Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm having some real issues with my rear derailleur.  

I noticed my chain slipping a few rides ago and ignored it.  Then yesterday my chain completely fell off the small rear sprocket and kind of got wedged into the frame.  I just managed to get my feet unclipped in, lucky I was going downhill.   

I had a rear wheel puncture just before these issues started.  I took real care taking the wheel off and putting it back on but I assume there is a chance I've fucked the derailleur doing this?

Any advice would be appreciated.  I've read a bit about adjusting and tuning the rear derailleur but I don't really want to start messing around and making it worse.  At the same time though I'm looking to start to learn how to fix issues on my own.

You might have bent the derailleur hanger. There's plenty of videos online to help diagnose this.

I had something similar where the derailleur chainrings were very worn causing the chain to rattle and skip off. Check to see if this is causing it. Replacements can be bought cheaply and are pretty easy to replace.

Another day on the bike, this time MTB into the West end of Loch Fannich to hillwalk the central three Munros. Managed one as I was clearly fucked after the previous two days biking and am now totally wrecked [emoji38]

IMG_20180508_193450.thumb.jpg.ef7000572d67a4343b5d90fda6fafdac.jpg

I'm planning to go back to my local shop on Saturday to get quoted for my chosen bike, which I'll then use to get the Cyclescheme voucher.

I'm definitely going to go for one of the Specialized models, but I'm still not sure which one. 

The Specialized Diverge: https://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/products/specialized-diverge-e5-2018
...and the Sport version: https://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/products/specialized-diverge-e5-sport-2018

When I asked in the shop, I was told that they're basically the same bike, except the Sport has better tires, a better crankset, and a 9-speed vs 8-speed rear gearset.

I'm just wondering if the extra £200 is worth it for that? I'll be buying other stuff as well (pedals* for a start - which is a first for me :lol:) , so it's a case of whether or not it's worth spending the entire £1,000 voucher on just the bike and buying the rest with normal money, or if I should go for the £800 version and have £200 tax-free left?

My current logic is that I'd probably have been happy to drop £800 of normal money, so using the Cyclescheme effectively means I get a better bike for less than I was happy to pay (savings are ~£250). But if it's not really worth it, it would be a bit of a waste.

*Speaking of which, I'm not sure I want to go head-first (possibly literally...) into the world of clipless on shiny new bike. Does it seem rational to get normal pedals for now, but also get clipless ones for my current bike to essentially practice on? Or should I, ahem, "man up" and just go for it?

1 hour ago, The Master said:

*Speaking of which, I'm not sure I want to go head-first (possibly literally...) into the world of clipless on shiny new bike. Does it seem rational to get normal pedals for now, but also get clipless ones for my current bike to essentially practice on? Or should I, ahem, "man up" and just go for it?

Go for it. The effects may be small but you'll waste less energy through feet not bending/wriggling/slipping; you'll like like you've got a bit more power and acceleration. You'll like keel over a couple of times when you come to a stop but it will soon be second nature. 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Go for it. The effects may be small but you'll waste less energy through feet not bending/wriggling/slipping; you'll like like you've got a bit more power and acceleration. You'll like keel over a couple of times when you come to a stop but it will soon be second nature. 

Yeh the feet clip-ins are great but you will have a couple of embarrassing moments.  Especially when trying to push off uphill.

It’s actually 1.5m in the UK.

That top picture, which has been so hilariously modified into the bottom one, is from Canada where the 1m stipulated in law is widely considered insufficient. 

When driving I tend to pass with roughly the width of the van or car, it makes no difference to anyone's journey time.

Anyway a nice sunny day and a wee ride to Troon for me..

Edited by bennett
Autocorrect thingy.

That's me ordered the Specialized Diverge Sport.

a7e51918d4fd67aec901cc3a6d064189a3319a9c 

I've also requested the Cyclescheme voucher, so it's now up to my employer to approve it. No reason for them not to - it's within the allowed limit, and I've >12 months on my contract.

I'm going to ask them to fit the different seat post adjuster that will allow for a rack to be fitted, but I'm going to hold off actually putting one on. I only use my work laptop for work so I can actually leave it in my office, which means I only need to find a way to transport a change of clothes.

I'm probably going to keep my hybrid now as well, so it could be that a couple of days a week I take that with panniers to swap changes of clothes. Or if I know I need to come home via the shops and want to cycle that day.

I can't help but think, though, that owning two bikes is a slippery slope :lol: 

On 05/04/2018 at 21:14, Unleash The Nade said:

Out cycling with area tonight and a car passed so close to me it’s wing mirror hit my elbow and the driver  failed to stop.

Driver reported and will hopefully get charged with dangerous driving.

We need to start reporting these total p***ks 

Quite ironic there’s a few posts on the thread recently regarding safe passing space for cars to give cyclists, as I’ve just been informed the twat who hit me has been charged with dangerous driving .

Pleasing :)

On 12/05/2018 at 09:19, The Master said:

It’s actually 1.5m in the UK.

That top picture, which has been so hilariously modified into the bottom one, is from Canada where the 1m stipulated in law is widely considered insufficient. 

Well said @The Master

Meanwhile , the misinformed , stalking,  simpleton continues to be a source of amusement for all fellow cyclists on here