Jehovah's Witnesses

Swampy

20 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I think the Kingdom Hall that was in Easthouses is now a mosque?

Where is the Kingdom Hall in Mayfeild? Cannae quite place it.

20 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Stone Place I think. But it's called the gospel hall.

Gospel Halls are very different to Kingdom Halls.

Well only in part.  JWs and Brethren have a cultural overlap in that both tend to be quite exclusive to outsiders and see themselves as exclusive.  They also tend to marry within their respective community and tend to have friends within the same community.  Sociologically?  They are both close to being cults.

Theologically they are poles apart.  The Gospel Hall movement is very much an orthodox, reformed, Christian, trinitarian, sola scriptura organisation .  The JWs are not as they eschew trinitarianism and embrace extra-Biblical revelation.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not whilst I'm sober.

Was that in 1963? Sorry to perpetuate your stereotype, and why do the JWs try to recruit new members while already having heaven so full that it's unlikely they'll get in?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Was that in 1963? Sorry to perpetuate your stereotype, and why do the JWs try to recruit new members while already having heaven so full that it's unlikely they'll get in?

They are demonstrating their devotion to God to make sure they get in, not trying to recruit you.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They are demonstrating their devotion to God to make sure they get in, not trying to recruit you.

Why would God give nice tits to a con artist? I'll put my trust in them rather than a heathen louche, thank you very much.

Where I live there’s a Catholic Church, a gospel hall and a Masonic lodge in the same street.  I’ve always wondered about that gospel hall.  They all act super nice when I walk by.  Problem is they’re all coffin dodgers.  Stick a few wids in there and I’d be clawing at the door like a hungry dog.

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Gospel Halls are very different to Kingdom Halls.

Well only in part.  JWs and Brethren have a cultural overlap in that both tend to be quite exclusive to outsiders and see themselves as exclusive.  They also tend to marry within their respective community and tend to have friends within the same community.  Sociologically?  They are both close to being cults.

Theologically they are poles apart.  The Gospel Hall movement is very much an orthodox, reformed, Christian, trinitarian, sola scriptura organisation .  The JWs are not as they eschew trinitarianism and embrace extra-Biblical revelation.

Thanks for the extra info. I think we were both aware they were different, we just got our wires crossed in the discussion.

I take it the Brethren don't do door-knocking either?

I heard a rumour that the Brethren won't break bread with the non-believers. Brethren next door decided to invite the neighbours round to get to know everybody, and we had a decent gathering with lots of home baking. But I kept urging the husband to take a rest from serving everybody else and sit down and take something. But he kept saying he would get something later, which was quite plausible, but got me wondering.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Thanks for the extra info. I think we were both aware they were different, we just got our wires crossed in the discussion.

I take it the Brethren don't do door-knocking either?

I heard a rumour that the Brethren won't break bread with the non-believers. Brethren next door decided to invite the neighbours round to get to know everybody, and we had a decent gathering with lots of home baking. But I kept urging the husband to take a rest from serving everybody else and sit down and take something. But he kept saying he would get something later, which was quite plausible, but got me wondering.

Not unless they were holding a mission or a special service, and even then it's unlikely. As T_K has intimated , they're very much a don't be yoked with unbelievers outfit.

1 hour ago, rodeoranger said:

Why have you signed up to a Scottish football forum to post about Jehovas Witnesses?

I see the Jehovah's aren't the only people utterly obsessed with a dead guy. 

51 minutes ago, Menzel said:

I see the Jehovah's aren't the only people utterly obsessed with a dead guy. 

What killed Miguel in the end?

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:29, Snafu said:
Looks like a badly put together album artwork for a cheesy thrash metal band from the 80's
Related image

Sad to say but no cats made it out.
Image result for jehovah's witnesses artwork

you'd almost think cats were evil spawns of the devil or something...

5c8153d146003_smudgerlook.jpg.19e7d5f41db30d0cd520b8d2d89dba2e.jpg

Why have you signed up to a Scottish football forum to post about Jehovas Witnesses?

Why have you signed up to a Scottish football forum to post questioning why someone has signed up to a Scottish football forum to post about Jehovas witnesses?

Archived