Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

The faux Irish Bar on St Vincent St still sells Harp.

I am almost certain that the barman in that advert played John (as in John and Mary) in Father Ted!

Back on topic - I've never tried McEwan's, wouldn't be adverse to it though. I've always wondered if the guy on the logo is meant to be Captain Hook?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It got discontinued, and lord know's why - it was a fine brew, and seemed to sell really well.

Think this was the stuff I used to drink in The Aaragon in Byres Road - beautifull if it's the same stuff. Been trying to remember the name of it for years.

I am almost certain that the barman in that advert played John (as in John and Mary) in Father Ted!

Back on topic - I've never tried McEwan's, wouldn't be adverse to it though. I've always wondered if the guy on the logo is meant to be Captain Hook?

You're absolutely right! Can't believe I didn't notice. That advert was very popular in NI back in the day.

The guy in the McEwans' Lager logo is based on the painting The Laughing Cavalier (I think).

The-Laughing-Cavalier-by--008.jpg

Although Tennents Ice Cold doesn't have much taste in comparison to other lagers, I do find it rather refreshing and 'crisp' (if that makes any sense). Certainly a mood drink for me, just like most others.

On a different note, I'm sure I saw a Caffreys on tap somewhere quite recently. Always quite liked that stuff.

Although Tennents Ice Cold doesn't have much taste in comparison to other lagers, I do find it rather refreshing and 'crisp' (if that makes any sense). Certainly a mood drink for me, just like most others.

On a different note, I'm sure I saw a Caffreys on tap somewhere quite recently. Always quite liked that stuff.

The Irish boozer next to Queen St station does Caffreys. I had a pint of it not that long ago and it was pretty good. The best thing they ever did was reduce the alcohol content from 5.something to 4.5%.

Caffreys used to be fucking rocket fuel.

On a related note, can you still get Tartan Special? used to drink it loads when i was younger but haven't seen it in ages. Tried looking up wikipedia but they dont even have a pge for it.

I noticed they had Tartan Special on draught in The Trades (Dundee) when we assembled there for the Bus Crawl.....

McEwans Lager was utter pants. It was the only Lager available at one point in oor wee village. I tried as you do, but ended up drinking bottled beer until it changed hands and Tennent's was put in instead..

Tennent's isnae that bad IMO, but in saying that it needs to be fresh. If it's been sitting in the line for a while, or even worse overnight, it develops a bitter taste which is really unpleasant (especially after handing over 3 quid or more for the pleasure).......

Tartan Special and McEwans Export are both on draught at Morrisons CBC in Stirling and the Wheatsheaf in Falkirk.

On a related note, can you still get Tartan Special? used to drink it loads when i was younger but haven't seen it in ages. Tried looking up wikipedia but they dont even have a pge for it.

You get it in pub I go to but only 2 old guys drink it

After a bit of investigation (well google) it seems Tartan Special is in for a bit of a comeback. Similar to McEwans Lager (and other Scottish & Newcastle brands) after a few takeovers they seem to have got pushed to the back in preferance to other alternatives like John Smiths and Carling. Wells and Young have just restarted sell cans in Supermarkets

20 years ago a pub in Scotland you could get, depending on the pub you were in,

Tennets pub - Tennets lager, Tennents special

Scottish & Newcastle - McEwans Lager, Tartan Special, McEwans 70.

with the odd extra like Guiness etc thrown in.

I find it quite drepessing when you go into a pub these days and its full of John Smiths, Carling, etc for a country of reknown beer drinkers its a shame we hardly brew any anymore

Do Tennents still make Breaker Malt Liquor? It was stronger than most lagers - 6% if I mind right and it did the business but you suffered the next day

I remember seeing Breaker last year in Greenock but it was 5%.

I noticed they had Tartan Special on draught in The Trades (Dundee) when we assembled there for the Bus Crawl.....

They do, they also have harp lager and if memory serves me right McEwans Export.

A lot of people like to slag of Tennents sbut its a perfectly serviceable session lager. its Crap out of a tin, and as others have said, the standard is variable but a good pint of tennents is as good as peroni or san miguel that you can often find for a good quid more expensive.. Not on the same level as a budvar mind.

Im more of an IPA man though

When we were down in Wales for the Scotland game in October we went through to Merthyr Tydfil to meet some old friends and on the way back to the station we stumbled into a dive called the Anchor Inn. McEwans Lager was on tap but most of the locals were drinking bottles of Holsten Pils, equally boggin. It was the Valleys though, certain areas are stuck in a time warp

The QP social club used to serve pish like Skol and Castlemaine XXX years ago. Thankfully now we have decent stuff like St Mungo's from the WEST brewery

You get a decent pint of Tartan Special in the Royal in Perth. It's my standard pint in there unless the guest ale is something interesting.

Usually also have spesh in the Trades when through for a game. Gets viewed as an old man's pint but it's actually tasty stuff.

Archived