Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

I like Belhaven Best and i hate finding out that a boozer has John Smiths instead of it.

Once upon a time I would have said that but I'm not too sure anymore. I'm liking this Caledonia Best which suddenly appeared from nowhere more I must admit, but how it gets away with that branding I'll never know when folk will just ask "have you got any Best?". I saw a pub sell it the other month with a sign on the wall saying "Belhaven Best, £2 a pint" when it was the Caledonia they had.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Belhaven Best and i hate finding out that a boozer has John Smiths instead of it.

Once upon a time I would have said that but I'm not too sure anymore. I'm liking this Caledonia Best which suddenly appeared from nowhere more I must admit, but how it gets away with that branding I'll never know when folk will just ask "have you got any Best?". I saw a pub sell it the other month with a sign on the wall saying "Belhaven Best, £2 a pint" when it was the Caledonia they had.

Caledonia Best is really nice as well. Seems to be appearing in more boozers as well. I think I'm right in saying it Tennants that do it

My pub of choice in Troon sells Tartan Special. It's an excellent pint. It also sells a delicious pint of McEwans 60/-, which is my beer of choice, which is why it's my pub of choice. Can't get it anywhere else. :(

My pub of choice in Troon sells Tartan Special. It's an excellent pint. It also sells a delicious pint of McEwans 60/-, which is my beer of choice, which is why it's my pub of choice. Can't get it anywhere else. :(

Always wondered if there was a spike in sales of Spesh after so many folk reading DundeeBarry's glorious work and wanting to sup the fine brew enjoyed by the teckle one himself.

Was it the Lonsdale in Troon? Can vaguely mind having a black lager with some sort of satanic moniker in there whilst watching Scotland get pumped by Wales on the night of the beer festival.

The Irish boozer next to Queen St station does Caffreys. I had a pint of it not that long ago and it was pretty good. The best thing they ever did was reduce the alcohol content from 5.something to 4.5%.

Caffreys used to be fucking rocket fuel.

Waxy's. Hate that place, it's a maze.

The Caffreys was nice though.

Was it the Lonsdale in Troon? Can vaguely mind having a black lager with some sort of satanic moniker in there whilst watching Scotland get pumped by Wales on the night of the beer festival.

That's the one. The black lager was Caledonian Devil's Advocate. They got it in as a guest beer but it sold well enough that they've kept it for a while.

The 60/- in there is served exactly as it should be and the beer is looked after properly. Plus, it's a mere £2 a pint.

I was at The Garage last night and I'm about 99% sure in one of the bars they had a McEwan's Cold tap.

Weren't you drinking McEwans in Brel last time we were in there?

When we were down in Wales for the Scotland game in October we went through to Merthyr Tydfil to meet some old friends and on the way back to the station we stumbled into a dive called the Anchor Inn. McEwans Lager was on tap but most of the locals were drinking bottles of Holsten Pils, equally boggin. It was the Valleys though, certain areas are stuck in a time warp

The QP social club used to serve pish like Skol and Castlemaine XXX years ago. Thankfully now we have decent stuff like St Mungo's from the WEST brewery

If you're ever in Wales again treat yourself to a pint of Brains, the red one is best but the green is alright also. It's brewed in the centre of Cardiff, the brewery is literally beside Cardiff Central train station and it's a smashing drop.

The worst pint I've ever drank was a pint of Stella in Outback. Believe me, I didn't want to be there in the first place and that pint didn't improve my mood.

I was so angry I wanted to glass one of the p***ks playing in the sand pit.

The worst pint I've ever drank was a pint of Stella in Outback. Believe me, I didn't want to be there in the first place and that pint didn't improve my mood.

I was so angry I wanted to glass one of the p***ks playing in the sand pit.

The worst pint I've ever had was also Stella, in The Star Inn in Alloa. It was disgusting, and we were told to step away from the bar so the auld jakeys on the other side of us could watch the racing on the tv in the corner. Horrible beer, horrible pub.

I'm glad I don't like beer of any sort. There seems to be a massive amount of random chance involved in whether you get a decent pint or not.

You could argue that asking for the same meal in two different resteraunts, there would be a random chance of getting a good meal or not.

You could argue that asking for the same meal in two different resteraunts, there would be a random chance of getting a good meal or not.

But that would be down to the expertise of the cook and/or the quality of the ingredients.

The pubs don't brew the stuff on the premises.

But that would be down to the expertise of the cook and/or the quality of the ingredients.

The pubs don't brew the stuff on the premises.

They can choose how often to clean the pipes though. If I go to a random pub in Scotland I always go for the session lager, as Stella and the like has usually sat in the pipes for ages and is rank.

The restaurant is actually cooking the food so you would expect a variety in the standard of cooking from place to place. Hence the reason some will have Michelin stars and others will be McDonalds.

They can choose how often to clean the pipes though. If I go to a random pub in Scotland I always go for the session lager, as Stella and the like has usually sat in the pipes for ages and is rank.

The pub across from my work must clean the pipes constantly as ANYTHING from the real ale pump tastes the same... of pipe cleaner fluid. Utterly horrible. I stupidly try a half every six months in the hope it'll have changed but it never does. That's been 7 years now, although the lager's perfectly fine.

• 2 years later...

I always wonder why there aren't more McEwan's pubs in the Falkirk area. A good pint of 80 shilling is a real decent ale and other than The Canal Inn (War office) or The Wheatsheaf I can't think of any other pub that serves it. There certainly aren't any in Grangemouth that do. Yet I was in The Birkhill Inn (rural Dundee) a few months back and they had Export, 60 and 80 shilling all on tap. Marvelous!

That said I deffo think there is an image issues with some of these ales. The young team seem to think they're all old codger bevvies but they're infinitely better than some of the other de riguer lagers like Stella, Becks, 1664 etc.

Just proves that most bar patrons are swill-consuming fucktards tbh.

Tennents and McEwans used to be the most common lagers available in Scottish pubs. Indeed, "McEwans Lager" was emblazoned across the front of Rangers strips for a few seasons.

But I haven't seen or heard much about this beer for a while. I'm not a lager drinker so I wouldn't have been acutely aware of it's decline but I find it strange how a big-buget beer like this one could have been here today, gone tomorrow.

I don't know about McEwans, but what the f**k happened to centralparker?

Archived