Garden Options

HGG

5 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Morning. 

I'm putting in quite a big shed. The ground it's going on is full of clay underneath so I was just going to whack the ground level and use a dry sand and cement mix (also whacked when screeded) to lay the slabs on. 

Anyone done anything similar or would offer contrary advice? 

That should do the trick lovely. 

10 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Thought about using type 1 but read that clay filled ground probably won't need it. 

Does that seem right enough? 

Yeah. I’d use type 1 if it was soil you were going into but should be if it’s clay it should be solid enough. Type 1 is probably excessive for a garden shed even in poor ground IMO but I’m a bit of a cowboy. 

Morning. 
I'm putting in quite a big shed. The ground it's going on is full of clay underneath so I was just going to whack the ground level and use a dry sand and cement mix (also whacked when screeded) to lay the slabs on. 
Funnily enough I did this last week. I just fired down some sharp sand and some ballast and that's done the trick.

4 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
8 hours ago, Ebanda said:
Morning. 

Funnily enough I did this last week. I just fired down some sharp sand and some ballast and that's done the trick.

Did you mix in some cement? 

Solid enough, aye? 

Solid enough, aye? 
Nah. It depends what size of slabs you're laying I suppose, but I was putting down 600mm x 600mm and they were heavy enough that once they're down I'm confident they won't move. Especially with the weight of the shed on top as well.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
46 minutes ago, Ebanda said:
Solid enough, aye? 

Nah. It depends what size of slabs you're laying I suppose, but I was putting down 600mm x 600mm and they were heavy enough that once they're down I'm confident they won't move. Especially with the weight of the shed on top as well.

I call it a shed but it's a 21ftx15ft summer house. 

The only reason I'm a bit weary is that I'm afraid that even a slight bit of movement will crack the windows or something like that. 

9 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Morning. 

Should be okay. Depends on what is going in shed, weight wise.  Would put in visqueen sheet below shed  floor level.

Belts and braces, would be to put in timber edge 4-6 inch, same m2 as shed and infill with concrete and screed level for shed base.

28 minutes ago, Pato said:

Assuming it's a kit would it be expensive to swap the glass for polycarbonate?

Not sure. My father in law is a glazer so I'll ask him about that. 

17 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Should be okay. Depends on what is going in shed, weight wise.  Would put in visqueen sheet below shed  floor level.

Belts and braces, would be to put in timber edge 4-6 inch, same m2 as shed and infill with concrete and screed level for shed base.

Turning it into a bar. Pool table, dart board, that kind of carry on. 

Most of the time it'll be emptier than my old 8x6. It's when we have a wheen of folk around that it'll get tested. 

Just now, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Most of the time it'll be emptier than my old 8x6. It's when we have a wheen of folk around that it'll get tested. 

Personally I would go for concrete base., but base you mentioned should be adequate, if its well compacted.

Definitely put in damproof membrane at base, however you tend to go. if you don't damp will eat it to bits over the years.

15 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If it’s on a cement:sand mix on 600mm slabs it will be fine. It’s not the Burj Khalkha. It’s a small lightweight timber summer house.

Get it fucking built and let us see it.

It's going up in June. I'll post as it progresses. 

Thank you for the advice, all. 👍🏻

20 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

You need to have friends to invite round in the first place... 

Anyone grow cucumbers ? I have grown them for years in my porch. Occasionally I lose an odd one early on to neck / root rot but this year out of my original sowing only 1 has survived. Not over or under watering so I'm assuming it's been down to the unseasonably cold weather (only heated by sun) especially overnight. I've sowed a new batch and decided to scrub the pots with jeys fluid before I pot on this next batch. Any experience would be appreciated ?

Having a c**t of a time keeping weeds out of my beds. Incredible how fast they grow.

Particularly loads of tiny wee leaved ones which are too small to properly pick out unless I want to break my back over it.

Can you just dig these over with a trowel or will they just re establish themselves if left even with the root disturbed?

Sounds like chickweed. I just hoe them in when they are tiny. If you ignore it and the plant seeds you will get several hundred seeds produced for next year.
So interrupt them when they grow then is the right thing to do?