Urban Exploration

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also reckon that, with the size of Grangemouth's industry, there must be a fair amount of AA guns and defences stationed around the Falkirk area for wartime protection? I wonder where they are.

I've no idea if there is or not, just speculating, but I'd reckon there would be.

Not really, as the industry in Grangemouth developed after the war.

Scaled the wall for a bit of urbexing at Firs Park last month. It's a building site now, place has been completely bulldozed. Stand and floodlights gone now and the turf has been dug up. Was in before that for a look when it was still intact so wasn't too disappointed.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/forum/'>http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/forum/

Secret Scotland is quite a good website for things like this.

As mentioned on the first page of the thread bandeath is quite a cool place to visit.

My original link takes you to the forum.

This takes you to the wiki page where there is loads of photos.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/

I went back to the abandoned Glenfarg Railway Tunnels on my way back up the M90 on Sunday. Still recommend even if it was boggy underfoot in places between the two tunnels (totally dry in tunnels though, dry up to first one). Even as a seasoned caver used to being in the dark, I still found them a bit creepy and spooky.

30 min driving break: Turn of M90 and go into Bridge of Earn, turn left down B road towards Dron and keep following the road for a couple of miles until you get to the obvious bit where a railway bridge once crossed the road (right before the uphill woodland). Just park at the side of the road and the first tunnel (~460m long) is a 5 min walk along the old track heading away from the motorway. You can see them quite clearly on Google Earth where the old line just stops and reapperars out the hills.

post-13234-0-27894000-1335342894_thumb.j

Fantastic thread, no idea so many places of interest throughout the country.

I'm on my phone so cant post the link, but there was a couple of guys who spend a weekend in a naval graveyard, got some amazing picture, they even managed to find the old experimental stealth ship named the Sea Shadow (google it)

Brillant stuff

Not really, as the industry in Grangemouth developed after the war.

Isnt the BP (or whatever its called now) premises on the site of Grangemouth airport.

I didnt even know there had ever been an airport there until I went to the Grangemouth Stadium last year, it has a couple of photos of it in the reception area.

There's an abandoned military facility outside Tain (memory not what it used to be, but it's either heading out of town past the Glenmorangie distillery or it's the opposite direction on the road between Tain and Portmahomack) that we used to cycle down to as kids. It has tunnels linking the buildings under the fields and various concrete buildings that you can climb in and out of. It looks very similar to the bunker complex in the fields in Dumbarton next to the Allied Distillery bonded warehouses.

Been at the site several times, it is now owned by the same company that own Scotland's Secret Bunker. However due to asbestos polution as a result of arson several years ago it has been sealed up and there are no longer any plans to develop the bunker like the one in Fife. Rather unfortunate as it is apparently a more extensive bunker complex.

As for the question on tresspassing it should be noted that even walking on the route of lifted as opposed to unused railway lines could still leave you liable to prosecution where it is still owned by Network Rail, but there's never likely to be anybody there to instigate this action. Recently wandered the line from Renfrew to Paisley that was one of the options for the GARL. Then continued on the old line to Kilmacolm as I was on the last train to serve the village in 1983.

I was up there walking the dog last week and there was a "secret bunker" van parked at the entrance and some sort of activity going on, so hopefully they maybe have plans to do something with it after all.

• 5 months later...

I was up there walking the dog last week and there was a "secret bunker" van parked at the entrance and some sort of activity going on, so hopefully they maybe have plans to do something with it after all.

From what I gather the boy who owns the place in Fife has now also purchased this and plans to eventually open it as a visitor centre but there's a shitload of asbestos to be removed first which is time consuming and very costly.

That's the old admirality place near Throsk, it was used for weapons and munitions storage during WW2, my Pop (who is from Airth now, but Fallin originally) told me.

There are remnants of the old industrial railway line that used to go to Grangemouth and beyond still there.

A very spooky place.

EDIT: Here is a picture of it, from a chap called Alan Hutchison on Flickr:

Flickr

"Located inside a meander of the River Forth at Throsk, 3 miles (5 km) east of Stirling, Bandeath Industrial Estate is a large general industrial and storage complex, meeting the requirements of medium to large manufacturing and distribution users. Refurbished in the early 1980s, it is run by Stirling Council, who purchased the facility from the Ministry of Defence in 1978. Previously a Royal Naval Armament Depot, there are still more than thirty large abandoned ammunition stores regularly-spaced in rows filling the northern part of the site and once linked by railway track."

And another one, on Photobucket:

Bandeath001.jpg

found that place whilst out on the bmx's maybe 25 years ago. im sure we were heading down the dump at polmaise and took a turn to end up there. It was like nowhere id ever seen before. rows of uniform buildings with roofs like air raid shelters. it was strange because the grass was kept short by the roaming sheep and it looked lke there should be people about to come round a corner at any time but there was no-one.

most of the buildings i remember being open and empty but one was closed and full of boxes but as always when you are somewhere you shouldnt be as a kid i starting needing a shite and had to go home.

About twenty years ago, me and a few friends, "obtained entry", to a semi abandoned building located by the sea in a large houses private estate. The end of this two storey building backed onto a cliff face. Within the building there were numerous pieces of electrical equipment, maps, supplies like paper and welly boots, all just left untouched as they would have been numerous years previous.

At the back of the building there was a large metal door which we swung open to met with nothing but darkness. Someone found a light switch and as we watched each light flickered on sequentially to reveal an tunnel disappearing into the distance. Being brave or more likely stupid we made our way down the tunnell only stopping when one of my companions thought it would be funny to switch the lights out! Standing in a pitch black under ground tunnell in the middle of nowhere was not a pleasant exerpiance to say the least! Anyway, we reached the end of the tunnell only to be met with another large door. Opening the door we entered to find a room with further strange electrical devices and notes written on whiteboards on walls.

On further investigation we found another passage and then stairs leading downwards. We went down the stairs and into another room found further downwards stairs and repeated until we could go no further, three levels down. We were obviously shitting ourselves at this stage but our current state was not helped by seeing further devices with "danger, radiation" or something similar at least.

Only went to this place the once but enjoyed the thrill and also the fact that what I was seeing was probably an insight into our history. Seems a shame that the building is not opened to the general public as it would be a great place to visit. I had a rough idea of what it was we had seen, but it's only now using the wonders of google that it would appear it was the building that houses one end of the transatlantic telecommunications cable running from Scotland to Newfoundland built in the 1950's and abandoned in the 70's.

Where is this place?

Archived