Independence For Scotland

Scotlands future.  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As seen this week Wendy alexander has called on the SNP to bring forward the referendum and have it in the next 12 months however Alex Salmond has said he will wait till 2010 as said in his manifesto.

We always see the opinion of the "educated and high and mighty" Im just curious to see the opinion of average joes like myself as it will affect us most.

So what do you think?

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ron Burgundy
independence for me!!!

ive been to most of the ex soviet states and they seem to be getting on nicely so why shouldnt we

:huh:

jesus fucking titties.

Would like independence, but only when I'm convinced it will benefit me which I am not right now. For now at least I'm against.

independence for me!!!

ive been to most of the ex soviet states and they seem to be getting on nicely so why shouldnt we

Yep thats why the people there are flocking like rats to the highly prosperous nation that is Scotland.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

Complete independence for Scotland and the end of the monarchy in Scotland. Also Scotland not to be part of the Commonwealth.

Back to being ruled by a Westminster parliament for me.

Same here.

Taxes would go through the roof, the SNP have put a hold on Council Tax this year because they are getting increased hand out from London, which they in turn give to the local councils. Local Council accounts for only around 15-20% of the Councils outright budget for the year. If we were independent then obviously the money from London would cease, and the shortfall would have to be made through taxation, either direct from our salaries or paid over in council tax. Given the credit crunch that is with us just now, I can't see Scotland surviving financially on it's own.

Same here.

Taxes would go through the roof, the SNP have put a hold on Council Tax this year because they are getting increased hand out from London, which they in turn give to the local councils. Local Council accounts for only around 15-20% of the Councils outright budget for the year. If we were independent then obviously the money from London would cease, and the shortfall would have to be made through taxation, either direct from our salaries or paid over in council tax. Given the credit crunch that is with us just now, I can't see Scotland surviving financially on it's own.

[/quote

Fair point however other small countrys manage quite well.And the revenue from our Whiskey exports and dare i say it Oil would go a long way towards helping.

Independence please.

I'd much rather that decisions on defence, taxation, the welfare state and other reserved matters were taken in Edinburgh.

This will no doubt develop into the usual slanging match, but I've read many reports that suggest that Scotland contributes as much as it receives from central government. The real scroungers are some of the English regions, Wales and Northern Irelend.

For all our shared cultural and historical links, the challennges facing Scotland would be better tackled from within Scotland IMO. If I was looking to gain election to Westmisnter, I'd ensure my party's policies were tailored to winning the 500+ seats available in England rather than the 59 up for grabs in Scotland.

Archived