Garden Options

HGG

I've been gathering peas for about a month now. I love peas right out the garden, and so does my two year old daughter :angry: . I have a great crop of mini cucumbers as well and the tomatoes need a couple of sunny days to bring them on. I'm going to make loads of passata this year. We got a passata machine a couple of years ago and it's brilliant.

The peanuts came up really well an d they taste great. The basil is flourishing next to the tomatoes. And some of the spuds are close to needing howked. The runner beans are not ready yet but I planted them out late.

I didn't know that runner beans ALWAYS climb the canes anti clockwise. Weird.

Dilemma...

Two weeks ago I went to my new neighbour's door and asked them if they were going to maintain the ivy at the front of their house. (It is now growing on my house and getting near the gutters at the top). He said he would cut it back and get it off my side. It was a pleasant enough chat.

He still hasn't done it and it's satrting to bug me. I don't want the ivy growing up through the gutters and up on to the roof (it can lift tiles) or near my bedroom window (beasties!)

Do I chap the door again or get someone to do it for me and give him the bill?? :unsure:

The previous owner was always good at cutting it back and maintaining it and he had a lovely back garden. Incidentally they have let the grass at the back grow to almost 2 feet high as well <_<<_<

Edited by footiechick

Do I chap the door again or get someone to do it for me and give him the bill?? :unsure:

I'd give him another week or two. If they've just moved in chances are the ivy isn't the only thing he's needing to do there. If he still hasn't done it then then a reminder would be in order. Give the guy chance to be nice, especially if he was pleasant the last time you spoke :).

My friend bought me a kneeler for my birthday, to save my knees getting knackered on the concrete when I'm out there tending to my produce. :D Picked the first strawberry yesterday. Went to pick another and realised the other side had been bitten and the centre hollowed out by some creature :lol: and <_< all at once!

In other garden news, it looks like I could well win my potato contest as my friend's husband didn't drill the holes in the bottom of her trug like she asked him to and now potatoes are under three inches of water so the leaves have fallen over and look very very sad! It's such a shame too as they were looking much taller and better than mine. :whistle

I'd give him another week or two. If they've just moved in chances are the ivy isn't the only thing he's needing to do there. If he still hasn't done it then then a reminder would be in order. Give the guy chance to be nice, especially if he was pleasant the last time you spoke :).

My friend bought me a kneeler for my birthday, to save my knees getting knackered on the concrete when I'm out there tending to my produce. :D Picked the first strawberry yesterday. Went to pick another and realised the other side had been bitten and the centre hollowed out by some creature :lol: and <_< all at once!

In other garden news, it looks like I could well win my potato contest as my friend's husband didn't drill the holes in the bottom of her trug like she asked him to and now potatoes are under three inches of water so the leaves have fallen over and look very very sad! It's such a shame too as they were looking much taller and better than mine. :whistle

I'll give him until next week! :rolleyes:

I got my potato seeds for my Christmas potatoes yesterday! Will plant them this weekend :D:D

I think you should freecycle the Ivy that's growing on your wall. That way someone will come along and take half of it and your neighbour will only have to get rid of the other half.

I think you should freecycle the Ivy that's growing on your wall. That way someone will come along and take half of it and your neighbour will only have to get rid of the other half.

<_<

In this case, HALF of the item going would work out just fine, so long as it was the half on footiechick's side.

Smart arse! :P

Dilemma...

Two weeks ago I went to my new neighbour's door and asked them if they were going to maintain the ivy at the front of their house. (It is now growing on my house and getting near the gutters at the top). He said he would cut it back and get it off my side. It was a pleasant enough chat.

He still hasn't done it and it's satrting to bug me. I don't want the ivy growing up through the gutters and up on to the roof (it can lift tiles) or near my bedroom window (beasties!)

The previous owner was always good at cutting it back and maintaining it and he had a lovely back garden. Incidentally they have let the grass at the back grow to almost 2 feet high as well <_<<_<

Wait until he goes out one night. Then go round to his house and take a fucking axe to the base of the ivy plant. That should sort out the dillemma.

Even totally dousing it in weedkiller will be enough to kill it.

He need never know. Just blame it on cat piss.

Wait until he goes out one night. Then go round to his house and take a fucking axe to the base of the ivy plant. That should sort out the dillemma.

Even totally dousing it in weedkiller will be enough to kill it.

He need never know. Just blame it on cat piss.

Its not as easy as that as it roots everywhere. You really need to rip it off all together. Its a cursed pant that can cause a lot of damage and allow water penetration into the house walls causing damp.

My tatties are flowering and my peapods are growing great. Carrots are almost ready too.

Its not as easy as that as it roots everywhere. You really need to rip it off all together. Its a cursed pant that can cause a lot of damage and allow water penetration into the house walls causing damp.

My tatties are flowering and my peapods are growing great. Carrots are almost ready too.

Yeah but take out the main root. Spray glyphosphate onto the bits in your garden. That will kill it.

My wifes parents had loads of ivy round their house but it never seemed to cause any bother. As long as you keep it out the guttering by cutting it all back. Just treat it like a hedge unless you really hate it. In which case kill it.

Yeah but take out the main root. Spray glyphosphate onto the bits in your garden. That will kill it.

My wifes parents had loads of ivy round their house but it never seemed to cause any bother. As long as you keep it out the guttering by cutting it all back. Just treat it like a hedge unless you really hate it. In which case kill it.

Ivy's really quite hardy. I still managed to kill mine! :(

I really need to get back out there and check how all my produce is doing. It keeps pouring down though and I'm reluctant to go out in the pouring rain to check everything. Baby carrots should be ready very soon though, I reckon. :D

Aye. Keep a cow in your garden and you can call it the Derry.

:lol: Don't you be spilling all that over into *our* thread! Take it away and get it in your thread you want pinned. :P

I don't hate the ivy but I don't want it climbing on the front of MY house. It's at the very top of the house now and creeping on to the gutters.

They obviously aren't the garden types (the way they've let the front and back gardens go over the past 2 months proves this) and possibly don't know the damage it can do. I did try to warn them it can lift tiles and wrap around the guttering.

I did think of weedkiller actually :(:ph34r:

I don't hate the ivy but I don't want it climbing on the front of MY house. It's at the very top of the house now and creeping on to the gutters.

If anything is hanging over your house or garden you are allowed to cut it back yourself.You don't need permission for that.

The folk over the back from us have 3 huge Sycamores that block out most of the light to our garden and refuse to cut them back.Once i get a loan of a ladder i'll be cutting most of the trees back myself.

How do you know when the carrots are ready?

"When the foliage begins to wilt and shrivel up, the carrots have reached maturity. Use a fork to get the roots up, driving it in a few inches to one side of the row, using it as lever to loosen the roots' grip on the soil. The carrots can then be removed by hand. If the weather is particularly dry, water the previous evening to avoid damage to the carrots."