HGG

Garden Options

You'd need around 20-22 20kg bags by my reckoning if going down that route. Should then be able to compare prices. If you're close enough to the builders merchant you can do a few runs and save on delivery fee.

2.4x1.8x0.05=0.216m3
0.216m3 x 2000kg/m3 = 432kg

Anyone any idea of how much ~40ft of say 4ft high fencing would cost to buy. Not fitting it in, just the raw materials.

Everyone I ask gives me wildly different prices.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone any idea of how much ~40ft of say 4ft high fencing would cost to buy. Not fitting it in, just the raw materials.

I just did ~20 feet of 4ft high fence using green pressure treated boards, rough cost for all the wood and fixings and postcrete etc I needed was £500 from Jewsons, so I guess £1000? i was doing it on top of a brick wall so was attaching these boards to tall posts you wouldn't need so maybe take it down to £8-900 or thereabouts.

Edited by Pato

13 hours ago, Pato said:

That's not very encouraging :(

I have a couple of rowans that are still quite small so I could maybe put one of those in its place if it doesn't raise its game in the next couple of years.

Dont get me wrong, it attracted the birds to the point the cat used to sleep on top of it. But it never really grew. Never produced any blossoms. All round a bit disappointing.

13 hours ago, RH33 said:

Rowan's are said to keep evil spirits away.

We've a Rowan growing in the bit next to our house which squirrels use to get on to our roof.  I can only presume squirrels are not the work of the devil. 

On 12/04/2021 at 21:56, RandomGuy. said:

Try locating the closest saw mill and you'll find you save hundreds if they deal with the public, which most do.

I use James Carr sawmill a bit, out in Inchture if you are based in the Dundee / Perthshire area. Really good prices. 

Orchard timber are also really good, based up in Forfar. Use them a fair bit too.

Perthshire timber are decent as well, they're up at Dunkeld. I used them for my sleepers.

On that subject, long term followers of the thread will know I totally remodelled my garden 2 years ago. I'm not considering starting it again in anticipation of putting an extension on the house in a couple of years. Why do I do it to myself? 😂

Got rid of our old metal shed and the decking that it sat on had started to rot underneath. Got some decking from work and done a 8ft x 8ft deck.

Wife's gone a bit radio rental with the rattan this year. Amazing how warm a sheltered spot can be at 10 degrees in Scotland though.20210425_110657.jpeg20210425_110731.jpeg20210425_110800.jpeg20210410_093418.jpeg

Very nice. That's the type of garden furniture that my wife fancies - mind me asking where you got it? I think Aldi had something similar but it sold out in no time.

Very nice. That's the type of garden furniture that my wife fancies - mind me asking where you got it? I think Aldi had something similar but it sold out in no time.
The chaise longue stuff was Aldi but bought from a profiteer on gumtree. No big deal as pretty good. The other stuff I also collected brand new from lets say less than retail sources.
The irony is we needed the huge Rattan storage chest you can see to store all the cushions.
That came from a German supplier on ebay. I also have 2 of these loungers in pictures below, which are magnificent and sway. Also a huge ice box all ebay.
The cube table and chairs I have had for years and was probably groupon in the day when rattan was less common. 20210425_124704.thumb.jpeg.4469554d5abad97b9c4eda28be4aae52.jpeg20210425_124727.thumb.jpeg.f361b79db2c0e07131b0bcf928863e85.jpeg

Thanks. We'll keep an eye on EBay.

We had the table with the chairs below on the deck outside our caravan on holiday one year and were impressed with it so she's fancied getting it ever since.

Wanting to dig out a wee bit of the grass in our front garden and replace with pebbles/chips. 

Would I be right in thinking that all I would need to do is dig out the grass, flatten/rake the soil, add a wee border, lay down a membrane and fire the chips on top of that?

Would only be a small section of the grass at the front of the house, but our gas meter and a wee manhole are there at the moment and it looks a bit shite with grass round it.

1 hour ago, deej said:

Wanting to dig out a wee bit of the grass in our front garden and replace with pebbles/chips. 

Would I be right in thinking that all I would need to do is dig out the grass, flatten/rake the soil, add a wee border, lay down a membrane and fire the chips on top of that?

Would only be a small section of the grass at the front of the house, but our gas meter and a wee manhole are there at the moment and it looks a bit shite with grass round it.

That's what I would, and have done before.

As long as there's a bit of teram (sp?) Down once it's been dug, and the stones on top, you shouldn't have a problem with weeds.

30 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's what I would, and have done before.

As long as there's a bit of teram (sp?) Down once it's been dug, and the stones on top, you shouldn't have a problem with weeds.

Nice one, cheers. I'm utterly clueless at gardening, but wanting to at least pretend I've got an idea before I start even small jobs

Got a shed coming next week - just a standard 8ft x 6ft number. I never bothered including installation as the company I got the shed from were asking a fortune.

Anyone got any ideas how doable it would be to build myself or am I as well finding someone who knows what they're doing?

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Got a shed coming next week - just a standard 8ft x 6ft number. I never bothered including installation as the company I got the shed from were asking a fortune.

Anyone got any ideas how doable it would be to build myself or am I as well finding someone who knows what they're doing?

Should be dead easy, have you got a base down?

Should be dead easy, have you got a base down?
Yep base is down - that was last weekends task - so just a case of getting the shed built.

I've had a quick look online and it seems fairly simple but I have previous for making an arse of simple DIY jobs.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Yep base is down - that was last weekends task - so just a case of getting the shed built.

I've had a quick look online and it seems fairly simple but I have previous for making an arse of simple DIY jobs.

The only faff will be if you're doing it alone, keeping things upright and level while you do the assembly. Assume you've got a spirit level, drill, some clamps?

I managed to build by 8x6 panel shed by myself so not impossible. Once you get the first two panels joined together its a piece of piss.

Lifting the roof panels on was a bit of a challenge but its still standing.