Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

Caledonian Deuchers IPA is an excellent beer and - after winning many awards - is now established as a national cask brand. I've seen it all over Britain. Strangely, I've never been too keen on their 80/- but would always sup it in preference to any keg beer.

Not seen the cask version of McEwans 80 for a while. Has it fallen by the wayside? By and large, the big brewers have little more than a token interest in promoting cask products, which is a shame because there is a big nationwide market for real ale.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caledonian Deuchers IPA is an excellent beer and - after winning many awards - is now established as a national cask brand. I've seen it all over Britain.

It is, indeed, a good IPA, and even if it was just average it would be nice to have an IPA on draught anywhere, since you don't really see them a lot.

I remember being in the function suite of the Glencoe Hotel a few years ago after the 70 Wild Miles charity event. There was nothing on tap (you had to go to the main bar for that), but they'd were selling cans of Tennents and Stella at a low price instead. Near the end of the night, I went to bar and found they had no Tennents or Stella left, only McEwans Export because nobody was buying it. Being a lazy b*****d, rather than going to the main bar, I just bought a can of Red Death and it was the last time I've ever drunk it.

Guest weecountyman
The McEwan's Export is a quality ale, 7%-odd but goes down smoothly. You can get it in Tesco's for about £1.39 a bottle.

That's McEwan's Champion Ale, not McEwan's Export, which is 4.5%.

Gillespies was brewed by Scottish & Newcastle at the Fountain Brewery - now ceased.

Not sure where the name came from - some of the big brewery chains resurrect the title of one of the concerns that they bought out years earlier - but I've no link to either William Younger or William McEwan (the two Scottish parts of S & N) having taken over a brewer name Gillespie.

Tennent Caledonian have produced Sweetheart Stout ever since their predecessor Northern Breweries took over George Younger & Sons of Alloa in 1960. Look at a can next time you are in a supermarket and you'll see "Younger of Alloa" on the label.

There were three brewers by the name of Younger - William (Edinburgh), George (Alloa) and Robert (Edinburgh) - the last of these was a branch of the Alloa family who went his own way in the mid 19th century. William Younger and George Younger were totally separate concerns.

To further complicate matters, the Alloa Youngers were related my marriage to William McEwan (born and raised in Alloa) whose firm merged with William Younger in 1931 to form Scottish Brewers, the forerunners of Scottish and Newcastle - later S & N took over Robert Youngers in 1960.

Robert Younger was small concern compared to William Younger and George Younger - but their beer had a high reputation. They won THREE medals for different ales in international competition in the late 1950's - a feat unequalled by any other Scottish brewery.

Edinburgh and Alloa were the two centres of brewing in Scotland - all the major breweries in Alloa have gone (there is one small concern operating, the Williams Brothers) and only the venerable Caledonian (which still uses direct fired coppers) remains in Edinburgh.

Elsewhere, Tennents in Glasgow and Belhaven near Dunbar are the only two remaining big breweries in Scotland.

Sad.

christ like my induction all over again :lol:

Caledonian Deuchers IPA is an excellent beer and - after winning many awards - is now established as a national cask brand. I've seen it all over Britain. Strangely, I've never been too keen on their 80/- but would always sup it in preference to any keg beer.

Not seen the cask version of McEwans 80 for a while. Has it fallen by the wayside? By and large, the big brewers have little more than a token interest in promoting cask products, which is a shame because there is a big nationwide market for real ale.

McEwans 80/- is sold in The Pot Still in Glasgow, as well as a couple of spit and sawdust pubs in Coatbridge. Tis a decent pint.

I've been drinking Staropramen lately. It sends me fucking loopy.

I find it pretty hard hitting. I had 4 pints of it one night and my head was feeling a bit mixed up.

I hated McEwans Export because of the stupid man on the front of the can. No idea why. I just took a disliking to him for some reason.

mcewans%20export.JPG

• 4 years later...

I must admit, I do like a McEwans lager on draught whenever I stumble upon it in some random bar on some random away day. Something about the waterry lightness which makes it ideal for an afternoon pint.

I've been drinking Staropramen lately. It sends me fucking loopy.

If there's any beer which will make me rough the next day, it'll be Staropramen. Next down the list is Budvar (or "a bottle of Sod" as I frequently hear it called).

'

Was once in a restaurant up here where an American claimed to the Eastern European owner that the latter lager was American because of the Budweiser tag. The owner's reply: "Look at the label, X years of brewing excellence, you tell me where the f*** America was X years ago?!".

Tennent's is a fantastic beer. Only posturing c***s don't appreciate it. Much, much better than the absolute shite they drink as alternatives.

Beer snobs are some of the worst people in the world.

The thing that I did odd is that Tennent's Super is quite popular in Italy.

The real sophisticates in this country drink Peroni, which some Italians I know described as an awful lager, and far worse than Tennents. Its as Hazzi said, beer snobs.

Archived