Garden Options

HGG

Hey @TxRover, I get your point, for a three-times-in-20-years scenario, it might just be a reasonable last-resort solution. And yeah, being on a roof during a blizzard doesn't sound like my idea of a good time either.
Given that we're discussing outdoor spaces, have you considered adding some outdoor furniture to make your garden or patio more comfortable? Even in the winter, a nice setup could make the space inviting. I came across some really neat options you might like, see here. They've got weather-resistant stuff that might even hold up in one of those rare blizzards you're talking about!

Edited by Griffonix

5 hours ago, Griffonix said:

Hey @TxRover, I get your point, for a three-times-in-20-years scenario, it might just be a reasonable last-resort solution. And yeah, being on a roof during a blizzard doesn't sound like my idea of a good time either.

Bots trolling bots, what’s the world coming to?

19 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

We've done this before i'm quite sure, but I guess i'm hoping times have changes............

Someone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of mares tail without digging the whole fucking bed out and binning it

The best way outside of a mini digger and excavating about a meter down is to trample it or brush it with a soft bristled brush etc. Wound it basically. That'll allow you to spray it with the strongest weedkiller you can get your hands on (and I couldn't possibly recommend giving it about three times the recommend dose...). That'll knock it back and just repeat if and, most likely, when it returns.

If its between plants then they'll have to go too im afraid.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The best way outside of a mini digger and excavating about a meter down is to trample it or brush it with a soft bristled brush etc. Wound it basically. That'll allow you to spray it with the strongest weedkiller you can get your hands on (and I couldn't possibly recommend giving it about three times the recommend dose...). That'll knock it back and just repeat if and, most likely, when it returns.

If its between plants then they'll have to go too im afraid.

f**k off man it's right in at my wee Acer which is probably my favourite plant. 

Sake. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

f**k off man it's right in at my wee Acer which is probably my favourite plant. 

Sake. 

If you're careful with the spray you might manage to spray under the acer. I've done it before by cutting the stems if the acer back a little (was a weeping Japanese one) and sprayed under the canopy really carefully. 

This isn't the best time of year for spraying so you won't get peak results but it's worth giving a shot.

You could also try some thick membrane over it and that may suppress the horsetail. 

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If you're careful with the spray you might manage to spray under the acer. I've done it before by cutting the stems if the acer back a little (was a weeping Japanese one) and sprayed under the canopy really carefully. 

This isn't the best time of year for spraying so you won't get peak results but it's worth giving a shot.

You could also try some thick membrane over it and that may suppress the horsetail. 

I do have some weed membrane. Maybe I can spray f**k out it and cover for winter. The acer leaves are way above so that hopefully might be OK. The only other affected would be a couple of daft wee ferns I think. Any particular weedkiller brand?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I do have some weed membrane. Maybe I can spray f**k out it and cover for winter. The acer leaves are way above so that hopefully might be OK. The only other affected would be a couple of daft wee ferns I think. Any particular weedkiller brand?

As long as the active ingredient is Glyphosate then you'll be fine. After spraying let it work for a couple weeks, see if there's signs of dying off. If there is then cover it, if not leave it a little longer. As I say its a bit late for killing it off as growth will be slowing this time of year. Worth a shot though.

Roundup is usually best imo but the stuff in B&Q is a well weaker version to the ones I use professionally.