Garden Options

HGG

They wont bother you , if you get them in the house put some ant powder down outside the door and you'll be fine but around this time of year they start nesting and for nearly2 weeks you cant do anything to stop them , after that you wont see them till next year .

Planning on doing a bit of work to the garden where they are so was hoping to not have them nest there. Thanks for the advice.

On 11/04/2020 at 13:50, mathematics said:

I put a bunch of wild seeds down last year, for flowers that the bees will like. Will they reflower this year?

They should, a lot of these packets of bee-friendly wildflowers will self-seed, poppies, alliums, cornflower etc. They'll come back time & again, it's a great way of "lazy gardening" for want of a better word. You can have wee bits of wildflower meadow around the garden.

They should, a lot of these packets of bee-friendly wildflowers will self-seed, poppies, alliums, cornflower etc. They'll come back time & again, it's a great way of "lazy gardening" for want of a better word. You can have wee bits of wildflower meadow around the garden.
Daffodils are good for this aswell. I have them pop up every summer and all I need to do is keep the surrounding area tidy.

16 hours ago, grumswall said:

Anyone got any tried and tested methods for getting rid of ants in the garden? Tried putting powder down where I seen them coming from and to last summer but haven't had any success as they are back this year.

I wouldn't worry about them in the garden but if you REALLY want to kill them get an empty trigger gun bottle and mix the powder in water and spray it into the cracks and the water will take the poison further into the nest. Works well in the house too because it's safer if there are kids or pets around as the excess can be wiped up.

11 hours ago, grumswall said:
12 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Daffodils are good for this aswell. I have them pop up every summer and all I need to do is keep the surrounding area tidy.

We also have some wild tulips that appear year after year.  Sadly, like the daffodils, they don’t last long.

45FA03AA-605E-440D-8B87-DE320D2A5D3C.thumb.jpeg.fd4e21e514eb869657087e7a72deb6c7.jpeg

16 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Cba but they're starting to rot underneath and some are popping up a bit. 

If you can’t be arsed posting a simple photo I don’t hold out much hope for you going to the effort of replacing decking. 

13 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If you can’t be arsed posting a simple photo I don’t hold out much hope for you going to the effort of replacing decking. 

I thought this too. Cheeky c**t looking for advice but ‘cba’ taking a photo? f**k off pal. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Your toms are miles ahead of mine, when did you plant them?

They are beefsteak "black krim" and "San marzano" types and I started them in seed trays in the house under a light then transferred to 3 inch pots then Into those boxes. The boxes have chunks of rotten fish and chicken manure pellets so they are well fed. 

The weather has been unbelievable here in Ireland for weeks now.

Its my first year doing veg so I don't really know what I'm at. 

Close up of my biggest tom.

20200425_144617.jpg

Can you over water bedding plants? I seem to have managed to kill some already and my ferns and acers dont look great. Genuinely though ferns grew like weeds

ETA I dont think I watered them enough but was worried about overdoing it.

Yes. Most plants don't like being regularly watered, give them a few days off.
Healthy plants need healthy roots. If the ground is overly watered you tend to get shallower roots which are more prone to disease. Give them a break and it forces the plant to send the roots a bit deeper searching for the moisture.

“- Growth has its season. There are spring and summer, but there are also fall and winter. And then spring and summer again. As long as the roots are not severed, all is well and all be well.” 

On 25/04/2020 at 16:23, MixuFixit said:

looking good. See these bits (circled) - nip those off as they come through so it puts all its energy into its main leaves, improves the yield.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e10564368ec1b1af14c2dce82aa011f5.jpg

What should I be feeding them with and how often. I just gave them seaweed fertilizer but I have loads of other stuff.  There are bottles leftover from when I did some "indoor gardening" Vega, flora, and boost. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

I don't treat them any different to other stuff so just a feed with some fertiliser once a week or thereabouts. You can never over water them once they're well established in my experience though.

Cool.there is a good run off from those tubs I am using and I think the soil is really clay so doesn't hold moisture well. I'll water them more often.

I saved earthworms I found and put 2 or 3 in every tub so I hope that helps with the dense soil.