Garden Options

HGG

2 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Im building a garden house.

I am just going to wing it with no drawings.

The size is 7.5 metres by 5 metres so its pretty big. 

As usual im going to try to build it for as little money as possible. I scavenge as much as i can from places and ill try to get discounts from people i deliver to.

My target is to have it liveable by the start of April.I think if im posting photos of it here it will make me get the finger out. 

Id appreciate any tips if anyone has any.

I have 15 posts for the base made of weed proof membrane, then pebbles and then slabs up to whatever height. Then the wooden frame.

20211013_171858.jpg

20211013_173222.jpg

I have no advice to offer, but projects like this fascinate me, so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Medium term ambition is to have a garden big enough to attempt something similar myself.

9 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

As usual im going to try to build it for as little money as possible. I scavenge as much as i can from places and ill try to get discounts from people i deliver to.

My target is to have it liveable by the start of April.I think if im posting photos of it here it will make me get the finger out. 

I have 15 posts for the base made of weed proof membrane, then pebbles and then slabs up to whatever height. Then the wooden frame.

20211013_171858.jpg

20211013_173222.jpg

Literally building one in my garden right now (no not at 4am but you know what I mean!). I used pallets all screwed together with 200mm coach screws.

Once I had my ground level it was like lego, slotting pallets together meant it went down onto the blocks in about half an hour and as they're all screwed together it's solid as f**k. I've also got some chip board flooring to put down and I can batter nice flooring down on top.

The frame is (mostly) out of pallets too, its 5m x 2.4m and I just got a hand off a pal to make the roof trusses (with a 200mm overhang). I used 2x6" boards for these and have one side about 75mm higher for a run off. Using 15mm OSB for the roof and lining the inside with 9mm OSB to hide the manky pallets. Im not bothering to insulate as im sticking a wood burner in it, leaving the cavity between the pallets to run electrical cables in and it'll all be hidden.

Don't skimp on the roofing felt either if possible - I think i was about £80 for two rolls of heavy duty 36kg stuff. Works out at 20m².

The higher side is basically 4 hardwood french doors to let light in, the 2 central ones being actual doors. All built with treated CLS timber and screwed together basically.

Maybe overkill but id run DPC damp proofing over the slabs and grass just to help make a better moisture barrier too if you can get your hands on any - the weed fabric is permeable.  

Also, watch the height for planning permission. The rule is it any part of the building thats within a meter of a boundary can't be higher than 2.5m. If its further than a meter then I think you're good up to 3m for the eves or something and 4m in total. Mine is going to work out about 2.5m I think. 

I am also working without a plan, plans are overrated!

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Literally building one in my garden right now (no not at 4am but you know what I mean!). I used pallets all screwed together with 200mm coach screws.

Once I had my ground level it was like lego, slotting pallets together meant it went down onto the blocks in about half an hour and as they're all screwed together it's solid as f**k. I've also got some chip board flooring to put down and I can batter nice flooring down on top.

The frame is (mostly) out of pallets too, its 5m x 2.4m and I just got a hand off a pal to make the roof trusses (with a 200mm overhang). I used 2x6" boards for these and have one side about 75mm higher for a run off. Using 15mm OSB for the roof and lining the inside with 9mm OSB to hide the manky pallets. Im not bothering to insulate as im sticking a wood burner in it, leaving the cavity between the pallets to run electrical cables in and it'll all be hidden.

Don't skimp on the roofing felt either if possible - I think i was about £80 for two rolls of heavy duty 36kg stuff. Works out at 20m².

The higher side is basically 4 hardwood french doors to let light in, the 2 central ones being actual doors. All built with treated CLS timber and screwed together basically.

Maybe overkill but id run DPC damp proofing over the slabs and grass just to help make a better moisture barrier too if you can get your hands on any - the weed fabric is permeable.  

Also, watch the height for planning permission. The rule is it any part of the building thats within a meter of a boundary can't be higher than 2.5m. If its further than a meter then I think you're good up to 3m for the eves or something and 4m in total. Mine is going to work out about 2.5m I think. 

About the moisture coming up from the ground. I think i will use some kind of damp proof course.

Shipping containers come into my workplace and they use these mdf rectangles to rest machines on. I have saved up 300 of these to use on top of the joists to be a flat surface for the floor.Now i know they soak up water like weetabix and i was shot down last night for saying im going to use them but i cant see enough moisture coming up through pebbles,3 or 4 slabs, 6 inch joists to affect these boards. 

300 boards with 4 woodscrews each will be a necessary expense though.

31P7LCp0BoL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Edited by Nkomo-A-Gogo

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

About the moisture coming up from the ground. I think i will use some kind of damp proof course.

Shipping containers come into my workplace and they use these mdf rectangles to rest machines on. I have saved up 300 of these to use on top of the joists to be a flat surface for the floor.Now i know they soak up water like weetabix and i was shot down last night for saying im going to use them but i cant see enough moisture coming up through pebbles,3 or 4 slabs, 6 inch joists to affect these boards. 

300 boards with 4 woodscrews each will be a necessary expense though.

31P7LCp0BoL._AC_SY580_.jpg

You could nail some more damp proofing to the top of the joists too so when you fix the mdf boards down theres an extra barrier too. Bit overkill but rather that than having to lift the floor again.

On 16/10/2021 at 03:58, mishtergrolsch said:

I might just fork out for a proper roofer as i hate working with felt. Im going to insulate this which will be another cost but i have an old wood burner that i can use in it.

Doesnt look like much progress but all the slabs are level now. I thought it would be awful but it wasnt to bad and only took a couple of hours. 

Next is the damp proof membrane then joists.

20211017_124046.jpg

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I might just fork out for a proper roofer as i hate working with felt. Im going to insulate this which will be another cost but i have an old wood burner that i can use in it.

Doesnt look like much progress but all the slabs are level now. I thought it would be awful but it wasnt to bad and only took a couple of hours. 

20211017_124046.jpg

If you're insulating it id use a vapour barrier as it can help with mould and damp - especially if you're using rockwool.

Thats why I'm not bothering insulating mine - ill stick the fire on 10 mins before the Mrs comes out and warm it up and save a couple hundred quid!🤣

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2021 at 13:10, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20211017_124046.jpg

Time for an update and the joists i bought were 4x2 inch so those spans between slabs would have way to long.

So i tripled my slab stacks...

I got a lot of work done this morning.

Next is insulation inbetween joists and ply on.

I didnt go with the mdf rectangles in the end because everyone said they would swell in time.

20211101_162522.thumb.jpg.befb12ec060c58f0f6be755eca54a613.jpg

20211106_135858.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went for 18mm tongue and groove floor and i think it will look good varnished. I might give it a really light burning to bring out the grain more. 

The floor pieces went together easily but i didnt want to get muddy footprints on it so i stayed on my knees the whole time which was painful. 

Next is wall frames.

20211123_161232.jpg

20211123_192500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update and all the wall frames are up and a few of the roof joists are on. 

The whole thing is a bit shoogly so im hoping the weatherboard sheeting on the outside and the panelling inside will stop it from moving so much.

I had to stop three times to charge my drill battery so that was a pain.

I asked a few of my mates for a hand but nobody would so feck them. Im just going to do it all myself.

20211212_154100.jpg

On 15/10/2021 at 18:07, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20211013_171858.jpg

20211013_173222.jpg

This looks great. Is it permitted development at that size?

I’ve got planning permission for this in my garden. Awaiting a structural package for a building warrant. As part of it there are solar panels and going to change the heating for the house to Air Source. 

The upstairs is to be my office/mancave. I cannot wait. I am desperate to have it built by September so I can watch the new Tolkien Amazon series in it, but I’m a bit worried about what material costs are like just now. 

BB86A410-07F4-4AB7-BC2D-208DAE39485E.png

E1744A4A-8215-41FC-813C-E70858F50F01.png

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^^ That's nice of Stagecoach to put a bus stop in your garden.

What the hell is that monstrosity going up in your neighbour's gaff? No way is that PD.

Its part of my motivation to build my outdoor kitchen, he works in construction so was building a summer house. He doesnt have planning so hes going to take it down. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its part of my motivation to build my outdoor kitchen, he works in construction so was building a summer house. He doesnt have planning so hes going to take it down. 

You still on speaking terms with him after you Lee Wallaced him to the Planners ? !!!!!