Garden Options

HGG

Being in flat I haven't got a garden anymore. But Barshaw Park's 100 yards up the road so I get see lots of grass and pretty flowers without having to make any effort. ;)

See clipping privet hedges every fortnight - that's something I'll not miss! :rolleyes::D

I've just ordered a potato planter (sort of the same idea as the black bag) and some potato seeds (carlingford, xmas "new poatoes") for planting in August.

Aye, same idea as the black bag, only more expensive and nicer looking! :P Where did you order them from?

I can't remember what type i used to plant to be honest.Seeing as its only the first time i've tried it i'm just assuming it won't go too well.From what i've read your first attempt usually ends up in pretty small sized potatoes but as the soil becomes used to having potatoes growing in it the quality improves.

Although obviously you can't grow too much in the same soil as all the nutrients will be used up.

You're not supposed to grow them in the same soil for more than two consecutive years. Apparently it increases the risk of the potatoes becoming diseased, probably due to the nutrient issue as you say but don't quote me on that bit. Hence the point of crop rotation. :)

You also need to be careful what you plant in the soil when you rotate. Certain types of plants shouldn't use soil that has nurtured other similar plants in the last couple of years. There's info online about it, as ever.

Being in flat I haven't got a garden anymore. But Barshaw Park's 100 yards up the road so I get see lots of grass and pretty flowers without having to make any effort. ;)

See clipping privet hedges every fortnight - that's something I'll not miss! :rolleyes::D

Get yourself an allotment (shared with others if it's too big) and get planting! No privet hedges required (I don't see the point in something so high maintenance as that anyway!). What are you waiting for, man? The rest of us are working hard for our food while you just sit there waiting the supermarkets to do all the hard work for you. Honestly, you're as bad as certain other posters we could mention who've been rather scathing on this thread. <_<:P

Edited by HGG

if the ruber tiles are to dear go to the local swimming pool and nick those big coloured floats.or you could ask them where they can be obtained :rolleyes: cheaper and waterproof

Aye, same idea as the black bag, only more expensive and nicer looking! :P Where did you order them from?

suttons.co.uk

I am considering getting a cherry or gooseberry bush in the winter for fruit next year too.

I am getting called Percy Thrower from my family already! :lol:

Aren't Gooseberry bushes right jaggy f*ckers?

The wild ones are from what i remember when i used to go up the stepping stones picking them with my Dad so he could make wine.

You can get "spineless" ones now, but the jaggy ones might keep the dogs(and birds) off it! :lol:

Get yourself an allotment (shared with others if it's too big) and get planting! No privet hedges required (I don't see the point in something so high maintenance as that anyway!). What are you waiting for, man? The rest of us are working hard for our food while you just sit there waiting the supermarkets to do all the hard work for you. Honestly, you're as bad as certain other posters we could mention who've been rather scathing on this thread. <_<:P

OUCH! :o Well and truly spanked! :( I haven't been scathing on this thread and as I only live 200 yards from and Iceland, two pubs and a Somerfield (soon to be Tesco-ed) I've fallen into the bachelor trap of convenience shopping. :( Lazy, I know, but hey, I'm a bloke! :rolleyes:

I'll make enquiries about allotments because, believe it or not, I really did enjoy gardening - inherited privet hedges aside! :rolleyes::D;)

Thought birds had been eating my strawberries and put a net right round instead of just over them but they were still being eaten. Thought it must be mice and sibce yesterday ive caught 1 fat one and 5 baby ones. :o:o I reckon theres still a mummy or daddy out there. Ive lost about twenty strawberries to these wee shites :angry:

My peas have flowers on them and my tattie plants are like palm trees :o Miracle compost right enough i think i'll rub it on my heid and see if my hair grows back :lol::lol:

Herb garden is coming on a treat as well. I must be getting auld :huh:

I'll make enquiries about allotments because, believe it or not, I really did enjoy gardening - inherited privet hedges aside! :rolleyes::D;)

You found out about them yet? That was a week ago you said that and you've not updated us! :P

I believe there's often quite a wait for allotments as everyone wants them. Someone I know shares one with a few people as the whole allotment is too big for any one of them. Could be worth looking into.

Ive lost about twenty strawberries to these wee shites :angry:

My peas have flowers on them and my tattie plants are like palm trees :o Miracle compost right enough

:death to the mice, I say! :angry: indeed. Haven't checked mine for a few days as it's been pouring with rain. That bodes well though - lots of water to fatten them up. Some sunshine to ripen them wouldn't go amiss now though. :(

I really need to repot a lot of my stuff to give it more space. I think I've lost some of my tomato plants since putting them outside which is a big shame because they were all doing so well. I really have to get my act together and I reckon if the rain continues over the weekend I'm going to have to brave the elements and get out there to sort it all out anyway.

My own potatoes are growing too. I'm considering moving them into sacks to free up some space for the other stuff that needs it.

my tattie plants are like palm trees

I think mine will be ready to howk soon. The flowers are about to die... I have a few plump looking tomatoes that are ripening and my chilli plant is flowering. My pepper plant is starting to fruit too, can't wait to try them! :D Carrots going well and my onions are looking fantastic too!

I think mine will be ready to howk soon. The flowers are about to die... I have a few plump looking tomatoes that are ripening and my chilli plant is flowering. My pepper plant is starting to fruit too, can't wait to try them! :D Carrots going well and my onions are looking fantastic too!

Ach, you're all just showing off. :(

Got some Spinach seeds from Lidl yesterday as i have loads of spare plant pots so i decided i might as well fill them with something.

Lucky you. I keep having to buy more because I don't have enough! There's nowhere for all my plants to grow. I was going to put a raised bed in one part of my garden but have decided against it as it's more flexible with things where they are just now. So pots it is then. :(

Chilli plant flowering, and cherry tomatoes just to turn red, loads of them! Yum :D

Onions and leeks look well, birds are eating the beetroot leaves though :(

Turnip seedlings reday to plant in the next couple of weeks. Herbs growing great this rain is good for some things! :rolleyes:

My strawberries are ripening! :bounce4

I've been out in the garden most of the morning. Fence is going up out there now so Scott will be contained again by the end of the week :D. I've taken a risk on repotting my sprouts as they were just so overcrowded they were never going to make it where they were.

I came into the kitchen to get us scones a 11am and when I got back outside Elidsehad planted herself in a trug, covered herself in a mixture of topsoil, compost and farmyard manure :lol:. Scott appears to have been eating mud by the look of him. An enjoyable morning and the garden's got lots of green - not least from my potato plants which appear to be growing several inches taller every day! :thumsup2

I think we really should have people posting pics of their garden so we can see them :)

Already thought of. It's all in hand. :D

I took "before" shots. Fence is all but done now and I'm going to get "after" shots too. B)

Watch this space!...

Already thought of. It's all in hand. :D

I took "before" shots. Fence is all but done now and I'm going to get "after" shots too. B)

Watch this space!...

Good stuff :)

Im hopefully going to be moving very soon, so Ill get some work done and post a few pics.

Not just veg growing but the rest of the (small ) garden too :)

Im looking forward to actually having a garden again :)

Guest Arabian Knightzzzzzzzz
Good stuff :)

Im hopefully going to be moving very soon, so Ill get some work done and post a few pics.

Not just veg growing but the rest of the (small ) garden too :)

Im looking forward to actually having a garden again :)

Good luck m8.