Jump to content

Garden Options


HGG

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just noticed that for yet another year, much of my 'lawn' closest to the house is yet again nothing but moss. 

It's a north facing garden partially in the shadow of the house so it's not a massive surprise, but the annual deep scarification (leaving a bare garden to be reseeded) is my least favourite job of the year, and one that's beyond tedious.  Any suggestions how to keep the moss away in the future (preferably one that doesn't involve knocking the house down)?

I believe this is my issue also. Use to have slabs however lifted it for more grass, put drainage underneath also. Yup everything seems fine bar moss. It's shite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moss grows easier than grass in shaded areas.

It's an awful lot of work to replace one load of green stuff with a different type of green stuff. Scarification, moss killer , improving the drainage, reseeding etc, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

f**k all wrong with moss.
 

The birds love it.

Get slabs/Astro tae f**k.

Aye, you don't really need to cut moss either, just the tufts of grassy stuff that survives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

It's an awful lot of work to replace one load of green stuff with a different type of green stuff. Scarification, moss killer , improving the drainage, reseeding etc, etc.

It's a bloody work out, that's what it is.  I remember sweat dripping off of me doing last time (and I might have pulled a neck muscle in the process if I remember correctly).   Once the job's done and the grass has grown back in, it's fine.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and rip the moss out whilst the temperature's low.

I used moss killer before and I don't think it took any of the effort out of it tbh.  Just turned it black and unsightly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's a bloody work out, that's what it is.  I remember sweat dripping off of me doing last time (and I might have pulled a neck muscle in the process if I remember correctly).   Once the job's done and the grass has grown back in, it's fine.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and rip the moss out whilst the temperature's low.

I used moss killer before and I don't think it took any of the effort out of it tbh.  Just turned it black and unsightly.

 

^^^Racism, reported!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to batter a load of heather into my raised beds this summer. Low maintenance, looks braw and the bees love it. Definitely the way I plan to go, with bits of space left for other stuff but generally, ram it full of heather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just noticed that for yet another year, much of my 'lawn' closest to the house is yet again nothing but moss. 

It's a north facing garden partially in the shadow of the house so it's not a massive surprise, but the annual deep scarification (leaving a bare garden to be reseeded) is my least favourite job of the year, and one that's beyond tedious.  Any suggestions how to keep the moss away in the future (preferably one that doesn't involve knocking the house down)?

Have you tried grass seed for areas with low light?

Also, keep your grass fed too. Start early with some lawn sand that turns the moss black then scarifying when its gone black. This also feeds the grass a wee bit. 

Don't cut your grass too short as it can stress the grass out and it will struggle to re establish.

I'd just regularly use a feed, weed and moss killer and rake/clear the moss out little and often section by section. It should eventually get better. 

Or

Try re turfing.

If not, slabs and some green paint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to be back out working in the gardens at weekends again!

That weekend there, I fitted all the wood that would "map out" my wee planting bit at the bottom level of my back garden.

The big square at the bottom left will be the base for my greenhouse (type 1, whacker, sand and 9 2x2 slabs), the rectangle joined onto that will be a raised bed, another bed just across from it and the path will be all Bark, I only had 2 bags of bark so fired that down to see roughly what it would look like. 

The remaining wee square up the back that the greenhouse shelves are sitting in, my wee lassie had a cracking idea.... 2 wee fruit trees in there, layer of thin weed control fabric, nice stones over the top of it and a wee concrete staffy statue as a wee memorial to her dog she had for 11 years! Great idea!

Ran out of paint aswell but replenished last night so will be finishing fence this weekend!

PXL_20210322_174652836.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took the plunge and scarified my lawn at weekend. This last winter seems to have been perfect for moss and there was barely any grass left. 

Managed to fill an entire wheely bin with moss and it now looks a bit of a state but I've fed it too and it should allow far better growth this summer......i hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pato said:

What's a good way to speed up a tree's growth?

I've got a willow tree which I've cleared away any weeds under the drip line and I'd like it to grow a fair bit in order to block off a thin patch in my neighbour's fence. Can I just fire fertiliser into the soil every so often to make sure it's always well fed?

Just go to sleep for 10 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pato said:

What's a good way to speed up a tree's growth?

I've got a willow tree which I've cleared away any weeds under the drip line and I'd like it to grow a fair bit in order to block off a thin patch in my neighbour's fence. Can I just fire fertiliser into the soil every so often to make sure it's always well fed?

Get some manure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar to Mixu there, I have been wondering about getting some nutrients into my beds. They are just boxed in topsoil on top of what used to be grass/weeds and general shite, so I assume not the most fertile. Was thinking about just getting chicken manure pellets and raking then in when I go to plant stuff this spring. And maybe a few bags of compost sort of raked in too. I am hopijng this tactic can save a fairly dead looking lavender tree 😔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I doubt you can go too much over the top on manure and it will bring some life back to the plants for sure.

im going to dobbies tomorow for some compost and manure, going to get a couple of raised beds for my front patch and maybe a rhododendron for my back garden.

I also have a dahlia in my back garden which has been reduced just to it’s bulb , some people say it’s fine and will have survived the winter and other people say it’s probably dead and to get a new one. I’ll find out within the next 6 weeks anyway but needless to say it will be incredibly exciting if it shoots up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to get a base made for my new greenhouse, yesterday. I'm no groundwork but it's pretty level and suits for exactly what I need! Opened the greenhouse boxes, built the door and window that opens and decided it was best to have a full day at it with another adult, so father in law is coming to give me a hand to build today.

I think once that's up and secured, and I've brought the ton of topsoil from my front garden, round the back and dumped it into the beds, apart from the back path which I still need bark for, we'll be looking good!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greenhouse built yesterday. Actually didn't take too long, parts all numbered well and instructions clear so managed to get that fixed down to the base I made. Still plenty to do but it will let me start some seeds this month.

A lot of the other work is shovelling and barrowing, soil for my beds and bark for my path!

PXL_20210410_164539674.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Greenhouse built yesterday. Actually didn't take too long, parts all numbered well and instructions clear so managed to get that fixed down to the base I made. Still plenty to do but it will let me start some seeds this month.

A lot of the other work is shovelling and barrowing, soil for my beds and bark for my path!

PXL_20210410_164539674.jpg

That flag above the greenhouse is the neighbours btw,  the clown was out trimming that tree to the right of it so he could bring his flag to half mast for ole Phillipe 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/04/2021 at 06:28, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That flag above the greenhouse is the neighbours btw,  the clown was out trimming that tree to the right of it so he could bring his flag to half mast for ole Phillipe 🙄

It's also upside down best check he's okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...