Garden Options

HGG

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just moved house and I am planning to get a garden office out the back. I don't have the ability or the time to do it myself, has anyone on here had it done by one of these companies who basically do it all for you?

Yep.

Well, my wife had one put up last year from Crane Garden Buildings as part of our "spend a fucking huge amount on the garden" project.

Cost a bomb, but it is finished really well, has good insulation, electricity and a 300meg LAN connection so she works from there as well.

Builders told us they could do it cheaper (and I have no doubt they could), but when push came to shove, they didnt have either the time or the right materials - so we went for this one, prefabricated in England, and shipped up / installed by a couple of their guys.

Ultimately it is an extravagance, but worth it..........if you get what I mean?

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just moved house and I am planning to get a garden office out the back. I don't have the ability or the time to do it myself, has anyone on here had it done by one of these companies who basically do it all for you?

Paterson’s of South Alloa. Shite web presence, 2 month lead time, don’t want your business because they’re too busy but there’s a reason they’re busy.

My shed came from them 20+ years ago, been painted twice and it’s still better than the shite you get at B&Q. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Cheers. There are loads and loads of companies out there and I'm of the same mindset as you that I just want it to be good and to not have to deal with various different people. Will have a look at Crane Garden Buildings.

Their site is good in that you can spec out a building / finish (even down to colour choice). It works well (until you get the "eeek" moment when you see the cost !).

One thing we were disappointed with was the supplied heater with the electrical pack, not powerful enough imo. The rest was good, loads of sockets etc. I removed the heater and replaced it with another I had kicking about.

• 2 months later...

Just a wee shed update. I have all the glass in. I made a mistake with the measurements so i had to swap out a wooden post for 2 steel lengths of pallet racking upright that i bolted back to back to make a H shape and it held the glass nicely.

Another bullet dodged.

My neighbour finished the torch on felt on the roof and its dried out nicely inside.

20220524_190754.thumb.jpg.f4afb89004660304b72070380f211d7c.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Just a wee shed update.

Have to say that looks fantastic. You've got me thinking what I can do in my back garden, maybe an overflow bunkhouse for family gatherings...

Edited by welshbairn

• 1 month later...

Anybody got an outdoor kitchen and can share some ideas as to how you got it all to come together please?

New house, garden getting done, got a contractor doing 99% of it. I want an 'outdoor kitchen' on the end of a patio but my man seems bemused by what I want. Searching the internet doesn't throw up anything remotely sensible.

The basic premise of what I think I want is an island sitting on 4 or 6 brick/blockwork piers, a couple of cut down concrete slabs to act as shelves within and I might go mad and try and source an offcut piece of  marble or similar for a worktop. A integrated (charcoal, obvs) barbeque also a neccessity. Overall dimensions I'm thinking something like 900mm(H)x2400(W)x600(D).

Any helpful steers gratefully received; at the moment I seem to be floudering somewhat...

• 3 months later...

Well it took me a year but my shed is finally finished apart from a bit of skirting and finishing touches.

Having a few round tonight for poker and beer. 

It was really windy and rainy the other day and not a creak out of it or a spot of water.

Only thing I'm worried about is snow lying on the roof collapsing it. 

IMG-20221026-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221026-WA0001.jpg

20220924_221900.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Well it took me a year but my shed is finally finished apart from a bit of skirting and finishing touches.

It was really windy and rainy the other day and not a creak out of it or a spot of water.

IMG-20221026-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221026-WA0001.jpg

20220924_221900.jpg

That's bigger than my house!

On 07/07/2022 at 20:24, alta-pete said:

Anybody got an outdoor kitchen and can share some ideas as to how you got it all to come together please?

New house, garden getting done, got a contractor doing 99% of it. I want an 'outdoor kitchen' on the end of a patio but my man seems bemused by what I want. Searching the internet doesn't throw up anything remotely sensible.

The basic premise of what I think I want is an island sitting on 4 or 6 brick/blockwork piers, a couple of cut down concrete slabs to act as shelves within and I might go mad and try and source an offcut piece of  marble or similar for a worktop. A integrated (charcoal, obvs) barbeque also a neccessity. Overall dimensions I'm thinking something like 900mm(H)x2400(W)x600(D).

Any helpful steers gratefully received; at the moment I seem to be floudering somewhat...

@Inanimate Carbon Rod

1 hour ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

That's bigger than my house!

Nearly 40 Square metres.

I didn't realise the size of it until the wall frames went up then it got a bit out of hand.

Had a couple of disasters like the original steel roof blowing off last new year and not having left enough space for one of the windows.

Bumblebees also moved into a pile of insulation off-cuts that I was saving.

4 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

@Nkomo-A-Gogo - looks very impressive although agree about the span of the roof. But then is Dublin particularly prone to heavy snow?

The roof span is 5 metres and I've used 9x2 beams. It's more the wall frames I'm worried about as they are doing a LOT of work.  Definitely won't be hanging out in it if snow is forecast.

3 times in 20 years there has been snow here that I'd be worried about causing problems so it does happen.

The roof is torch on felt so I don't know if salt affects that or not.

Edited by Nkomo-A-Gogo

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

The boys built it in breeze block and finished with the same porcelain tiles used on the patios. Think I should paint the inner faces but no rush…

263E26ED-8BA3-4013-A2C1-3BC06CE49DAC.jpeg

Oh i really like that, that looks superb! Get some chillies or herbs growing in that planter! That is superb! A wee Ooni would look good on that!