Private Eye

djn

I buy it often and agree completely. It is amusing, but shouldn't be seen as a funny publication - it prints the stories that the majority of the media are frightened to touch.

If anyone wants to know what really goes on in Britain, forget the broadsheets. Private Eye will horrify you.

There's a few big stories that nobody touched, like the one about the Saudi guy using charitable money for wrong doing (can't remember the details), they covered the story abou Tesco's tax "dodges" well before the Guardian did (and were sued for it), essential reading (with a few jokes thrown in)

Daily Mail

World Exclusive: Diana, Still Dead.

...but how will this affect house prices? :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 years later...

Subscribed for about the last 15 years.

Have they ever printed a favourable book review?

Actually they did a few months back. Needless to say the last sentence read: "Too positive- you're fired- Ed"

They also did quite a nice tribute to George MacDonald Fraser when he died- under the headline "Things you really will miss" was a short Flashman pastiche.

Actually they did a few months back. Needless to say the last sentence read: "Too positive- you're fired- Ed"

They also did quite a nice tribute to George MacDonald Fraser when he died- under the headline "Things you really will miss" was a short Flashman pastiche.

Do you realise you've replied to a post from 7 years ago, tam?

I've been reading it off and on for 40+ years, used to be a subscriber, I've bound copies from years ago lying around somewhere.

My favourite cover was President Nixon with his trademark grin and a bubble coming out of his mouth - "Nobody is going to shoot me with Spiro T Agnew next in line".

£1.80. It's a bargain given how much reading is in it, but you always close it more angry than you opened it. The "care" home stories they run with are harrowing.

I love reading Private Eye but that's pretty much how I feel after I've gone through it. Big fan of Ian Hislop as well. Some of his clashes with politicians on HIGNFY are thoroughly enjoyable. One of the more recent ones with Mensch was very pleasing.

It's ridiculously cheap if you get a subsciption. Rotten Boroughs and Nooks & Corners are my favourites/the bits that often get me angriest. The levels of casual corruption in our local councils never fails to astonish.

ETA: £28 for 26 issues!

Archived