Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that was shown around the same time as the 1986 world cup. It unlocks bad memories of the Uruguay game...

I reckon maybe 1988/89. I'm sure the song says something like "you've got the power to generate fear" and I think it was an Edinburgh band that sung it. Can't remember name though.

Absolute shite lager mind you.

If someone tells me their favourite pint is tennents they're worth watching imo.

Its rank.I get that some beers and ales are acquired tastes but it just tastes like cheap rubbish to me.

No idea why it's so popular?

^^^^^^^likes blokes with pints.

Can mind my old man saying that the original Caffreys was the bollocks when he was working in Belfast. Haven't had it myself in years though Brennans in Perth used to do a decent pint of it.

Caffreys was excellent, used to drink it around the time oasis appeared on the scene and we called it madforreys.

It was funny at the time I'm sure.

Is it still on the go?

I buy Kestrel lager every Friday from my local Nica sore in Luton.

Is it still within best before date? I recall many, many years ago, think it was a Hogmanay, when a mate's Dad offered us under-agers a couple of cans of Kestrel and we flatly turned him down.

If someone tells me their favourite pint is tennents they're worth watching imo.

Its rank.I get that some beers and ales are acquired tastes but it just tastes like cheap rubbish to me.

No idea why it's so popular?

It's perfectly acceptable as far as cheap light beer goes. Certainly no worse than comparable cheap Euro lagers like Peroni, Kronenbourg, etc.

Guest The Phoenix

For some reason I always thought the Caledonia advert was for McEwans 80.

For some reason I'm intrigued to know what that reason was.

Never mind McEwan's Lager, what the hell has happened to McEwan's Export? Nothing much else than it when I first stepped into pubs for your non-lager drinker and when I do try it in a pub out of nostalgia, the stuff is absolutely honkin'.

Edited to add; couldn't be arsed looking through the whole thread and someone has made the same point. It's Ok in cans.

Never mind McEwan's Lager, what the hell has happened to McEwan's Export? Nothing much else than it when I first stepped into pubs for your non-lager drinker and when I do try it in a pub out of nostalgia, the stuff is absolutely honkin'.

Edited to add; couldn't be arsed looking through the whole thread and someone has made the same point. It's Ok in cans.

Agreed it used to be my favourite but like any beer on tap if its not poured regularly its pretty minging. If I see it on a rare occasion in a pub now I will have a quick look round to see if anyones drinking it before ordering it.

As for the cans youngs started brewing it for them a few years ago, regular tinny drinkers of it weren't happy but I still like the taste.

Archived