Garden Options

HGG

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The back garden however.....different story.
When we moved in about 6 years ago, we've now done everything to the house, except the back garden. Where our house is situated, it's like halfway up a hill, so the back garden had a hell of a slope on it, and we were losing so much space to the slope so we'd been saving a bit to eventually get the garden done at some point. Being furloughed from work, this was the perfect time to put a bit of graft in and see what could be done.
The first 2 pics show you how horrendous the garden was, literally only cut the grass every couple weeks and left it, despised it, place was a state.
So I built a small retaining wall with sleepers, setting posts deep down and fixing sleepers along the line of the fence at the bottom of the slope, knocked down the wee walls in front of the shed and got rid of the old greenhouse. Used the small wall to fill up the slope, so as not to disturb the ground underneath which was already solid and the broken wall will allow for decent drainage underneath.
Got a wee 1.5T digger in, levelled out the ground, dug out a 2nd tier at the bottom of the garden and built a small retaining wall with sleepers, and put some wee steps sunk in for access down.
That's where we are up to at the moment.
Got 280 slabs, sand and type 1 coming today to start slabbing the top level,the bottom level at the back I'll be puting in a 3ft fence with gate at steps and that bottom bit will be me and the daughters "grow your own" patch.
New wee greenhouse coming soon and I can start to construct the beds for our veg!20200513_193651.jpeg20200513_193646.jpeg20200516_142112.jpeg20200518_132139.jpeg20200519_132336.jpeg20200519_163810.jpeg20200519_200718.jpeg20200520_140321.jpeg

Fantastic work. As I've shown with my garden, I love a sleeper wall. A lot of work, but worth it to get a flat, usable garden.

High winds for two days have wrecked the stems on my potatoes, courgettes and beans. Don't know if they will survive. Just tasted some rocket that I grew from seeds I collected from last year's plant and it tastes foul, bitter and burns your mouth. 

EnormousSnoopyDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

Laid some turf out the back of my house just last week and been told to use boards to walk on it, even if I'm just moving the sprinkler. Does any body know how much a difference it would make if I just went and moved it? It seems a lot of hassle, I've only got 8×4 boards.

20 hours ago, just me 2 said:

Laid some turf out the back of my house just last week and been told to use boards to walk on it, even if I'm just moving the sprinkler. Does any body know how much a difference it would make if I just went and moved it? It seems a lot of hassle, I've only got 8×4 boards.

An occasional quick hop over it should be fine. Just vary your routes if possible.

Sakes man.

My bird cherry has come under attack from a caterpillar. Underneath the second peg from the top (where the little b*****d was hiding) the stem has almost been completely chewed through. As you can see, everything above this peg is now dying - which is annoying because there was lots of new growth coming through and the plant has been gaining plenty height since I potted it. I’m not sure what to do, if anything can be done, so I’ve moved it out into the sun, given it a drink and used a peg to hold up the nearly chopped off part.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

12 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Sakes man.

My bird cherry has come under attack from a caterpillar. Underneath the second peg from the top (where the little b*****d was hiding) the stem has almost been completely chewed through. As you can see, everything above this peg is now dying - which is annoying because there was lots of new growth coming through and the plant has been gaining plenty height since I potted it. I’m not sure what to do, if anything can be done, so I’ve moved it out into the sun, given it a drink and used a peg to hold up the nearly chopped off part.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Not much you can do other than pick off the wee b*****d and launch it where the birds will get it and keep an eye out for any more. Cut off the dead bits, keep it watered and the tree will keep itself right.

The last 2 days have been absolutely gruelling work! Laid 100 slabs both days aswell as the type 1 and sand which had to be barrowed from the driveway round the back.
I just went for the bog standard 600x600 grey slab, as it's really only a big bit for the kids to play on, dug to run about on and then in a few weeks build our big decking bit on.
66 slabs left, hopefully get them all in today, and posts set for the new fence (which separates the end of the runway and back garden).
20200527_071713.jpeg20200527_071715.jpeg

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The last 2 days have been absolutely gruelling work! Laid 100 slabs both days aswell as the type 1 and sand which had to be barrowed from the driveway round the back.
I just went for the bog standard 600x600 grey slab, as it's really only a big bit for the kids to play on, dug to run about on and then in a few weeks build our big decking bit on.
66 slabs left, hopefully get them all in today, and posts set for the new fence (which separates the end of the runway and back garden).
20200527_071713.jpeg20200527_071715.jpeg

That's one beast of a job. Enjoy your chiropractor sessions when lockdown ends!

Posts in and the last of the slabs down.
Along the edge of where the slabs go to the retaining wall, they're actually about 150mm from the edge all the way round, for as you say "run off". This part will be filled with some nice stone just to set it off round the edges.

Next plan once the rails and slats are on the new fence you can see at the left of the pic, is paint the fencing and shed. Think I'm going with a "dark oak" and in going to invest in a spray gun for it since I've a load to paint.
Been looking at the Wagner flexio range and watched a few videos, seems to be a pretty decent bit of kit.
Anyone got one or used one?20200527_181513.jpeg

On 23/05/2020 at 08:47, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The back garden however.....different story.
When we moved in about 6 years ago, we've now done everything to the house, except the back garden. Where our house is situated, it's like halfway up a hill, so the back garden had a hell of a slope on it, and we were losing so much space to the slope so we'd been saving a bit to eventually get the garden done at some point. Being furloughed from work, this was the perfect time to put a bit of graft in and see what could be done.
The first 2 pics show you how horrendous the garden was, literally only cut the grass every couple weeks and left it, despised it, place was a state.
So I built a small retaining wall with sleepers, setting posts deep down and fixing sleepers along the line of the fence at the bottom of the slope, knocked down the wee walls in front of the shed and got rid of the old greenhouse. Used the small wall to fill up the slope, so as not to disturb the ground underneath which was already solid and the broken wall will allow for decent drainage underneath.
Got a wee 1.5T digger in, levelled out the ground, dug out a 2nd tier at the bottom of the garden and built a small retaining wall with sleepers, and put some wee steps sunk in for access down.
That's where we are up to at the moment.
Got 280 slabs, sand and type 1 coming today to start slabbing the top level,the bottom level at the back I'll be puting in a 3ft fence with gate at steps and that bottom bit will be me and the daughters "grow your own" patch.
New wee greenhouse coming soon and I can start to construct the beds for our veg!20200513_193651.jpeg20200513_193646.jpeg20200516_142112.jpeg20200518_132139.jpeg20200519_132336.jpeg20200519_163810.jpeg20200519_200718.jpeg20200520_140321.jpeg

Sleepers are great for building garden features. I’m going build a box with sleepers in our garden, make a raised rockery or planting bed once we’ve got a few other things done. Did this at my old place but always missed having it since we moved.

First skip of stones got uplifted yesterday and an empty skip dropped off, so before phase 2 commences, the big dig continues.

No idea why the c**ts we bought the house from put so much bloody stones down! 🤦🏻‍♂️

E63E95BB-EAFA-43E8-A9F9-1710B20CF675.jpeg

That's a lot of stones getting rid of [emoji23].

Its amazing what folks are needing on gumtree btw...
I put an advert on yesterday just chancing my arm, I've got about 30 of 3ft x 2ft slabs I lifted right at the start of this project and stacked. So I advertised them free to uplift and since I done it the phones been red hot. Guys here just now barrowing the lot Into a 3.5t Luton van.
Once they're away I can hopefully get cracking on the decking area!

Sleepers are great for building garden features. I’m going build a box with sleepers in our garden, make a raised rockery or planting bed once we’ve got a few other things done. Did this at my old place but always missed having it since we moved.

First skip of stones got uplifted yesterday and an empty skip dropped off, so before phase 2 commences, the big dig continues.
No idea why the c**ts we bought the house from put so much bloody stones down! [emoji2359]
E63E95BB-EAFA-43E8-A9F9-1710B20CF675.thumb.jpeg.f7e1baa4ea318d1cecd4eb1f157ed9b8.jpeg

A more positive development since the caterpillar incident - two of the germinated hazel seeds have taken off, the one in the foreground in particular is growing rapidly in this sunny weather, so much so that I can actually see a difference from this morning.

IMG_0876.jpg