreased and not sweaty.

Take them in a back pack and get changed? Wear them and cover them for the cycle? Keep a set at work and get changed?

Thank you in advance.

I keep stuff in work to get changed into.  I only commute on the bike a few times each week though so bring stuff in/take stuff home when I'm in the car.  I'll stick things in my backpack sometimes but it doesn't take much to be having to stuff things in if your carrying bike spares, food and wet weather gear for the bike.  Makes life a little easier to keep the weight down too.

PFS done. Strange to think that’s it but maybe it is for the best. By far the worst I’ve seen with with Wiggo wannabes. Made worse by the fact it was a cycling club. Coming up behind people at speed yelling “MOVE”. It’s  not a race FFS. There’s people of all abilities including kids.

On a more sombre note I hope the guy getting CPR at the top of the hill after Avonbridge is OK. It didn’t look good though, sadly. 

PFS done. Strange to think that’s it but maybe it is for the best. By far the worst I’ve seen with with Wiggo wannabes. Made worse by the fact it was a cycling club. Coming up behind people at speed yelling “MOVE”. It’s  not a race FFS. There’s people of all abilities including kids.
On a more sombre note I hope the guy getting CPR at the top of the hill after Avonbridge is OK. It didn’t look good though, sadly. 

This was the first time I have done PFS or anything similar so I have nothing to compare it to. I also noticed a few cyclists seemed to be treating it like a race at times.
I didn’t see the guy at Avonbridge but hope he is OK.
The main focus of the day should be enjoyment and raising money for charity.

First PFS today (and obvs last I guess) first time I've done a bigger cycling thing after a couple of Angus triathlons, and absolutely loved it. 

Couldn't stop giggling at some of the cycling clubs going like the clappers humming away.

Echo the comments on the boy at Avonbridge, hoping for the best on that.

Shout-out to the wee lassie with the lemonade stand as well, a welcome sugary boost just before the end.