Garden Options

HGG

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Funnily enough that's what weve just spoke about, a shade or 2 darker than natural but not as dark as the fence. Going to have a look at cuprinol shades just now

spot on - exactly what i was going to say, before opting to go for the ridiculous seafaring comment instead...

Just now, Herman Hessian said:

spot on - exactly what i was going to say, before opting to go for the ridiculous seafaring comment instead...

It's fine, Id be lying if I said it hadn't given me a nautical vibe with the rope etc.

New greenhouse has been delivered but I'm not starting the vegetable patch project on the lower level until all the painting up tops been done!

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll agree with this. Don't get me wrong, today has flown in, got my new 3ft fence done and the 6ft behind the decking (which was a f*cking chore not to get it on the decking with a dust sheet). Had the headphones in and listened to a few stand up shows on Spotify so had a good laugh while painting.

Question though, or an opinion rather.

What colour oil do you think would be decent on the decking against the dark oak fence?

I want to oil it dark oak as well but the Mrs likes the colour it is natural so just wants clear oil.  Any opinions welcome..

IMG_20200618_193425.jpg

Either leave it natural and clear stain it or as abdy else says go a few shades darker.

I'm currently painting my fence, raised beds and sleeper surrounds of my garden and they're all going a slate grey colour. Always looks good with vivid greens of the grass and plants in the borders popping against it. I'd reccomend getting some pots or wooden troughs  (if you've got left over timber) and planting them up with some bamboos or ferns - leafy green plants to soften the look.

11 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Either leave it natural and clear stain it or as abdy else says go a few shades darker.

I'm currently painting my fence, raised beds and sleeper surrounds of my garden and they're all going a slate grey colour. Always looks good with vivid greens of the grass and plants in the borders popping against it. I'd reccomend getting some pots or wooden troughs  (if you've got left over timber) and planting them up with some bamboos or ferns - leafy green plants to soften the look.

I've got 1 big raised bed down on the lower level, I'm going to use that for potatoes and the rest of the lower level will be my greenhouse and a few slightly raised beds, but into the actual ground for planting etc.

You can see the bed on the left of this photo I took from the back of the bottom level. I'll get round to painting them when I start my veg project.

IMG_20200616_202521.jpg

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I’d leave your garden as it is tbh it looks lovely, particularly the dead unicorn.

They tend to compost very well. Hoof and Horn are great for potatoes and veg in general...

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

How do you stop daisy's coming back?

Tried to dig them out then the mofos appear again

Are they in your lawn? I'm assuming so. You can get a selective weed killer which kills broad leaves weeds (basically any plant that's not grass)  in grass. Check B&Q. You'll maybe need a couple of treatments through the season but should get rid of them.

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

How do you stop daisy's coming back?

Tried to dig them out then the mofos appear again

Weedkiller or salt should sort them out.

Alternatively you could just leave them, they add a wee bit of colour to the grass and attract bees to the garden.

On 18/06/2020 at 17:24, Bairnardo said:

Of all the household jobs I have ever done, fence painting is the worst, and whatever is in second isnt anywhere near the fucker

Do you have any roughcast on your house? Go and try paint it white and you're position will change very quickly imo. Took us 4 layers, paint gets everywhere cause you're mashing it in every time, no matter how hard you try some bits just wont get paint on them and the windows and my glasses still have speckles of paint on them. Plus it drinks paint like an away day in a beer garden. And that good £30 a tub masonry paint too.

By comparison it took the missus and me an hour to paint the new 6 foot  fence, requiring a single coat of the cheapest shit wood paint in b and q. It was an absolute joy after the wall.

Edited by Lambie's Pigeon Feed

On 18/06/2020 at 12:23, PWL said:

Thats not a lupin. 

THAT'S a lupin.  

IMG_20200609_072225.thumb.jpg.2d6d00a7fffce9483f525c205f23796d.jpg

Joking aside, my lupins have done really well this year. Normally only get a couple of flower heads and that's it. Not sure if the drier weather has suited them or something. 

I have since sacked my groundskeeper for insubordination/lying.

Nice lupins btw

20 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

They tend to compost very well. Hoof and Horn are great for potatoes and veg in general...

Are they in your lawn? I'm assuming so. You can get a selective weed killer which kills broad leaves weeds (basically any plant that's not grass)  in grass. Check B&Q. You'll maybe need a couple of treatments through the season but should get rid of them.

I have weeds I want off my grass. Anything I have tried so far has been a failure. Any advice or what I should get is appreciated 

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I have weeds I want off my grass. Anything I have tried so far has been a failure. Any advice or what I should get is appreciated 

To be honest the stuff I use is industrial strength in circumstances in which you need a pesticide license to use. I've never used a B&Q selective weed killer so couldn't reccomend a particular one. Also depends on the size, type and quantity of weeds. 

Things like clover or buttercup have long shoots which grow roots as they creep along the surface of your lawn so they're harder to get rid of. Dandelions etc are a bit easier. 

The best advice I can give is if its granules then water the grass the night before you put the stuff down. Then the next day water it after you put it down on the target area.

For sprays make sure it's a dry day and not breezy, just spray enough to coat the whole area at least 6 - 8 hours before rain or whatever it says on the label. 

For both, don't cut the grass for at least 10 days, ideally a fortnight. Then don't cut it short - you want to leave the weeds as intact as possible to absorb the chemical and die off completely. Cutting the grass and therefore the weeds short potentially removes any leaves and stems which are taking the weed killer down to the roots to kill the entire plant.

You'll probably need to do that a couple of times through the summer to get rid of them if they've been there a while.

While you're in B&Q buy some grass seed and a good wire rake for the inevitable patches.

6 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Do you have any roughcast on your house? Go and try paint it white and you're position will change very quickly imo. Took us 4 layers, paint gets everywhere cause you're mashing it in every time, no matter how hard you try some bits just wont get paint on them and the windows and my glasses still have speckles of paint on them. Plus it drinks paint like an away day in a beer garden. And that good £30 a tub masonry paint too.

By comparison it took the missus and me an hour to paint the new 6 foot  fence, requiring a single coat of the cheapest shit wood paint in b and q. It was an absolute joy after the wall.

Years ago I had a client who's garage needed painting. See getting the old flaky stuff off...now that was just as hard as painting it. Was absolutely depressing knowing by the time I got the worst of the old stuff off I had to paint the whole bloody thing.

Slabs finished apart from wee step at the gate. Frames to be built either side of path and filled with  type 1 then whacked down. Topped with a skim of sand then artificial grass on top. That leaves the plastic hut to be built and some chips put down at the wee gap between the slabs and the front fence

IMG-20200620-WA0009.jpg