Garden Options

HGG

8 hours ago, PWL said:

I scarified my lawn right back in late March. Last couple of years have been perfect for moss and, with a heavy clay soil, there barely any actual grass left. 

IMG_20210321_130743.thumb.jpg.708cb453368e75054980018ec5914509.jpg

IMG_20210321_130758.thumb.jpg.179a000cde660ea0947294fc16fd9e06.jpg

I then aerated it by coring, re-seeded and top dressed it. Unfortunately, this coincided with the cold but dry April. It's still pretty cold today at end of May and the seed hasn't germinated well at all. Currently it's a patchy mess and Ive had to repeat everything in the hope it improves. 

TL:DR use turf. 

This is what life becomes when fans can't go to football!

Tbf I’d absolutely take that over what I had before. It was a disgrace.
I had 4 big bald patches that I reseeded early April. Seed wasn't the cheap stuff and was supposed to be a variety that germinated at lower temps but after 6 weeks nada. Raked it all out and packed it up to level with compost then tried again and it's germinated a bit better this time but still not great. Hopefully the rise in temps forecast this weekend brings it on.

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2021 at 08:20, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Morning. 

I'm putting in quite a big shed. The ground it's going on is full of clay underneath so I was just going to whack the ground level and use a dry sand and cement mix (also whacked when screeded) to lay the slabs on. 

Anyone done anything similar or would offer contrary advice? 

Did exactly this and here's the result... 

It's being erected from the week beginning the 12th after trouble getting weather board. 

_20210706_000747.JPG

On 25/05/2021 at 11:23, PWL said:

Current state of play!  😩

IMG_20210525_111237.thumb.jpg.0bdd9d4200446c98c00d475ea986914f.jpg

As way of an update, took this pic this morning.  Was far longer to recover than I'd hoped due to the mixture of drought and flood we seem to have  but am pleased. Currently moss free...for now. 

IMG_20210706_105433.thumb.jpg.34722e7a66f3d0332201ae562be9b150.jpg

58 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Quite pleased with my new outdoor shelves, just some recently distressed scaffolding board and a couple of brackets. IMG_20210707_134210.jpegIMG_20210707_134226.jpegIMG_20210528_093720.jpeg

Are you in some kind of prison that lets you cheer up the yard provided you don't go near the perimeter fence? ;)

"SUNGOLD" cherry tomatoes this year. Last year I had beefsteak tomatoes and some kind of Italian cooking tomatoes but these are the ones I really wanted.

Plants are nearly 6 foot tall with loads of trusses. 

I know there was chat last year about cutting the tops to stop the plant wasting energy on trusses that won't get to fruit. Is there a set time for this or what should I look for? 

Also can I keep seeds for next year from this year's fruit? 

received_590195402348792.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

At the very bottom of the garden, me and the teenage daughter decided to set a wee space aside, make sure soil was right, planted a plum tree and an apple tree and I've got some plum slate stones there to put on top of soil, keep the weeds down. She wanted the space for a wee memorial for the wee staffy Keira we had for 12 years. Great idea and hopefully (literally) bears fruit in a few years

PXL_20210720_160248223.jpg

Any idea what I can do to keep moss out of the flower beds, it’s apparently a type of moss, looks more like a small firtree leaf when it starts and then just ends up all wild and takes over the place. I’m out every week having to try and clear it but it just keeps coming back.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Any idea what I can do to keep moss out of the flower beds, it’s apparently a type of moss, looks more like a small firtree leaf when it starts and then just ends up all wild and takes over the place. I’m out every week having to try and clear it but it just keeps coming back.

Mare tail?

https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/mare-s-horse-tail

29 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

That looks like the very stuff.

And it looks like an absolute b*****d to get rid of by the looks of that.

Aye, we get the odd bit out the back but I’m on it right away.  Don’t think it’s easy to completely eradicate though.

45 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Aye, we get the odd bit out the back but I’m on it right away.  Don’t think it’s easy to completely eradicate though.

I think the roots go quite deep on that stuff. 

As an aside Mr concrete, any idea how this happened? The whole square of path just lifted up. 

20210719_155137.jpg

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

That looks like the very stuff.

And it looks like an absolute b*****d to get rid of by the looks of that.

It’s an absolute b*****d to get rid of. Ours has come in from the neighbours garden and has creeped across our front garden now. I’ve tried pesticide but I don’t use it anymore. I’ve burned it as it comes through but it’s still very persistent. I just keep snapping it through the season now.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think the roots go quite deep on that stuff. 

As an aside Mr concrete, any idea how this happened? The whole square of path just lifted up. 

20210719_155137.jpg

Possible swelling of a clayey type soil underneath. Just goes to show how shite soil is and how fantastic concrete is. Not a crack on it.

Either that or Savile’s on his way back.