Official P&b Cycling Thread

15 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I see the fat, sad , pathetic ,attention seeking , stalking , Kia driving , racist , homophobe is back in our midst.

I wonder how long it’ll take before he’s banned yet again 

Let it go man, this is bunny boiling levels of obsession.

Back on topic, four of us are cycling from Dunbar to Newcastle in a couple of weeks time. 110 miles or thereabouts.
Once we cross the border it looks pretty flat so hopefully the sun will be shining and a breeze coming from the North.

43 minutes ago, Kmeister said:

Back on topic, four of us are cycling from Dunbar to Newcastle in a couple of weeks time. 110 miles or thereabouts.
Once we cross the border it looks pretty flat so hopefully the sun will be shining and a breeze coming from the North.

Good luck with that 

Hopefully you’ll get a tailwind some of the way 

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

@statts1976uk

Did you ever decide on a new bike ?

If not Leslie Bikes have some cracking daily TDF deals 

Unfortunately the Bianchis that are in the deals are 55 and I need a 57. I’m recovering from a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so haven’t had much saddle time so it looks like I’ll end up waiting for the November open day to bag a bargain.

48 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Unfortunately the Bianchis that are in the deals are 55 and I need a 57. I’m recovering from a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so haven’t had much saddle time so it looks like I’ll end up waiting for the November open day to bag a bargain.

Ouch !

Sounds painful .. speedy recovery 

I’m sure you’ll eventually get one that fits the bill 

43 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Ouch !

Sounds painful .. speedy recovery 

I’m sure you’ll eventually get one that fits the bill 

At the open day they usually have the team bikes for sale at huge discounts. I quite fancy seeing if I can bag one this year. 

The Aria might have to take a bit of a backseat as I’m heading back north for work and I’ve been told there is a bit of a MTB scene with the guys there. My Merida Big-Nine might not cut it!!

20 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

At the open day they usually have the team bikes for sale at huge discounts. I quite fancy seeing if I can bag one this year. 

The Aria might have to take a bit of a backseat as I’m heading back north for work and I’ve been told there is a bit of a MTB scene with the guys there. My Merida Big-Nine might not cut it!!

Same mtb as me 

I used it on a coast to coast cycle across Scotland last year , over some very tough terrain when everyone else was using full suspension mtb’s and it more than coped with everything.

Imo one of the best and toughest value for money hard tails available 

25 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Same mtb as me 

I used it on a coast to coast cycle across Scotland last year , over some very tough terrain when everyone else was using full suspension mtb’s and it more than coped with everything.

Imo one of the best and toughest value for money hard tails available 

That’s good to hear, I’ve not really used it much in anger yet as it was bought primarily for cycling with my kids. I was toying between new bike or upgrading the front forks. I did have a plan to convert it to a 1x11 which has also been put on hold due to my injury.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s me away on my charity trip.

France tomorrow, Switzerland Monday, Germany, Belgium and then Holland.

Going to chance my arm with a drive to Liege on Tuesday night as it’s only an hour from my hotel in Germany and see if I can get into their CL qualifier with Ajax.

Other plan is really just to visit as many football grounds as I can.

I picked up a cracking deal on a ex-display Bianchi Oltre XR3 ultegra this week had it out for it's first spin tonight, definitely a big upgrade on the old Triban.  Also got myself up Bealach na Ba last week which was fun.

Anybody got any experience with shimano quick links?  I've been using KMC chains and quick links on the old bike for a while without any bother but decided to stick with the shimano chain on the new bike.  Was a battle to try and get the quick link on, bent my pliers and eventually gave up and just shoved a 9 speed one on it so I could get the bike out the door.  Are other branded links ok to put on a shimano chain?  

Cycled from Dunbar to Newcastle yesterday. 108 miles and 4850 feet of climbing. The majority of the route past Berwick was all stony tracks and pretty shite to cycle along. Not helped by the two punctures I got. The last bit into Newcastle was not helped by a headwind.
The train we got back was only 5 1/2 hours late which put a bit of a damper on the day.

A couple of updates from my trip so far:

France is shit for cycling.
France is shit for speed cameras.
The French road system of changing the speed limit every 10 miles is frustrating.

Switzerland is the cleanest country I’ve ever been in.
Switzerland is the place to go for cycling, the roads are absolutely immense I can’t remember a single rough road never mind any potholes. They charge you 40CHF just to drive into the country which annoyed me but after seeing the quality of the roads (and width of cycle paths) they clearly reinvest the tax.

Germany tomorrow.

Europe is fucking roasting.

I took a spill on the way in to work this morning. I had put gatorskins on hopefully reduce the number of punctures on the commuter and discover they've f**k all grip in the wet. Espeically when you bombing it round mini roundabouts. 

17 hours ago, ark loyal said:

I took a spill on the way in to work this morning. I had put gatorskins on hopefully reduce the number of punctures on the commuter and discover they've f**k all grip in the wet. Espeically when you bombing it round mini roundabouts. 

I’ve used Gatorskins on my winter bike for years and they’re fine 

However ,quite a lot of people think the tred on gator skins and other similar road tyres are for grip, but they’re mainly for water dispersal.

One word of eating though .

If you go out on your bike after quite a long dry spell and the roads are wet , they get particularly slippy as the rain mixes with all the dust, diesel etc that’s not been washed away for weeks, so be extra cautious .

Also try and avoid  and white road markings when turning as they also become slippy as f**k