Garden Options

HGG

The woods manageable though. Even if it isn't quite spot on, it simply looks more natural! Is the decking already there? If you are doing decking, surely you can add steps? Concrete is a bit more set in stone (so to speak). If its not done right, it looks squint and wrong. Are you planning it from scratch, or getting some sort of kit? A lot of decking kit includes steps with it does it not? I'm no expert in this though, I'm just a man with an angle grinder.

The garden at the moment is grass and a shed!

I'll give the steps a bash and post pics for your hilarity. :)

I think xbl is right. Wooden steps would look much more natural and would obviously blend in better with the decking and garden in general.

Hows your garden coming along xbl?

It was looking very nice the last I saw. :)

I think xbl is right. Wooden steps would look much more natural and would obviously blend in better with the decking and garden in general.

Hows your garden coming along xbl?

It was looking very nice the last I saw. :)

I'm quite pleased with it! The Pansies have almost all come up really well, the grass looks alright, albeit still a bit bare, but I got a proper mower, so that should be kinder to it. The current annoyance is that the stuff in the greenhouse isn't coming up that well, but thats because slugs keep sneaking in, and I keep forgetting to water them. Still, I plan to put a couple more plants out at the weekend, and hopefully the other flowers will continue to grow. Oh, and its beautiful by night, all twinkly and colourful!

Of course, its all ultimately for naught, my landlord is selling up, so I'm gone in the autumn. :(

The garden at the moment is grass and a shed!

I'll give the steps a bash and post pics for your hilarity. :)

In that case, when you buy decking, you should be able to pick up the stuff for steps easily enough! For gods sake though, don't tell your wife you've changed your mind because some blokes on the internet said so!

Edited by xbl

I'm quite pleased with it! The Pansies have almost all come up really well, the grass looks alright, albeit still a bit bare, but I got a proper mower, so that should be kinder to it. The current annoyance is that the stuff in the greenhouse isn't coming up that well, but thats because slugs keep sneaking in, and I keep forgetting to water them. Still, I plan to put a couple more plants out at the weekend, and hopefully the other flowers will continue to grow. Oh, and its beautiful by night, all twinkly and colourful!

Of course, its all ultimately for naught, my landlord is selling up, so I'm gone in the autumn. :(

Yeah but its still worth it for the time youre currently spending there. And youll be able to take your experience on to the next garden you have :)

Excellent. I need a barrier from next door's weans, but I don't want to put in hedging or the like.

Be careful what type you get. You dont want the type that spreads like crazy.

Read up on the type you get before you buy it. Itll save hassle in the long run.

Although if you dont have anything near where youre planting it, you should be ok with the spreading type.

I had to remove some over the last year or so as it spread a good 8 foot and was sprouting in my veg patch.

It was a nightmare to get out as it had travelled under a path which had to be ripped up to remove the roots.

Sounds like youd be better with a 'clumping' bamboo which doesnt spread fast but creates a good barrier and if you plant enough itll make a good wind break or 'noise' break :D

I really do lvoe bamboo. Its one of my favourite plants.

Be careful what type you get. You dont want the type that spreads like crazy.

Read up on the type you get before you buy it. Itll save hassle in the long run.

Although if you dont have anything near where youre planting it, you should be ok with the spreading type.

I had to remove some over the last year or so as it spread a good 8 foot and was sprouting in my veg patch.

It was a nightmare to get out as it had travelled under a path which had to be ripped up to remove the roots.

Sounds like youd be better with a 'clumping' bamboo which doesnt spread fast but creates a good barrier and if you plant enough itll make a good wind break or 'noise' break :D

I really do lvoe bamboo. Its one of my favourite plants.

Cheers! been doing a bit of internet hunting and there seem to be several types that grow to about 2-4 meteres and clump. Thinking of combining a bed with this and some ferns.

Any particular websites you'd recommend? keep it clean mind... :D

Edited by Pink Freud

Yeah but its still worth it for the time youre currently spending there. And youll be able to take your experience on to the next garden you have :)

Aye, I'm desperate to move into somewhere with a garden! I'm not at the state where I can by a house (hopefully in a year and a half's time!) so I just need somewhere to tide me over. I don't want a flat in the meantime though, gardening is pretty much my only hobby.

Bamboo arrived today so I potted them. Look good :)

I also planted my tatties, 2 tomato plants, 1 green chili plant, 1 sweet chili plant and 1 japaleno plant (HEEHEE :D)

First load of lettuce and radish picked today and eaten for dinner. Most stuff coming on great. Got celery, parsnips and carrots in the ground.

Constant battle keeping the birds away from the blueberry bush,blackcurrants and rasps. the blighters even got under the netting. Is it just me or does there seem to be more cgarden pests? The slugs are kept at bay with the john smiths so far. Mice are being kept at bay with the trap.

Got pumpkins and corgettes coming on great too but the butternut squash is proving difficult. all the dig in stuff has been sown.

Asda has a good deal on 70l compost bags 2 for £6 and the stuffs okay. I seem to spend a fortune at garden centres these days. A lot of flowers from last year are coming on great like the dahlies and begonias. lavantara and cesonosis that i thought might be dead are coming back. Hanging baskets planted up too so looks like plenty of flowers and veg. Will need to get some pics taken,.

Just about got the lawn back from the ravages of winter..Rhubarb is stunning, planted up my tubs will keep them under cover for another week methinks,god i am knackered. Oh and still at war with the local cats...

Just about got the lawn back from the ravages of winter..Rhubarb is stunning, planted up my tubs will keep them under cover for another week methinks,god i am knackered. Oh and still at war with the local cats...

cats hate getting scooshed by water. they also dont like lavender. Theres a spray you can buy that comes in a green container from garden centres that are quite good.

i bought a few more tubs and troughs from homebase today for my carrots and beans and stuff. i dont have enough space for rhubarb but luckily my old man has some and is bringing it round. Rhubarb crumble :D

We had some melon a few weeks ago and my daughter wanted to plant some seeds. So now we hae twelve melon plants in grow bags in the greenhouse. Hope they come to fruition as I love melon/s 8)