Urban Exploration

Urban Exploration is basically, getting into old buildings, having a nose around and taking pictures if you so wish to do so. I thought I was the only one that liked stuff like that. I can imagine most people wouldn't really feel that comfortable rooting around derelict Mental Hospitals and Bomb Shelters, but I find it fascinating. I'd love to do one of these.

For example, here is the old look out towers from the war on top of Purdown in Bristol, very close to my school. I used to hang around here when skiving lessons in Secondary school, and we even went on a trip there when I was in Primary.

Of course, I wouldn't be posting it here if it only related to Bristol. There's plenty of places elsewhere in the UK too.

Is anyone else involved in this sort of thing? I never knew there was a name for this hobby, let alone groups dedicated to it!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'v actually decided thats exactly what we'r going to do today! I wont post where we'r going because i dont actually know the name of it, but basically its an old mansion that was used by the army during the war as some kind of outpost. Its boarded up now but me and my mates found a way in last summer. Its honestly as if they just downed tools and left it exactly as it was. One part especially freaks me out, there is an execution chamber, with a fully complete electric chair still inside. All the wiring has been removed but its still harrowing none the less.

Its also full of mannequins docked out in full army gear and some fancy wummins dresses. Providiing they havent closed off our way in, i'll take some pictures and post them on here when we get home!

If you like that sort of thing LM, you need to get yourself to the old building at Stratheden hospital outside of Cupar. It's very much the Victorian 'bin', dead creepy...

There's tunnels linking some of the buildings, and it was the only time I refused to go into a room in my life. Absolutely shat myself, and I tell you, there was something down there. It was where they used to chain people to the walls, and there was no way I was going down into it.

Scary stuff...

If you like that sort of thing LM, you need to get yourself to the old building at Stratheden hospital outside of Cupar. It's very much the Victorian 'bin', dead creepy...

There's tunnels linking some of the buildings, and it was the only time I refused to go into a room in my life. Absolutely shat myself, and I tell you, there was something down there. It was where they used to chain people to the walls, and there was no way I was going down into it.

Scary stuff...

I would love that!

I've decided that I want to make this my new hobby. Anyone want to come with me? :ph34r:

I love that sort of thing. Old buildings, especially engineering ones, fascinate me. As do the pillboxes still visible and intact on the beaches of Dunkerque.

I've always wanted to have a nosey round the part of the old Bellsdyke Hospital that sits next to TSC, as from the outside it looks like the Addams house. Sadly it's condemned :(

Me and my mates stumbled upon an abandoned arms storage field called Bandeath near Fallin next to Stirling. It's all very creepy now... there are about 30 buildings in total most of which are now covered in sheep shit and filled with broken furniture. One of the buildings is still in opertation as a Potato storage barn. We reckon it's a front for a criminal organisation or terrorist cell though... or so we liked to imagine.

I would love that!

Dead easy, stick a pencil in your nose, put pants on yer head and go wibble.

Once you are in, hit a nurse, and you'll be stuck in ward 4, the tunnels are not far from it.

Actually, no ward 4 is a male ward :lol:

Dead easy, stick a pencil in your nose, put pants on yer head and go wibble.

Once you are in, hit a nurse, and you'll be stuck in ward 4, the tunnels are not far from it.

Actually, no ward 4 is a male ward :lol:

I'm not particularly fussy...

Scary stuff...

I went to look for that one night with a girl I was seeing but we couldnt find it. It does seem like a terrifying place though, I'll need to go along at some stage.....

Me and my mates stumbled upon an abandoned arms storage field called Bandeath near Fallin next to Stirling. It's all very creepy now... there are about 30 buildings in total most of which are now covered in sheep shit and filled with broken furniture. One of the buildings is still in opertation as a Potato storage barn. We reckon it's a front for a criminal organisation or terrorist cell though... or so we liked to imagine.

That's the old admirality place near Throsk, it was used for weapons and munitions storage during WW2, my Pop (who is from Airth now, but Fallin originally) told me.

There are remnants of the old industrial railway line that used to go to Grangemouth and beyond still there.

A very spooky place.

EDIT: Here is a picture of it, from a chap called Alan Hutchison on Flickr:

Flickr

"Located inside a meander of the River Forth at Throsk, 3 miles (5 km) east of Stirling, Bandeath Industrial Estate is a large general industrial and storage complex, meeting the requirements of medium to large manufacturing and distribution users. Refurbished in the early 1980s, it is run by Stirling Council, who purchased the facility from the Ministry of Defence in 1978. Previously a Royal Naval Armament Depot, there are still more than thirty large abandoned ammunition stores regularly-spaced in rows filling the northern part of the site and once linked by railway track."

And another one, on Photobucket:

Bandeath001.jpg

Most of the old 'bins' are like that, old outdated Victorian buildings, with tunnels underneath. Well scary.

You really didn't want to be mad,or a single mother back in those days.

Yes, they used to stick single mum's in them as well. It would get rid of the teenage pregnancy rate overnight if it was re-intoduced.

That's the old admirality place near Throsk, it was used for weapons and munitions storage during WW2, my Pop (who is from Airth now, but Fallin originally) told me.

There are remnants of the old industrial railway line that used to go to Grangemouth and beyond still there.

A very spooky place.

EDIT: Here is a picture of it, from a chap called Alan Hutchison on Flickr:

Flickr

"Located inside a meander of the River Forth at Throsk, 3 miles (5 km) east of Stirling, Bandeath Industrial Estate is a large general industrial and storage complex, meeting the requirements of medium to large manufacturing and distribution users. Refurbished in the early 1980s, it is run by Stirling Council, who purchased the facility from the Ministry of Defence in 1978. Previously a Royal Naval Armament Depot, there are still more than thirty large abandoned ammunition stores regularly-spaced in rows filling the northern part of the site and once linked by railway track."

And another one, on Photobucket:

Bandeath001.jpg

Aye that all sounds spot on...

I reckon it would be a great place to have a Rave.

Aye that all sounds spot on...

I reckon it would be a great place to have a Rave.

I'd prefer a huge paintball field. Imagine ducking and diving in and out all those old buildings, it'd be cracking!

Archived