Garden Options

HGG

Woohoo! Look at these fiery little bassas!

:( My chilli pepper plant didn't make it. Yours look great though, Reina :D.

I've had another batch of potatoes and more carrots this week. Another couple of weeks and I'll have to dig up the rest of the carrots as they'll all be ready I reckon. Slugs have definitely seen to my swedes though I reckon. The whole lot of them. Leaves practically all gone. I'll take a photo and post it next week when I'm back home. Little sods they are! :angry: In fact, they're not so little. I saw one in my garden last week and it was so damn fat it could hardly move <_<. It must've been about five inches long, an inch wide and an inch high! I've never seen a slug so big! I'm getting tough with them next year.

My chilli plant has about 4 wee green chillies on it just now, they are only about 2cm long though. :unsure:

Leeks are huge and turnips doing well. Xmas potatoes coming on a treat too.

Tomatoes still green but plenty :D

I hope my mum remembers to water everything well when I'm away on holiday.

Guest Brigton Derry Boy

There's a farm not far from where I grew up that grows grass.:wacko: not really, they harvest turf and sell it in rolls. I think their grass was used in either Wembley or the Millenium Stadium. Good to see people putting their gardens to better use than grass growing. I used to grow quite a lot but nothing like the variety people here have managed. I wonder if I could get away with a window box in student accomodation? Might look suspicious. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Wish I'd separated the seedlings:

post-909-1220817324_thumb.jpg

Excited about these:

post-909-1220817378_thumb.jpg

Lovely shallots:

post-909-1220817442_thumb.jpg

Check the size of these - that's a 2p piece beside them! Got loads of these:

post-909-1220816201_thumb.jpg

I know this isn't from the garden, but thought I'd show them off anyway! Had these for tea tonight - my colleague's husband caught them on his boat and smoked them for us. So tasty:

post-909-1220817512_thumb.jpg

Cool chillis Reina. Wish mine had made it. :(

I really need to get out there and harvest the rest of my potatoes now - all the leaves have gone yellow and are wilting. Need to check everything else after the torrential rain we've had here the last week. It's flood material by me at times at the moment. Thankfully I don't live near the bottom of the hill!

Where's Matt? He must've moved house by now? No news on his garden yet?

:D

Wish I'd separated the seedlings:

post-909-1220817324_thumb.jpg

Excited about these:

post-909-1220817378_thumb.jpg

Lovely shallots:

post-909-1220817442_thumb.jpg

Check the size of these - that's a 2p piece beside them! Got loads of these:

post-909-1220816201_thumb.jpg

I know this isn't from the garden, but thought I'd show them off anyway! Had these for tea tonight - my colleague's husband caught them on his boat and smoked them for us. So tasty:

post-909-1220817512_thumb.jpg

What type of chillies are they Reina? I got Habanero seeds to plant for next year. If yours are any good keep me some seeds will you? :P

Planted all my bulbs yesterday for the spring. Everything has been battered by the rain,planters etc past there best now. Im going to start to take cuttings for nx year. I keep as much as i can saves a fortune in garden centre cost....

What type of chillies are they Reina? I got Habanero seeds to plant for next year. If yours are any good keep me some seeds will you? :P

Erm, I think they were apache chillis. No problem keeping you some seeds - how do you do it? Is it just the seeds from inside the chilli?

• 2 weeks later...

Since it was gorgeous yesterday, I spent the whole day in the garden.

Planted bulbs for spring colour (narcissi, anemone, tulips)

Tidied up all the weeds and chucked out all the dead stuff (sweet peas, hanging baskets etc)

Has everyone picked their tomatoes yet? Mine are still green :(

Sowed some spring cabbage and mixed salad.

Leeks are turnips still in and looking great. Herb garden still gowing strong, picked loads of sage to dry out in garage. Xmas tatties are getting big already, big bushes with some flowers!

I nipped to Klondyke in Polmont later in the afternoon and met Carole Baxter from Beechgorve Garden. What a nice lady, I was asking advice about my front garden which is very windy and in shade most of the day. She gave me some ideas :D

p.s. My hamstrings are killing me today with all the digging and bending up and down <_<:rolleyes::lol:

Mrs Napoli & I moved into a house in Shrewsbury which had a 'mature' garden - when I say mature, I mean hadn't been touched for 30 years!!

I've spent the best part of a driecht Summer sorting it out. Front garden nearly finished (overgrown hedge removed, new fence (hand) built and is now okay for the kids to run around in)

Back garden has been cleared down, ground prepped for laying of a patio & the bonus of removing so much crap has meant that I've been able to re-landscape the far end of the back garden.

Now she likes the idea of getting a conservatory built - thank fcuk the football seaqson has started so my Saturday afternoons can be spent at the Prostart Stadium watching the mighty Shrews!! ;)

Likewise - I cut the grass and did some weeding. My plants are dying aswell, apart from the sweet peas which have gone mental.

Footiechick - my tomatoes were rubbish this year - very disappointing.

Picked more chillis though - they were definitely the success of the summer!

Has everyone picked their tomatoes yet? Mine are still green :(
my tomatoes were rubbish this year - very disappointing.

Mine too. I haven't had any yet. I noticed a couple of days ago that there are a few small green tomatoes on one of the plants. Bad summer for tomatoes and I don't have a greenhouse. :(

4 months on I have finally moved into the new house.

We have loads of veg growing at the moment

Carrots, Brocolli, Chillis, Tatties, Chicory, Pumpkins, Mustard, Radish etc etc.

Ill post some pics once I get my internet connection up and running.

I dont think we'll get too much yield this year, but its fun giving it a try :)

I dont think we'll get too much yield this year, but its fun giving it a try :)

That was my view when I started this year. Since it's went ok this year, I can't wait for sowing next year! :) I still have garlic to plant in the winter, and going to try beans and peas next year.

I'd love a proper greenhouse though, the small plastic frame I have wasn't big enough for the tomatoes :(

• 4 months later...

Well, has anyone started anything so far this year??

I planted out garlic in November and my new greenhouse goes up next week :D

Will start tomato seed this month, and I'm chitting my early potatoes already.

Plans for the spring include sowing peas, french beans, carrots, broccoli, more potatoes and of course tomatoes, cucumber and chillies in greenhouse :)