Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 19 July 2016 at 22:23, dorlomin said:

Does Scotland have any mass participation over night rides?

The Dunoon Dynamo Full Moon Sportive happened the last two years. Unfortunately this year's event had a low take up because it clashed with other rides (including the Ride to the Sun). It has feed stops, had a party at the Rest and be Thankful and some of the best views in Scotland when the sun comes up...

44 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Has anyone done the accreditation levels at the Hoy velodrome?  Mrs got me a gift voucher for it months ago finally booked it only the first level but will probably do all 4 if i enjoy it.

I did the first two then couldn't get booked onto the level 3 for love nor money. Would love to go back to do it all again though.

1 hour ago, Nipples said:

I did the first two then couldn't get booked onto the level 3 for love nor money. Would love to go back to do it all again though.

Well I've only got the first one at the moment but i assume i'll go for the lot once done.  I take it you never did get the others

I'm cycling from Kilmacolm, where I grew up to Dunbar, where I now live next month. The bulk of the trip will be along the Forth. & Clyde Canal and then the Union Canal. Does anyone know whether the paths are decent enough to cycle along?

1 minute ago, Tyskie said:

Well stop riding on the fucking pavements mate, and stop attacking innocent pensioners.  

Then, and only then can you be considered as equal to the common car-dwelling motorist.

Colourless green ideas sleep furiously. 

51 minutes ago, Kmeister said:

I'm cycling from Kilmacolm, where I grew up to Dunbar, where I now live next month. The bulk of the trip will be along the Forth. & Clyde Canal and then the Union Canal. Does anyone know whether the paths are decent enough to cycle along?

Hi Kmeister. I did the Edinburgh to Glasgow run along the canals, Last February. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Started at Fountainbridge at 9am, paths icy. Narrow at places, going under bridges and over the aqueducts. Spectacular views. Some muddy bits - my then new bike finished in a right mess. Enjoyed the Falkirk Tunnel and the Wheel - excellent lunch stop. Cold day and my frozen water bottles never thawed. Arrived at my daughter's flat in Glasgow thoroughly dehydrated at 5pm! The only thing I'd say is don't do it on a road bike. Enjoy, and please report back!

Hi Kmeister. I did the Edinburgh to Glasgow run along the canals, Last February. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Started at Fountainbridge at 9am, paths icy. Narrow at places, going under bridges and over the aqueducts. Spectacular views. Some muddy bits - my then new bike finished in a right mess. Enjoyed the Falkirk Tunnel and the Wheel - excellent lunch stop. Cold day and my frozen water bottles never thawed. Arrived at my daughter's flat in Glasgow thoroughly dehydrated at 5pm! The only thing I'd say is don't do it on a road bike. Enjoy, and please report back!

Thanks for the info. I've cycled from Broxburn to Edinburgh along the canal and it's not too bad once you get to Ratho. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer in August but the way the weather is going that could be doubtful. Going West to East as the wind will hopefully be behind us. I'll report back and let you know how I get on.

Anyone in the Cumbernauld area want to arrange a ride?

I'm a lapsed cyclist, but have started riding a route up Slamannan way. I'm only managing to get out every couple of weeks and need some motivation. Midweek evenings or Saturday / Sunday mornings would suit if anyone's interested.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 July 2016 at 14:09, flyingscot said:

PFS for me was usually 8am depart house, 8:30am start, finish back of 12/12.30 and back in house for about 2pm. 

I wouldn't have minded a couple more hours and back in at 4pm whilst avoiding the 5am start for 110 miles!

Admittedly I do quite enjoy PFS. I can't pin down precisely what it is, but there's just something about the day that's...well, enjoyable. It goes beyond the actual cycling as well - the rest stops, the finish etc. It's probably connected to enjoying my first one, and so subsequent events have brought back good memories. 

But I would like a 70-mile option. That would be a nice wee stepping stone towards the 100+ miler which I'm determined to do one day, whether that be PFS or something else.

I do have this itch that keeps resurfacing about cycling to whatever Dundee's furthest away game is, for charity. But I'm not sure I could find anyone else mad enough to do it with me.

Anyone else do the Tour o the Borders today?  Very windy, which meant some hellish sections of grinding away at 10mph, but also zipped up a 3% climb at 18mph with a tailwind.  Overall a very enjoyable 75 miles and would like to do it again.

On 8/5/2016 at 23:27, The Master said:

I do have this itch that keeps resurfacing about cycling to whatever Dundee's furthest away game is, for charity. But I'm not sure I could find anyone else mad enough to do it with me.

Yeah I have thought of something similar since relegation has taken away huge trips to highlands. Dundee United is our longest trip now, but would mean leaving Paisley probably near 4am to make sure you get there for a 3pm game!