Garden Options

HGG

Perthshire timber are decent as well, they're up at Dunkeld. I used them for my sleepers.

On that subject, long term followers of the thread will know I totally remodelled my garden 2 years ago. I'm not considering starting it again in anticipation of putting an extension on the house in a couple of years. Why do I do it to myself? 😂

Very nice. That's the type of garden furniture that my wife fancies - mind me asking where you got it? I think Aldi had something similar but it sold out in no time.
The chaise longue stuff was Aldi but bought from a profiteer on gumtree. No big deal as pretty good. The other stuff I also collected brand new from lets say less than retail sources.
The irony is we needed the huge Rattan storage chest you can see to store all the cushions.
That came from a German supplier on ebay. I also have 2 of these loungers in pictures below, which are magnificent and sway. Also a huge ice box all ebay.
The cube table and chairs I have had for years and was probably groupon in the day when rattan was less common. 20210425_124704.thumb.jpeg.4469554d5abad97b9c4eda28be4aae52.jpeg20210425_124727.thumb.jpeg.f361b79db2c0e07131b0bcf928863e85.jpeg

Wanting to dig out a wee bit of the grass in our front garden and replace with pebbles/chips. 

Would I be right in thinking that all I would need to do is dig out the grass, flatten/rake the soil, add a wee border, lay down a membrane and fire the chips on top of that?

Would only be a small section of the grass at the front of the house, but our gas meter and a wee manhole are there at the moment and it looks a bit shite with grass round it.

1 hour ago, deej said:

Wanting to dig out a wee bit of the grass in our front garden and replace with pebbles/chips. 

Would I be right in thinking that all I would need to do is dig out the grass, flatten/rake the soil, add a wee border, lay down a membrane and fire the chips on top of that?

Would only be a small section of the grass at the front of the house, but our gas meter and a wee manhole are there at the moment and it looks a bit shite with grass round it.

That's what I would, and have done before.

As long as there's a bit of teram (sp?) Down once it's been dug, and the stones on top, you shouldn't have a problem with weeds.

30 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's what I would, and have done before.

As long as there's a bit of teram (sp?) Down once it's been dug, and the stones on top, you shouldn't have a problem with weeds.

Nice one, cheers. I'm utterly clueless at gardening, but wanting to at least pretend I've got an idea before I start even small jobs

Got a shed coming next week - just a standard 8ft x 6ft number. I never bothered including installation as the company I got the shed from were asking a fortune.

Anyone got any ideas how doable it would be to build myself or am I as well finding someone who knows what they're doing?

Should be dead easy, have you got a base down?
Yep base is down - that was last weekends task - so just a case of getting the shed built.

I've had a quick look online and it seems fairly simple but I have previous for making an arse of simple DIY jobs.

6 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I managed to build by 8x6 panel shed by myself so not impossible. Once you get the first two panels joined together its a piece of piss.

Lifting the roof panels on was a bit of a challenge but its still standing. 

xevno8w.gif?w=293

Don't bother with the membrane, all you end up with is grass, weeds etc growing on top of the membrane. Extra pebbles should keep weeds at bay.

This was advice given to me and at last place membrane did exactly as above.

On 01/03/2021 at 16:17, Hedgecutter said:

Just noticed that for yet another year, much of my 'lawn' closest to the house is yet again nothing but moss. 

It's a north facing garden partially in the shadow of the house so it's not a massive surprise, but the annual deep scarification (leaving a bare garden to be reseeded) is my least favourite job of the year, and one that's beyond tedious.  Any suggestions how to keep the moss away in the future (preferably one that doesn't involve knocking the house down)?

No Rake Mosskiller. Might need 2 treatments, if heavy moss.

You can get grass seed for shaded areas.

Aerate the lawn throughout the year.

Improve drainage.

Artificial lawn?

Morning. 

I'm putting in quite a big shed. The ground it's going on is full of clay underneath so I was just going to whack the ground level and use a dry sand and cement mix (also whacked when screeded) to lay the slabs on. 

Anyone done anything similar or would offer contrary advice?