Official P&b Cycling Thread

19 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

You are a beige wannabe edgelord. 

Your crapness as a human being means we can unite as people from the hard Corbyn left to the Boris right, from the most Rangers are awesome to supporters of the smallest clubs in Scotland in agreeing you are just shite. 

I do not hate you. You do not make me angry, I just feel sorry for you and treat you like an alcoholic on a park bench. You are in the way but you need our sympathy.

I actually respect Magee more than you. 

On 17/08/2019 at 07:33, Unleash The Nade said:

Lost my only Strava KOM (which has stood for 3 years), which was beaten by 13 seconds, with the rider averaging 34.6 mph for 0.7 miles , on a slightly uphill gradient  :o

This guy was either ;

A. An absolute beast, ( in that case chapeau) 

B. On an electric bike 

C. A cheating Cnut in his car 

I lost a KOM today but a quick check of the ride that beat it showed it was done in a car, or at least the section that beat the KOM was.  Quite often I see rides where someone leaves their GPS on after a ride while they're on the drive home.  

If you can be bothered, check the ride data and it should be pretty obvious if it was done in a car (eg 60 mph speed on the flat).  You can then flag the ride and get your KOM back.

I got this second-hand bike for only £30 today. I am 15 stone, and I have been suffering from Anxiety for 10 years. I think this is going to help me out a lot, and I feel like I am ready to take a big step in changing my mental and psychical health. I'm looking forward to being one with nature and seeing a lot of great views. 20190628_182554.thumb.jpg.b441c7a2f7f98c0d7280f5379ea9ca12.jpg
An update.

I have been doing this for two months now. And I am pleased to say that I have lost 3/4 quarters of a stone, can cycle around a 13 Mile Loch daily, and my stamina has improved greatly.

However, the thing I am most grateful for, is some of the amazing views I have experienced while cycling around Loch Leven. There is something so peaceful mentally about witnessing these views after a good cycle. It does your mental health wonders to get through long cycles, and keep a history of the trails you have cycled on a GPS map app (I use MapMyWalk).

Getting a bike was the best decision I have ever made. And I plead to anyone who is on the fence on buying one to get themselves one immediately. Your mental and physical health will thank you for it. It is greatly satisfying to see yourself progress from struggling to cycle 10KM a day, to cycling 20KM a day easily.

Here are a handful of pictures I took over the past few months.20190808_193214.jpeg20190725_054535.jpeg20190718_052005.jpeg20190805_202504.jpeg20190805_202146.jpeg

Retirement celebration at Leslie Bike Shop this Saturday with Andy and Fiona retiring, Andy has had the business 38 years! At least the business isn’t going to a major chain as one of the employees has bought it so it’ll still retain the atmosphere and reputation. After all these years he’s still not sold me a Bianchi! I’ve walked in to buy one and came out with Cannondales and Meridas amongst other things!

Edited by statts1976uk

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 16:53, Sigma said:

An update.

I have been doing this for two months now. And I am pleased to say that I have lost 3/4 quarters of a stone, can cycle around a 13 Mile Loch daily, and my stamina has improved greatly.

However, the thing I am most grateful for, is some of the amazing views I have experienced while cycling around Loch Leven. There is something so peaceful mentally about witnessing these views after a good cycle. It does your mental health wonders to get through long cycles, and keep a history of the trails you have cycled on a GPS map app (I use MapMyWalk).

Getting a bike was the best decision I have ever made. And I plead to anyone who is on the fence on buying one to get themselves one immediately. Your mental and physical health will thank you for it. It is greatly satisfying to see yourself progress from struggling to cycle 10KM a day, to cycling 20KM a day easily.

Superb stuff, really glad it has made a difference to your life. 

21 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 28/08/2019 at 20:44, Gnash said:
Anyone else doing the Tour o' the Borders this Sunday?

I'm not but my sister and her husband are going back again as they really enjoyed it last year. Seems to be very well run with fantastic scenery. They did say the big hill (Talla?) is an absolute killer though.

Yeah, it's tough. Short but very steep ramps.

19 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm doing the Bealach Mor event this weekend. I think it's going to hurt emoji23.png

Talla isn't as tough as Bealach na Ba though - enjoy!

Edited by Gnash

13 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Any other P&Bers doing the Pedal for Scotland next weekend?

I was going to at least do the Classic but my son wants to do the Wee Jaunt again this year. A question of etiquette though, is it the done thing to drop him for being too slow😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Yeah, it's tough. Short but very steep ramps.

Talls isn't as tough as Bealach na Ba though - enjoy!

I was hoping for something like "It's not actually that bad" 😂

I'm theorising that it will be no worse than Cairn o'Mount - twice the ascent but over three times the distance. The other 83 miles in shit weather will be challenging also 😂

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I was hoping for something like "It's not actually that bad" 😂

I'm theorising that it will be no worse than Cairn o'Mount - twice the ascent but over three times the distance. The other 83 miles in shit weather will be challenging also 😂

If you're doing it from the east, Bealach na Ba is an easy 5% or so for the first half (in terms of distance, not time).  But it ratchets up and there is a murderously steep section of 1km at 16%.  That's the closest I've come to getting off the bike and walking.

5 minutes ago, Gnash said:

If you're doing it from the east, Bealach na Ba is an easy 5% or so for the first half (in terms of distance, not time).  But it ratchets up and there is a murderously steep section of 1km at 16%.  That's the closest I've come to getting off the bike and walking.

I've driven it a few times, but I can't remember that section. Is it just before the switchbacks?

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've driven it a few times, but I can't remember that section. Is it just before the switchbacks?

Yes, the switchbacks come as a relief after the really steep bit.  There's a Strava segment of 700m at 19%, but that might be a slight exaggeration by the GPS.

Yes, the switchbacks come as a relief after the really steep bit.  There's a Strava segment of 700m at 19%, but that might be a slight exaggeration by the GPS.
Didn't do it [emoji23]

We were staying in Annat, forecast was shite. Set the alarm for 6:45, took one look out the window at torrential rain and wind and went back to bed. f**k that [emoji23]. We passed a few finishers on the way home through Glen Torridon, they looked fucking shattered.

Went out today on a local Audax, 105 miles at 15mph and 5800ft ascent. Wrecked after it. Glad I didn't do the Bealach, I'm not as fit as I was a month ago.