Garden Options

HGG

1 hour ago, throbber said:

It was mostly structural concrete analysis and concrete design with steel reinforcement we did, there was very little of studying paint on garden slabs. Also I spent most my time at uni on here.

Fair enough. At least you’re honest.  

2 hours ago, throbber said:

It was mostly structural concrete analysis and concrete design with steel reinforcement we did, there was very little of studying paint on garden slabs. Also I spent most my time at uni on here.

Power wash then get yourself a mortar colouring powder, mix up a few batches and skim the ugly fuckers with concrete!

Either that or clean them up, paint them and get some concrete slab sealant from B&Q or wherever and slap that on them. Never tried that myself but if it dosent work it's still cheaper than a few hundred quid.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Power wash then get yourself a mortar colouring powder, mix up a few batches and skim the ugly fuckers with concrete!

Either that or clean them up, paint them and get some concrete slab sealant from B&Q or wherever and slap that on them. Never tried that myself but if it dosent work it's still cheaper than a few hundred quid.

Just a thought.

There’s an industrial glue called SBR which I’m pretty sure you could water down a bit and add a bit of cement to and paint it on the slabs first and it would form a skin and then you could apply the paint to that and I doubt it would chip off. 

There’s an industrial glue called SBR which I’m pretty sure you could water down a bit and add a bit of cement to and paint it on the slabs first and it would form a skin and then you could apply the paint to that and I doubt it would chip off. 
Just pay for the fucking slabs ffs.

• 2 weeks later...
Sakes man.

My bird cherry has come under attack from a caterpillar. Underneath the second peg from the top (where the little b*****d was hiding) the stem has almost been completely chewed through. As you can see, everything above this peg is now dying - which is annoying because there was lots of new growth coming through and the plant has been gaining plenty height since I potted it. I’m not sure what to do, if anything can be done, so I’ve moved it out into the sun, given it a drink and used a peg to hold up the nearly chopped off part.

IMG_0862.thumb.jpg.fbd7ef9abf22c8bf947abe19a1c80d60.jpg

IMG_0864.thumb.jpg.54ff01c4a0a2ee6d3b708a051038f071.jpg

A more positive development since the caterpillar incident - two of the germinated hazel seeds have taken off, the one in the foreground in particular is growing rapidly in this sunny weather, so much so that I can actually see a difference from this morning.

IMG_0876.thumb.jpg.64df9cd757c958996d4c8bbfb4d01e9e.jpg

TREE UPDATE

The hazels are looking very well but what’s surprised me is just how much the bird cherry has grown after caterpillargate. It’s shot up! I knew they were fast growers but still. At this rate I reckon it will be ready to be planted out in the wild along with the ash.

Did a wee survey of my planned planting site and I’m confident that these trees can be planted fairly discreetly with a wooden stake and a fine mesh tree guard. I will post pictures when they are in their final resting place.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ffs don't tag that psycho, he'll be round wanting a cuppa the mora emoji38.png

My grandfather stays in Dumfries and my Aunt now lives on the road out to New Abbey.

I take milk and two and have a preference for Fox’s Classics.

Wall is 20 feet too low and each ball should be replaced with a mounted machine gun.
Other than that, looks good!
It should be enough to keep the Mexicans out hopefully.
Nice work [emoji122] and I’m glad you’re going to tarmac, rather than using blocks on the drive, i wish I had 
Aye we kept chopping and changing with what to do out the front. Block paving looks nice but it needs maintenance if weeds get through, same for slabs. I wasn't 100% on tarmac because you see driveways sinking over time but that may be more to do with poor quality. The guys we are getting know what they are doing and aren't cowboys so I doubt that will be a major problem. No maintenance being the biggest draw.
My grandfather stays in Dumfries and my Aunt now lives on the road out to New Abbey.
I take milk and two and have a preference for Fox’s Classics.
I'll give you a cuppa if you give me some of your Aunt's millions [emoji14]