Garden Options

HGG

Oh well, I guess it's time now to read posts from people trying to make out that it was all worthwhile! :rolleyes:
What do you mean by that?

Take no notice. He's entirely on a fishing trip just there. I wouldn't bother to bite. He's just jealous because he can't go out into his garden and pick/dig up his own home-grown produce :D.

He'll be back on in a bit telling us why it's stupid and that shop-bought produce is much better/easier/whatever. :rolleyes:

Edited by HGG

Take no notice. He's entirely on a fishing trip just there. I wouldn't bother to bite. He's just jealous because he can't go out into his garden and pick/dig up his own home-grown produce :D.

He'll be back on in a bit telling us why it's stupid and that shop-bought produce is much better/easier/whatever. :rolleyes:

Ah.

Well to be honest its not just about the amount or quality of foodstuffs your end up with.

Its about enjoying it as your working on it too.

I went round to my new garden the other day (despite being a month away from moving all going well) and noticed that theres already some food growing in there.

Apples, Plums and Cherries. Im also going to add Garlic, Tomatos and Chillies at least :)

Edited by MattBairn

Matt, are you sure they're leaving all those plants behind? If it was me moving I'd be looking to take them with me.

Anyway - check out this afternoon's work:- B)

post-7423-1216482570_thumb.jpg post-7423-1216482579_thumb.jpg

post-7423-1216482585_thumb.jpg post-7423-1216482590_thumb.jpg

Quality HGG :D

I picked the first of my tatties the other night and they were superb. The peapods are fattening up nicely but the carrots were just the dumpy variety but very tasty. Wll need to get piccies sorted though B)

Thanks. :cheers

Cool! I'm still waiting for my potatoes. You can see them in the photo - they're in the yellow trugs by the fence and are the tallest growing of the plants. My kids have eaten some of the carrots raw, although I actually found the taste too strong for my liking! I'm not a fan of raw carrot anyway, so I'm looking forward to cooking them. Sam and Elise are now referring to them as their own carrots though so I'm not allowed to cook them until they say so. We have guests coming for dinner tomorrow and I'm told that we're to have them then so our guests can enjoy the carrots too. Myself, I think it's more to do with showing off - the "look what we've grown" factor! :lol:

Haven't maintained my tomato plants very well. I should have repotted and staked them far earlier than I did and although we've had a lot of rain which has been good for growth in the garden there haven't been many sunny days, so I'm not convinced I'll get a single tomato out there this year. Might try again next summer though.

We only harvested baby carrots today. I didn't thin them out when the seedlings first appeared so that I could do just that. That also means that I still have enough carrots growing (in the red trug behind Sam in the first photo) to be able to harvest some full-sized ones later. B)

My kids have eaten some of the carrots raw, although

Unless it's in soup i only eat carrots raw I hate the taste of cooked carrot.Same goes with most veg like turnip and cabbage.That mashed orange turnip stuff actually makes me sick.

I still remember the horror when i was working in Ayr town hall and we were asked to take the dinner trays up from the van to the kitchen(was those orange boxes to keep the heat in).Thinking we'd be smart and try and blag some free food(hoping for a pie or sausage roll or something)the look of horror on me and my mates face when we opened the cabbage and sprouts trays and got a face full of sprouty cabbagey steam will never be forgotten.Thinking about it is turning my stomach :barf

Garden wise i gave up on growing my potatoes in the bag.The bottom of the bag was too wet as i couldn't have left enough drainage holes and everything basically rotted.So i'm just watching for the farmer lifting his out next to the cycle path and my bags getting filled with whats left soon.

However i have loads of spinach growing well now :D

Quality garden you have there HGG.

Actual size...

:P

If only that carrot protruding onto the 50p piece didn't look so photoshopped. :P

Edit: You're actually not all that far off though. I *did* say they were baby carrots. Some were as little as an inch long. It was all very exciting pulling them though. :D

Edited by HGG

:lol:

I thought they were deformed golf tees.

:o Hey! Whose side are you on? Traitor! <_<

Edit: I won't be returning the favour of dinner when you're next in Leeds now! :P

Edited by HGG

Guest The Phoenix
:o Hey! Whose side are you on? Traitor! <_<

Edit: I won't be returning the favour of dinner when you're next in Leeds now! :P

:(

You couldn't send me some carrots anyway, could you? Hebs has patented a great idea. ;)

Edited by The Phoenix

You couldn't send me some carrots anyway, could you? Hebs has patented a great idea. ;)
She'd be best saving it till there's ten times that amount - to get value for money out of the second class stamp!

Honestly, some people! Being nice to me in one window and being nasty to me in another (ie, this one!). <_< With friends like that, eh? :lol:

I shall poison each of you with my carrots. :P

Guest The Phoenix
Honestly, some people! Being nice to me in one window and being nasty to me in another (ie, this one!). <_< With friends like that, eh? :lol:

I shall poison each of you with my carrots. :P

Quake! Quake!

post-7951-1216506535_thumb.jpg

Matt, are you sure they're leaving all those plants behind? If it was me moving I'd be looking to take them with me.

Anyway - check out this afternoon's work:- B)

post-7423-1216482570_thumb.jpg post-7423-1216482579_thumb.jpg

post-7423-1216482585_thumb.jpg post-7423-1216482590_thumb.jpg

Yeah theyre moving to a flat so wont have a garden to put them in :thumsup2

Good pics :)