Official P&b Cycling Thread

Had my revolution - sora - Carbon forked road bike for 7 years now, did 20,000kms on it, now needing the usual 'everything' cassettes-chain-derailers etc...thinking about upgrading but don't really see the point splashing out for a brand new  bike when i can pick up a 1 y old Focus Cayo Tiagra for £350......any thoughts?

I'm hoping to do a sponsored cycle to raise money and awareness for a genetic condition that one of my little nephews has.  Without mocking me I've actually never had a bike (I was a cool kid with a skateboard) and I actually only started to learn how to ride one on Saturday :lol:

Has anybody any suggestions on easy enough cycle routes for a sponsored cycle?  My wife and I have hoped that the 'gimmick' of me learning how to ride a bike would actually help draw peoples attention in and give us a better chance of making more money.

Thanks!

I'm hoping to do a sponsored cycle to raise money and awareness for a genetic condition that one of my little nephews has.  Without mocking me I've actually never had a bike (I was a cool kid with a skateboard) and I actually only started to learn how to ride one on Saturday :lol:
Has anybody any suggestions on easy enough cycle routes for a sponsored cycle?  My wife and I have hoped that the 'gimmick' of me learning how to ride a bike would actually help draw peoples attention in and give us a better chance of making more money.
Thanks!

Not sure where you live but the canal path from Glasgow to Falkirk is pretty easy going. How far are you intending to go?

In other news I was out for the second time this year but the previous trip was just to check equipment so only a few miles. On Saturday I did 23 miles which is a lot less than I would normally do. The first 20 miles were a breeze as expected but when I got back into Kilmarnock the last few miles absolutely destroyed me - as in stop at the side of the road not sure if you need to just walk levels of destruction. Got home and couldn’t get up the stairs.

In further news this is a great initiative by Police Scotland https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48181424

5 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Not sure where you live but the canal path from Glasgow to Falkirk is pretty easy going. How far are you intending to go?

Aberdeen and I've no idea really.  Need to get more confident first and see what I can do before choosing a length.  Was more just for ideas of what is available and see if there are any I like the sound of.

Aberdeen and I've no idea really.  Need to get more confident first and see what I can do before choosing a length.  Was more just for ideas of what is available and see if there are any I like the sound of.

Try to cycle from Pittodrie to the site of the new ground apparently it’s about 30 miles outside of Aberdeen.

14 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

This might appeal, very quiet roads usually and pretty flat.

http://www.morayways.org.uk/routedetails.asp?routeid=120

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Try to cycle from Pittodrie to the site of the new ground apparently it’s about 30 miles outside of Aberdeen.

I don't think even an experienced cyclist would manage that. 

7 hours ago, Kmeister said:

BBC News - Plain-clothes police cyclists target 'too close' drivers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48181424
I wonder if they will be concentrating their efforts on Kia drivers in Perthshire?

The state of the comments section on that article.

The Venn diagram of motorists who hate cyclists and Brexit voters is a perfect circle.

"Make them pay road tax!" "Sometimes they ride 2 abreast!" "I seen one run a red light once!!!"

How about maybe not driving your car into people?

9 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The state of the comments section on that article.

The Venn diagram of motorists who hate cyclists and Brexit voters is a perfect circle.

"Make them pay road tax!" "Sometimes they ride 2 abreast!" "I seen one run a red light once!!!"

How about maybe not driving your car into people?

You should meet my Mrs. As anti brexit as they come, but an utter seething mess when it comes to cyclists.

I just bought a crappy.second.hand mountain bike online.  However the handles are very uncomfortable, can you buy replacemnts that fit right over them.that are much softer?  
Aye, you can buy all sorts of handlebar grips. It's easy enough to pry the old ones off with a bread knife.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
11 minutes ago, Kuro said:
I just bought a crappy.second.hand mountain bike online.  However the handles are very uncomfortable, can you buy replacemnts that fit right over them.that are much softer?  

Aye, you can buy all sorts of handlebar grips. It's easy enough to pry the old ones off with a bread knife.

I'm seeing tape online would that be easier?

Anyone doing Ride to the Sun this year? Also how easy/hellish is it to cycle from the finish at Cramond to the Tay Road Bridge? The logistics are a pain so I'm considering a one way train to Carlisle then effectively cycling from there to Forfar.