Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

Tennents and McEwans used to be the most common lagers available in Scottish pubs. Indeed, "McEwans Lager" was emblazoned across the front of Rangers strips for a few seasons.

But I haven't seen or heard much about this beer for a while. I'm not a lager drinker so I wouldn't have been acutely aware of it's decline but I find it strange how a big-buget beer like this one could have been here today, gone tomorrow.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McEwan's is an awful lager. With the growth in popularity of foreign lagers, which are far superior to McEwan's or Tennents, it's only natural that they've declined in popularity. I think Tennents have tried to combat this a bit with the introduction of Tennents Cold, but that's quite gash as well.

A pint of Tennents cost my mate £2.39 in one of the dankiest pubs in Falkirk (gotta love it though :) ) the weekend before last. For roughly the same price, a foreign lager could have been gotten, and for only about 20p more he could have got a premium.

McEwan's is an awful lager. With the growth in popularity of foreign lagers, which are far superior to McEwan's or Tennents, it's only natural that they've declined in popularity. I think Tennents have tried to combat this a bit with the introduction of Tennents Cold, but that's quite gash as well.

I must 'fess up and admit that i'm a Tennents pint guy whilst i'm out on the town and that Cold stuff is good shit. I'm not a fan of people who only drink these poncey European beers/lagers that are quite frankly awful.

Do you still get Kestrel lager these days?

Aye, you get a good few foreign lagers that are rank, but some really good ones. I love 1664, not a new one per se, but far superior to Stella. Better than that watery American pish Miller or Bud anyway.

No idea if you still get Kestrel - was never a fan of it.

I must 'fess up and admit that i'm a Tennents pint guy whilst i'm out on the town and that Cold stuff is good shit. I'm not a fan of people who only drink these poncey European beers/lagers that are quite frankly awful.

Do you still get Kestrel lager these days?

Probably in dodgy wee off-licences, you hardly ever see it in supermarkets any more. Not that I drink it though, I don't drink lager or beer.

I thought they just called it Carling these days!

Funny how the breweries got us to pay a premium for these "continental" lagers, which they make in the same breweries as the UK lager that we fell out of love with. e.g. Carlesberg is from Leeds or Alloa. Fosters and Kronnenburg is from Tadcaster (near York). Stella is from Luton. American Budweiser (yeuch) is from west London. Coors is from Burton on Trent.

About the only "proper" continental lagers are Becks and Czech Budweiser, both of which are brewed by the proper breweries, as intended.

So, basically, the breweries have convinced us to pay a higher price for lagers from the same breweries as before, jus with a foreign badge on them. Quite a neat trick, but makes you realise how thick the average British drinker is.

It's the same with spirits, you see Smirnoff adverts with lots of Russian icons, but they make the stuff in Northampton FFS!

Aye, you get a good few foreign lagers that are rank, but some really good ones. I love 1664, not a new one per se, but far superior to Stella. Better than that watery American pish Miller or Bud anyway.

No idea if you still get Kestrel - was never a fan of it.

Aye the taste of Miller or Bud is akin to performing cunnilingus on a female tramp. Why both are so popular on these shores remains a total mystery to me.

I thought they just called it Carling these days!

Funny how the breweries got us to pay a premium for these "continental" lagers, which they make in the same breweries as the UK lager that we fell out of love with. e.g. Carlesberg is from Leeds or Alloa. Fosters and Kronnenburg is from Tadcaster (near York). Stella is from Luton. American Budweiser (yeuch) is from west London. Coors is from Burton on Trent.

About the only "proper" continental lagers are Becks and Czech Budweiser, both of which are brewed by the proper breweries, as intended.

So, basically, the breweries have convinced us to pay a higher price for lagers from the same breweries as before, jus with a foreign badge on them. Quite a neat trick, but makes you realise how thick the average British drinker is.

It's the same with spirits, you see Smirnoff adverts with lots of Russian icons, but they make the stuff in Northampton FFS!

Thank fuck I drink Strongbow :lol:

Aye the taste of Miller or Bud is akin to performing cunnilingus on a female tramp. Why both are so popular on these shores remains a total mystery to me.

Do you get femals tramps?

(actually, that deserves a thread of it's own...)

Thank fuck I drink Strongbow :lol:

At least it's not pretending to be something it's not. The Breweries are fantastic con artists, the way they get away with things. Like, selling a half pint of beer in a bottle (admittedly from the fridge) for more than the cost of a full pint in a glass :huh: How do we let them treat us like this? <_<

Do you get femals tramps?

(actually, that deserves a thread of it's own...)

At least it's not pretending to be something it's not. The Breweries are fantastic con artists, the way they get away with things. Like, selling a half pint of beer in a bottle (admittedly from the fridge) for more than the cost of a full pint in a glass :huh:How do we let them treat us like this? <_<

Because you're too pished to care? :P

I always thought McEwan's Lager was ok - it was 5p cheaper than Tennent's as well (a big deal when you are an under-age drinker.) I didn't like buying it though because of the Rangers connection - it's the same reason I now refuse to buy Carling, even although I think it's an alright lager.

At least there's only a few more weeks to go by before I can end my self-imposed boycott of Subway!!

A pint of Tennents cost my mate £2.39 in one of the dankiest pubs in Falkirk (gotta love it though :) ) the weekend before last. For roughly the same price, a foreign lager could have been gotten, and for only about 20p more he could have got a premium.

In fairness lagers like Miller and the like are brewed by Scottish & Newcastle and not imported, so I don't think S&N were too bothered about phasing McEwan's lager out. I think S&N still brew Kronenburg 1664 and Coors under licence.

I used to work p/t in an S&N pub in Dumfries, albeit nine years ago, so it may have changed. I believe ICT Chris worked for S&N up to a year or so back so he would more and likely be able to give an update on that and the demise of McEwans lager. All in all, S&N will still be getting their market share, despite not really making their own brand lager anymore.

In fairness lagers like Miller and the like are brewed by Scottish & Newcastle and not imported, so I don't think S&N were too bothered about phasing McEwan's lager out. I think S&N still brew Kronenburg 1664 and Coors under licence.

I used to work p/t in an S&N pub in Dumfries, albeit nine years ago, so it may have changed. I believe ICT Chris worked for S&N up to a year or so back so he would more and likely be able to give an update on that and the demise of McEwans lager. All in all, S&N will still be getting their market share, despite not really making their own brand lager anymore.

i think the calendonian brewery in Edinburgh that does mcewans is due to close, i work at the gyle so i think its pretty safe to say its awayski but prob see alot more Russian beers coming into the market soon i would suspect

Aye I did. S&N don't (or didn't) do Coors, off the top of my head they produce:

Fosters

Kronenberg

Baltika

Newcasdytle Brown

Strongbow

John Smiths

Kingfisher

Bulmers

They will still make McEwans but there is far less money in that now given the cheap 'imported' beers and, especially, ciders. Cider is a growing market and you pay less tax on cider so get more profits. Of course, S&N just got bought over by a Carlsberg/Heineken consortium, mainly to get access to the venture market products like Baltiak or Kingfisher.

Archived