Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

The real sophisticates in this country drink Peroni, which some Italians I know described as an awful lager, and far worse than Tennents. Its as Hazzi said, beer snobs.

lol wut

No self-respecting beer snob drinks Peroni. You're comparing the Tennents of Italy to the, erm, Tennents of Scotland.

Czech lager is for the discerning drinker: Tennents and Peroni generally taste shite.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McEwans 80/- is sold in The Pot Still in Glasgow, as well as a couple of spit and sawdust pubs in Coatbridge. Tis a decent pint.

Far, far superior to the Caledonian 80/- imo. 'Thick' rather than it's watery rival.

The real sophisticates in this country drink Peroni, which some Italians I know described as an awful lager, and far worse than Tennents. Its as Hazzi said, beer snobs.

I'm as far from a sophisitcate as it's possible to get, and I love Peroni. Without question, my favourite tipple at the moment.

I don't really drink pints anymore, so not had a Tennents in about 2 years. What is noticeable about Tennents is how wildly variable the quality is. For example, in the Port Customs pub in Stirling, the Tennents there is fantastic, yet across the road in the Arches (when it was still open), it was horrible. The same drink.

No self-respecting beer snob drinks Peroni. You're comparing the Tennents of Italy to the, erm, Tennents of Scotland.

Totally agree. Peroni was the cheapest lager on almost every menu when I was in Italy last year. An absolute scam over here.

lol wut

Czech lager is for the discerning drinker: Tennents and Peroni generally taste shite.

You'll find people in this country praising the Tennents of Italy to the rooftops though. That was my point. It is plain snobbery. Tennents is generally a perfectly drinkable pint.

Totally agree. Peroni was the cheapest lager on almost every menu when I was in Italy last year. An absolute scam over here.

Similarly, there are more than a few US bars with excellent craft beers and imports, yet have been suckered into selling Stella Artois as a 'premium Belgian lager', with the resultant price hike. It's utterly embarrassing for them really.

The stuff sold as Peroni in the UK is actually called Nastro Azzurro in Italy. They're brewed by the same company but the beer called Peroni in Italy is different, Nastro Azzurro is nicer.

Agree with the varying quality of Tennents, I've went through stages of drinking it, mostly set off by getting a rank pint in a pub and being put off it and then a few months later getting a good pint and loving it again.

Enjoy Tyskie or bud but you cannot beat a ice cold bottle of Deuchars IPA ever.

I think peroni out of a bottle is better than tennents out of a can. Im not saying it is great though. I dont think it is snobbery people preferring it.

To my knowledge there are three types of peroni. Nastro azzuro, red and grand reserve. I think the red is the cheap one. Ive never been to italy though but maybe this is the confusion. Though i have seen the red on sale in quel vin in glasgow as a supposed premium beer.

Also czech lager "snobs" are not necessarily any better. It's not all its cracked up to be. It's good but it is not that good. Not budvar any way, though it does p. All over its american namesake. Staropramen is just grotty though

While this Thread has been ressurected, can I throw another one into the ring...

Gillespies, an early 90's "Scottish" introduction to the "Irish Stout" market!!!

It was more like Murphy's than Guinness, but it was very good!!!

Only ever saw it in Edinburgh Pubs, can you still get it anywhere, even in bottles or cans, or did it die a death???

UK-Gillespies_44w-00.JPG

It got discontinued, and lord know's why - it was a fine brew, and seemed to sell really well.

On a related note, can you still get Tartan Special? used to drink it loads when i was younger but haven't seen it in ages. Tried looking up wikipedia but they dont even have a pge for it.

In luck mate, its being brought back into circulation soon, a rep that covers my store mentioned it a few weeks ago, not sure who'll distribute it as she works for a few companies

Archived