Official P&b Cycling Thread

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
11 minutes ago, Kuro said:
I just bought a crappy.second.hand mountain bike online.  However the handles are very uncomfortable, can you buy replacemnts that fit right over them.that are much softer?  

Aye, you can buy all sorts of handlebar grips. It's easy enough to pry the old ones off with a bread knife.

I'm seeing tape online would that be easier?

Anyone doing Ride to the Sun this year? Also how easy/hellish is it to cycle from the finish at Cramond to the Tay Road Bridge? The logistics are a pain so I'm considering a one way train to Carlisle then effectively cycling from there to Forfar.

^^^
Thuggery apologist / AKA cyclist.   

Less of the fat shaming and mocking genetically inherited illnesses, please.   

"Back on track" not my words P & B but the words of Grahame Obree when he crashed out the velodrome.    
[emoji38]

Fat c**t

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:09, jupe1407 said:

Did the Cairn o'Mount challenge today. 82 miles of brutal climbing, seethe inducing headwinds and only about 10 miles of enjoyable downhill. 7000+ feet of ascent was quite testing as well, as was the route.

My car struggles up Cairn o'Mount so I can't even imagine cycling up it!! Great effort.

10 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

My car struggles up Cairn o'Mount so I can't even imagine cycling up it!! Great effort.

Cheers. It's just a long grind (seems a lot longer than 2 miles). The worst bit is definitely the steep ramp which cuts hard left before the viewpoint car park. I think it's about 18%. The worst climb of the day though was the road up to the Caterthuns a few miles before the end. I'd mapped the route on Strava at about 6400 feet total ascent. I got to the bottom of the climb with the Wahoo showing I'd done 6150 feet. "200 feet? Piece of piss". A mile of 10-11% later and I was fucked. Also pretty seething to discover the route was actually 7000 or so :lol:

113 miles through Perthshire today as part of my mate's ironman triathlon training.  My legs feel surprising ok at the moment... that may change tomorrow.

Edited by Gnash

Having done the Forfar and Montrose triathlon over the last couple of years, signed up for the Muthill Sportive along with my pal, with no idea or concept as to how far 18 miles was. Turns, out, not very, and our leisurely pace saw us finish first and second against a bunch of kids and middle aged folk by about 8 minutes like a couple of p***ks. :lol:

34 or 70 next year seems a more suitable distance. Any suggestions for routes through Lanarkshire hugely appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Having done the Forfar and Montrose triathlon over the last couple of years, signed up for the Muthill Sportive along with my pal, with no idea or concept as to how far 18 miles was. Turns, out, not very, and our leisurely pace saw us finish first and second against a bunch of kids and middle aged folk by about 8 minutes like a couple of p***ks. :lol:

34 or 70 next year seems a more suitable distance. Any suggestions for routes through Lanarkshire hugely appreciated. 

I recently took a splendid run with the Glasgow ctc group. Starting at Carluke we wound our way through lots of wee places to West Calder. Lunch at the wee zoo there, then returned via Fauldhouse and Shotts. Up high and windy but well worth the effort. 

10 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I recently took a splendid run with the Glasgow ctc group. Starting at Carluke we wound our way through lots of wee places to West Calder. Lunch at the wee zoo there, then returned via Fauldhouse and Shotts. Up high and windy but well worth the effort. 

I'd literally just bumbled across them on meet-up, that sounds ideal.

Cheers!

My daughter has just learned how to ride her bike, so I'm thinking that I'm going to get myself a bike so I can take her away for bike rides during the summer.  I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive, but decent quality bike.  I'm not sure what type I'd want though.  I think either a mountain bike or Hybrid type?

My daughter has just learned how to ride her bike, so I'm thinking that I'm going to get myself a bike so I can take her away for bike rides during the summer.  I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive, but decent quality bike.  I'm not sure what type I'd want though.  I think either a mountain bike or Hybrid type?

Likely a hybrid, or if you can do a bit of combing gumtree, the ideal might be an old steel 90s MTB - Kona Cindercone, Specialized Rockhopper, something like that. Inexpensive MTB usually means adding weight in suspension that doesn't work. By the same token, assume any second hand bike suspension won't have ever been serviced properly unless it's something high end and not inexpensive. Folks here seem to like Decathlon for bikes but I skipped the country not long after they opened in the UK so can't vouch personally.