Garden Options

HGG

Good work, i have spent half of today planting, and constructing a bird table.

Aye, I made the bird table in the photos above. I spent today constructing a table out of spare wood for using at barbeques n stuff. I had a few bits of spare timber, and I had a couple old shelves from a computer table. As someone who used to be woodwork chronic, I'm quite proud of myself! :ph34r:

post-11702-12740540505571_thumb.jpg

Reasonably solid, a good height, and a fair size, and what I'm most proud of is that it can be assembled or disassembled in seconds with no screws or nails to deal with, and stored flat.

post-11702-12740541102996_thumb.jpg

Edited by xbl

Good stuff!

Im liking the night shot. It looks very tranquil.

Do you have an outside light (for BBQs at night etc. )?

We've got a standard outside light by Vectron, nothing special, but by Vectron's intent to rob, it does the job!

I'm getting the mono-block all round my house washed, power washed and then sealed with kiln dried sand.

The guy gave me a quote for it this morning and hes starting tonight and hopefully finishing tomorrow.

I'm really glad to be getting this sorted as I power washed the back blocks last year, didn't get the sand done and the weeds are driving me nuts.

I would do it myself but my tinnitus is real bad and even with ear protection its not good for my ears at all.

Ive taken some 'before' pics, so Ill put them up with the 'after' pics once the jobs done.

The powerwashing anf general cleaning of the paths and driveways was finished yesterday.. it looks a million times better.

Theyre coming back tomorrow to finish it off and put the Kiln dried sand down, but even without that it looks like a new monoblocks have been put down.

I have some before and after pics but Ill wait till the sand is down and take some of the finished article before posting.

Im well happy :)

Got some more grass(legal) seed today to try to patch up my lawn. Anybody got any ideas on the best way to apply this? It is just a couple patches that are bare(ish). If i just chuck them on the birds will have a field day...

Got some more grass(legal) seed today to try to patch up my lawn. Anybody got any ideas on the best way to apply this? It is just a couple patches that are bare(ish). If i just chuck them on the birds will have a field day...

Ive heard of people putting sticks in at points round the seeded area, running string from stick to stick and putting plastic bags at regular intervals along the strings. I dont know if it works or not though.

Monoblock work all finished :D

Theyve made a great job of it.

Before

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

After

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Im really pleased. :)

Need to cut the grass later though. Its growing like mad!!

Edited by MattBairn

• 3 weeks later...

bumpity bump.

first strawberry eaten yesterday by the wee man. there are hundreds on the plants. Been neglecting the garden a lot due to working like feck. Grass needs cut the courgette is like a triffid. Carrots and lettuce by the bucket load. need to get back into it.

• 6 months later...

I have no idea if my parsnips and brussels sprouts are going to be ok. I'm going to try and dig them out on sunday. After all my hard work too, I fear the snow may have ruined them. :(

Carrots should be ok, I put them into the greenhouse in Nov along with the Xmas potatoes. Fingers crossed!

I pulled this out of the garden on sunday. the ones in the tubs are frozen solid. will put them in the garage on the 23rd to thaw out. i still have 3 in the ground. Hope they are as big as this one :lol:

The pot of carrots and tatties are frozen solid in the greenhouse. Wil bring in to house tonight to thaw. Will need to buy parsnips though. The ground is solid, fork and spade making no difference whatsoever. Gutted! :(

The pot of carrots and tatties are frozen solid in the greenhouse. Wil bring in to house tonight to thaw. Will need to buy parsnips though. The ground is solid, fork and spade making no difference whatsoever. Gutted! :(

you might be a snookered if the ground is totally solid. mine were no probs to lift that were in the ground but it was quite deep. the tubs are still solid but they will be brought into the garage later in the week. The frost actually benefits the parsnips for taste apparantly. (i dont like them) :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Well i ventured out yesterday and started to tidy up a bit. Just where do you start? Cut back some dead vegetation and leaves. Some snow drops down there. I even have growth on some of my Clematis. So i guess i will need to feed the. The lawn seems to have survived the rigours of the winter. But the Rosemary has died again.

• 4 weeks later...

Cut back my conifers in the front garden today as well as the lavender and a few other bits and bobs.

Tidied up my box hedge (ooeerr) and trimmed a few conifers and perennials in the back garden.

Im hopefully getting my outside tap fitted so I have an automatic watering system for my greenhouse and veg patch within the next week or so.

Also put down weedkiller on my monoblock but it rained within the 6 hour time limit so will probably have to do it again soon.

Im waiting on the warmer weather before brushing kiln dried sand over it again. Too damp just now.

We've also ordered up slabs to build a small patio are at the back of the garden as its a nightmare with weeds.

Not having someone next door makes the back corner hellish to keep nice.

i cleaned the greenhouse at the weekend. Finally lifted the parsnips which had to go in the bin :(

Garlic is planted and the tatties are chitting. I've got all my seed packets ready for sowing but still awfy cold to start, maybe the end of the month.

The daffies and tulips (which I put into pots last year) are appearing. Can't wait for a bit of colour to brighten the garden up!