Garden Options

HGG

I've moved my seedlings from the garage into hanging baskets last night (the herbs - sage, chives, coriander) and rocket.

I've brought on onions from seed and they will be ready to go in my raised bed shortly. I am waiting on leeks, spring onions and cucumber coming on as well.

I like gardening B) :)

The brocolli started well, but then started flowering, then died. So don't really know what happened! :lol:

Nothing to do with any of these brocolli diseases then?

I've planted tomatoes
I've moved my seedlings from the garage into hanging baskets last night (the herbs - sage, chives, coriander) and rocket.

I like gardening B) :)

Me too! :D I tend to go in fits and starts with it but when I remember about it and start doing things in the garden I always remember how much I enjoy it.

I believe tomato plants can be grown in hanging baskets. Anyone done it or know what needs to be done with them? So far my tomato seedlings are only an inch tall so I have time to work out what I'll be doing with them!

Best not have rhubarb around young kise. The leaves are poisonous. rhubarb info

My brocolli last year was a disaster. Got a healthy crop of peas,carrots,tatties,onions,leeks and strawberries so far. Growing your own makes it taste 10 times better. Had to net up to keep the birds off the stuff. wee buggars :angry: Watch out for slugs particularly with seedlings.

My brocolli last year was a disaster. Got a healthy crop of peas,carrots,tatties,onions,leeks and strawberries so far. Growing your own makes it taste 10 times better. Had to net up to keep the birds off the stuff. wee buggars :angry: Watch out for slugs particularly with seedlings.

http://www.yourlocalfarm.co.uk/

in case you cant get enough. Much better than the perfect 'looking' veg you get from supermarkets.

Takes much better, its fresher and its delivered straight to your door.

Ive been using them for about a year now and its fantastic :)

I believe tomato plants can be grown in hanging baskets. Anyone done it or know what needs to be done with them? So far my tomato seedlings are only an inch tall so I have time to work out what I'll be doing with them!

My tomato plants died :( they were going great guns then they got to about 3 inches tall, and just withered away. <_<

Might try rhubarb, when do you seed it????

I'm hoping I won't do too bad for slugs etc with having everything in pots. I'll be keeping a close watch on my strawberries but they'd be difficult to net where they are - I will if it becomes necessary, assuming it's not just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted by then! :unsure:

As if HGGland wasn't exciting enough with all these seedlings appearing, my seed potatoes just arrived about an hour ago! I've rubbed off the white chits and they're now sat in an egg box in my kitchen awaiting the growth of some nice new green ones :D. While they do that it'll give me chance to figure out what size and type of pot to grow them in. I feel more trips to B&Q and garden centres coming on after school this week. The kids are going to be so chuffed. Not only that, but we got sent onions free to plant with the potatoes so that's added to my crop unexpectedly! :thumsup2

As has just been pointed out to me by Mr HGG, I have a rather small garden - not a farm! I'm going to have to slow down a bit on this. :lol:

See for your potatoes don't worry about pots just buy a grow bag and use that to plant them. I have done my potatoes this way for a couple of years now and it has been a excellent way to grow them.

I do potatoes in the ground - much easier, surely?! Never heard of growing tomatoes in a hanging basket. My mum and dad grew their tomatoes in the conservatory last year, seemed to work quite well.

HGG - looking at that link, I didn't harvest the brocolli before it flowered, that's all.

I do potatoes in the ground - much easier, surely?! Never heard of growing tomatoes in a hanging basket. My mum and dad grew their tomatoes in the conservatory last year, seemed to work quite well.

HGG - looking at that link, I didn't harvest the brocolli before it flowered, that's all.

Potatoes aren't supposed to be grown in the same ground for more than a year or two (or even where certain other produce were the year before) - do you rotate them with other things?

I can't do anything at all in the ground here without a massive upheaval to my "garden". There is no grass, no soil - well, unless you count the stuff way down under the concrete! There's decking from the house to just past the end of my conservatory and then it's concrete all the way to the back gate, with a garage on a concrete hardstanding thrown in for good measure. Not so many things growing out there, hence all the pots!

I've seen the grow bags for potatoes but really want everything I'm growing in tubs - just my personal preference. Good idea to do the tomatoes in the conservatory though - mine is used as the children's playroom so if I can find a way of getting the plants out of the children's reach I might give that a go.

Shame about the brocolli. No way of knowing whether it was just timing or whether something had got to it while it was growing I guess?

Might try rhubarb, when do you seed it????

From the site I linked to earlier in this thread:-

"Rhubarb can be grown either from seed or as plants purchased from your garden centre. The problem with rhubarb grown from seed is that it takes a year longer to produce stalks and even then, the plants are not guaranteed to be true to type - it's a gamble which takes three years before you know if you have succeeded or failed. For this reason, GardenAction do not recommend the 'seed' route.

Rhubarb plants are available all year round at some garden centres, although by far the best time to plant rhubarb is late autumn to early winter - December is a good month."

I planted my rhubarb in March last year and I've had a fantastic crop from it already this year. It'll be ready for picking again soon! I bought a rhubarb plant for about £1 from Asda and it's been wonderful.

HGG - yeah, this is only the second year I've been in this house, so I'll keep the potatoes in the same place this year, but rotate them next year. The good thing about growing potatoes is that it makes your soil really good.

Home grown really is the dog's nads. :D

http://www.yourlocalfarm.co.uk/

in case you cant get enough. Much better than the perfect 'looking' veg you get from supermarkets.

Takes much better, its fresher and its delivered straight to your door.

Ive been using them for about a year now and its fantastic :)

:lol: I used to play on that farm when i was a wee cabbage ;) It was a shithole. Ive heard its improved no end and good luck to them. I always go to as many farmers markets during the year. You get much better tasting stuff from them.

I have potatoes in again this year. Onions, garlic, tomatoes, cucumber, peanuts, and two habanero chilli plants that I hope to make some tremendous chilli sauce out of.

I kept the seeds from some of last years chilli plants and planted them out. I had a few varieties last year and apparently they cross fertilise really easily so I will have a new variety probably. I hope they are HOT.

Home grown really is the dog's nads. :D

Only if you're unaware of the price of veg in your local supermarket.

A simple comparison of the costs of buying veg and the total costs and effort of growing it show that it's just something you do for the sake of it. Why anyone would engage in such a dull, backbreaking pastime is beyond me. Not to mention that with the various trips to the garden centre for such small returns, a home grown carrot probably has a bigger carbon footprint pound for pound than a jumbo jet. Forget the hype and the shallow quest for a "sense of achievement", growing your own veg belongs in an era no further back than when we were fighting Nazi Germany.

A simple comparison of the costs of buying veg and the total costs and effort of growing it show that it's just something you do for the sake of it. Why anyone would engage in such a dull, backbreaking pastime is beyond me. Not to mention that with the various trips to the garden centre for such small returns, a home grown carrot probably has a bigger carbon footprint pound for pound than a jumbo jet. Forget the hype and the shallow quest for a "sense of achievement", growing your own veg belongs in an era no further back than when we were fighting Nazi Germany.

You don't have a garden :lol:

You're a right contrary sod, you. If she said growing your own was shit, you'd have argued for it! :P

I'm just jealous because I actually don't have a garden, or even anywhere to stick a window box. :(

I enjoy gardening and the crop tastes a hundred times better than the mass-produced stuff you buy in supermarkets in my opinion.

I'm just jealous because I actually don't have a garden, or even anywhere to stick a window box. :(

You could grow stuff on your window sills. Chillies, tomatoes. Anything really. Maybe not potatoes though.

Or turnips.