Garden Options

HGG

Nettles in your lawn? Cutting it regularly before it gets knee height should deal with those. :P Anything with glyphosphate in it will do away with nettles at the root, but if there is a field full of them near you you will have to keep on dealing with them all the time I think. We have horsetail in one part of the garden and it's a total bugger to get rid of. I think I have managed it though. If you get horsetail put on a rubber glove and spray the weedkiller onto your hand and then gently crush the plant but not enough to destroy it, then the weedkiller gets down to the root system and kills it.

I quite like nettles though, I make nettle soup and nettle tea. I keep a few dandelions around because I like the leaves in salads and the tortoise likes to eat them as well. :lol:

I cut the grass regularly ya cheeky bugger!

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

ive an overgrown garden ive been working on the last two nights.

not even moved in yet but fancied getting a start.

I know all the back gardens used to be allotments years ago so i think the soil is already good.

there is rhubarb, raspberries brambles growing out of control. raspberries especially as i can see the original spot where they have been planted and now they are all over the place.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything growing like weeds (inc the weeds! :rolleyes: ) with the rain/sun/rain.

Tatties and garlic coming along nicely but the birds have destroyed all the peas and beans I put in ( i have raised some in the g/house to put out once established)

Tomatoes now starting to produce yellow flowers. Radishes ready and beetroot will be in a couple of weeks.

The garden is also full of birds, some new wee babies and the blackbird baby has finally flown the nest last night! (it survived the night, I spotted it today! :) ) They are eating everything in sight just now. 5 fat balls demolished in just over an hour! I could watch them all day :D:D

• 2 years later...

When do i start planting seeds for flowers for the summer?

Bit early yet. But if you have heat in a greenhouse you would be ok. Last year I grew plenty of stock from seed, I would give it another month , then sow in trays. you could bring them inside if we get a Spring like last year.

Grass seed or turf?

Our new dog just loves pissing all over my grass and killing it. Now with all the bare patches she`s started diging in it... proper mess.

Would i be better putting down grass seed on the bare patches or just re-turffing the whole section? It`s about 20meters square.

I need to put some serious thought into what to do with my first garden which I've only had since May.

So far it's a decent sized rectangular patch of grass which only gets used to hang the washing up over. The beech hedge along the length of one side is a thing of beauty, albeit copper dead just now.

I'm quite impressed at the improvement I made to the grass however after giving it a heavy dose of Evergreen. I also discovered I had a nasty moss problem by the autumn but a 10x overdose of whatever I used seemed to do the job (what should have done a tennis court barely did half the garden!) has done the job without killing everything.

I shall be keeping my eyes on this thread but will almost certainly be buying my veg forever more. My next door neighbour gave me a sack of tatties a few months back seeing as he had a ridiculous surplus.

Grass seed or turf?

Our new dog just loves pissing all over my grass and killing it. Now with all the bare patches she`s started diging in it... proper mess.

Would i be better putting down grass seed on the bare patches or just re-turffing the whole section? It`s about 20meters square.

To be honest if you re turf you will still have the same problem I guess. Although you can buy rolls of turf with out breaking the bank. Seeding would be cheaper and you continue with that year long.

Grass seed or turf?

I got fake grass for my patch out my back garden. It's superb. Not cheap, but looks the part and will do all year round.

ive an overgrown garden ive been working on the last two nights.

not even moved in yet but fancied getting a start.

I know all the back gardens used to be allotments years ago so i think the soil is already good.

there is rhubarb, raspberries brambles growing out of control. raspberries especially as i can see the original spot where they have been planted and now they are all over the place.

Ok, three years later and i still havent finished the garden. Ive plans to do a DIY polytunnel and got some good ideas from this guy on a gardening thread.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74134761

Anyone?

Are you looking to just fill in gaps or re seed a whole area? You can just buy seed and scatter pop some compost on top but water regularly. The birds love it (feathered).