Urban Exploration

About twenty years ago, me and a few friends, "obtained entry", to a semi abandoned building located by the sea in a large houses private estate. The end of this two storey building backed onto a cliff face. Within the building there were numerous pieces of electrical equipment, maps, supplies like paper and welly boots, all just left untouched as they would have been numerous years previous.

At the back of the building there was a large metal door which we swung open to met with nothing but darkness. Someone found a light switch and as we watched each light flickered on sequentially to reveal an tunnel disappearing into the distance. Being brave or more likely stupid we made our way down the tunnell only stopping when one of my companions thought it would be funny to switch the lights out! Standing in a pitch black under ground tunnell in the middle of nowhere was not a pleasant exerpiance to say the least! Anyway, we reached the end of the tunnell only to be met with another large door. Opening the door we entered to find a room with further strange electrical devices and notes written on whiteboards on walls.

On further investigation we found another passage and then stairs leading downwards. We went down the stairs and into another room found further downwards stairs and repeated until we could go no further, three levels down. We were obviously shitting ourselves at this stage but our current state was not helped by seeing further devices with "danger, radiation" or something similar at least.

Only went to this place the once but enjoyed the thrill and also the fact that what I was seeing was probably an insight into our history. Seems a shame that the building is not opened to the general public as it would be a great place to visit. I had a rough idea of what it was we had seen, but it's only now using the wonders of google that it would appear it was the building that houses one end of the transatlantic telecommunications cable running from Scotland to Newfoundland built in the 1950's and abandoned in the 70's.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years back I went to an old hospital just outside Dundee, the very North end of Strathmartine Rd. It was a corporate event thing with a pair of psycho 'ex-forces' guys who decked us all out with BB guns etc.

Anyway, the place was abandoned and freaky as f**k with patient records lying all over the place. I'm sure I saw it on the news not long after for breach of data investigation.

I suspect it might have been flattened now but it was a spooky place.

I'm pretty sure they still do paintballing or airsofting there, I've seen photos of it and it does look very eery.

I was never convinced that the two guys running the show had obtained permission to be in there, it was a good day nonetheless.

One of the guys was a total heidcase, entering into close quarter then hand to hand combat, with his unwitting customers, once he'd spent all his ammo on a charge down the dimly lit corridors.

There is a forum for Urban Explorers ... I think it's called 28 Days later or something and it is really interesting.

I'm on my phone so can't double check.

Its worth a search on google if your into it.

There's nothing anyone can do, tresspassing isn't illegal in Scotland, or rather there's no such thing as tresspassing.

They could do you for reckless endangerment by entering an unsafe premises

Here's a good video about an old asylum in Dundee. Good wee twist at the end but I won't throw any spoilers out. It's a real Urban Exploration fwiw.

I love that sort of thing. Old buildings, especially engineering ones, fascinate me. As do the pillboxes still visible and intact on the beaches of Dunkerque.

I've always wanted to have a nosey round the part of the old Bellsdyke Hospital that sits next to TSC, as from the outside it looks like the Addams house. Sadly it's condemned :(

Pretty certain it's knocked down now, been in before though and made some pretty decent discoveries. All the old furniture is there, old rooms which clearly held some complete psychos, underground tunnels, storerooms etc. We found a filing cabinet filled with Documents on case files for patients, workbooks helping the patients to be eased back into society with things as basic as teaching them how to buy something from a shop.

Surprised no one has mentioned Bangour, it's and old War/Mental Hospital which is really an abandoned village with a large number of abandoned buildings over a very vast space. Has a Mortuary, Church, Bowling Green, a number of Wards and Hospitals and other Buildings such as accomodation. It has Phone Boxes, Bus Stops the lot.

Finding the Mortuary in the pitch black was absolutely shittning. All the old graves have been dug up and it's tucked right at the back of the complex, very scary. Theres videos on Youtube about the place and from people doing Urbex. Also a film with was made there, i think it was called The Jacket and stars Keira Knightley.

It's in West Lothian just next to Dechmont by the way..

Pretty certain it's knocked down now, been in before though and made some pretty decent discoveries. All the old furniture is there, old rooms which clearly held some complete psychos, underground tunnels, storerooms etc. We found a filing cabinet filled with Documents on case files for patients, workbooks helping the patients to be eased back into society with things as basic as teaching them how to buy something from a shop.

Surprised no one has mentioned Bangour, it's and old War/Mental Hospital which is really an abandoned village with a large number of abandoned buildings over a very vast space. Has a Mortuary, Church, Bowling Green, a number of Wards and Hospitals and other Buildings such as accomodation. It has Phone Boxes, Bus Stops the lot.

Finding the Mortuary in the pitch black was absolutely shittning. All the old graves have been dug up and it's tucked right at the back of the complex, very scary. Theres videos on Youtube about the place and from people doing Urbex. Also a film with was made there, i think it was called The Jacket and stars Keira Knightley.

Forget the exploration, I'm fairly sure Knightley gets her tits out in that film.

There's a quarry at the north end of Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh and in there there's an underground bunker. I only went in so far but it was quite obvious that I wasn't the only one who had discovered it owing to the number of empty lager cans around. I believe it was one of the secret command bunkers dotted around the country although I'm not sure how much is accessible.

When I was a teenager some of us explored an old tannery building near Linlithgow Loch. To our surprise and joy we found what seemed to be a cache of stolen goods. Lets say that if they weren't they soon were. Nothing special, just cans of juice, biscuits, cigarrettes and Tampax! :o

An old mate runs a firm that do film and tv security. I did a nightshift for him on that film (among others). I saw Keira's car pulling away as I arrived. I got an hour or two's kip in Kris Kristoffersons office. There was still one patient in the wing I was in.

Pretty certain it's knocked down now,

The "Adams Family" house sits right next to our office. The council removed quite a bit of it a few years ago. You can see right inside it now. It looked much better when it was all concealed but bits started to fall off and they took action. I'm pretty sure this was an admin building. There is another larger building behind it. Still looks quite impresive but I think someone's been at it recently nicking the lead. I think they're fantastic.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/2420566397_3ae083a509.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dw82/2420566397/&usg=__Hayp6hfGaCVBORgtwABDPhT0ZYk=&h=323&w=500&sz=185&hl=en&start=16&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3bv1BXPRBUZfKM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=130&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbellsdyke%2Bhospital%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1045%26bih%3D642%26tbm%3Disch&ei=RgzkTcbaOcKn8QPY0azeBg

The road going past it is the entrance to our car park.

http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/Images/gallery/2190b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2322/2420565645_91c0478498.jpg

There's a quarry at the north end of Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh and in there there's an underground bunker.

Been at the site several times, it is now owned by the same company that own Scotland's Secret Bunker. However due to asbestos polution as a result of arson several years ago it has been sealed up and there are no longer any plans to develop the bunker like the one in Fife. Rather unfortunate as it is apparently a more extensive bunker complex.

As for the question on tresspassing it should be noted that even walking on the route of lifted as opposed to unused railway lines could still leave you liable to prosecution where it is still owned by Network Rail, but there's never likely to be anybody there to instigate this action. Recently wandered the line from Renfrew to Paisley that was one of the options for the GARL. Then continued on the old line to Kilmacolm as I was on the last train to serve the village in 1983.

Also a station on the site but no evidence of it remains only the faint outline of the track's route that continues through Dechmont then round to Uphall Station. The buildings on the site are now well boarded up and entering without breaking in is impossible.

Really?? But surely if the building is fenced up and locked etc you can't just go wandering in? I would imagine most urban explorers use hidden and secret entrances etc? Hedgecutter may be able to confirm as resident explorer?

I was never sure of the laws but breaking into somewhere gave you that certain thrill. Like I said on one of the other threads, we used to use a hole in a fence to get into an old (now demolished) papermill next to the Don in Aberdeen for paintball. Was a big building with several floors and although the building looked stable enough, it had holes in the walls and floors meaning you could be a sniper in the closest you could be to the Ho Chi Minh scenes in Full Metal Jacket, especially in the surrounding land with piles of rubble and twisted metal wire throughout. Was creepy where there were still cups of tea on the staff room table like folk had just left on the spot but we stopped shooting the place to bits after we noticed the asbestos signs on the pipes.

Another break in favourite are some of the old limestone quarries in Fife but some of these are ropey as fcuk and I've got a good bit of caving experience with all the kit etc. One silver mine in Alva has a metal fence with a sign attached but this can be negotiated with difficulty. Again, not at all for the inexperienced. You'd be amazed how many unmapped mine workings there are about Scotland and the Scottish Cave Rescue probably spend most of their callouts checking the entrances to these things whenever someone goes missing locally.

We also used to go to a big old red brick building on the riverside at Stanley but seeing as I'd recently acquired a Black Widow slingshot at the time (now banned??), I doubt there'll be many windows left! (my shame as a child)

Oh, there is a book written by David Morrell (the guy who wrote the Novel Rambo was based on) called Creepers about Urban Explorers. It's fiction, and is a light read, but quite entertaining.

I would recommened it.

n141402.jpg

We also used to go to a big old red brick building on the riverside at Stanley but seeing as I'd recently acquired a Black Widow slingshot at the time (now banned??), I doubt there'll be many windows left! (my shame as a child)

Another building now converted to flats. The old mill.

Archived