Garden Options

HGG

Glad to be back out working in the gardens at weekends again!

That weekend there, I fitted all the wood that would "map out" my wee planting bit at the bottom level of my back garden.

The big square at the bottom left will be the base for my greenhouse (type 1, whacker, sand and 9 2x2 slabs), the rectangle joined onto that will be a raised bed, another bed just across from it and the path will be all Bark, I only had 2 bags of bark so fired that down to see roughly what it would look like. 

The remaining wee square up the back that the greenhouse shelves are sitting in, my wee lassie had a cracking idea.... 2 wee fruit trees in there, layer of thin weed control fabric, nice stones over the top of it and a wee concrete staffy statue as a wee memorial to her dog she had for 11 years! Great idea!

Ran out of paint aswell but replenished last night so will be finishing fence this weekend!

PXL_20210322_174652836.jpg

Took the plunge and scarified my lawn at weekend. This last winter seems to have been perfect for moss and there was barely any grass left. 

Managed to fill an entire wheely bin with moss and it now looks a bit of a state but I've fed it too and it should allow far better growth this summer......i hope. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pato said:

What's a good way to speed up a tree's growth?

I've got a willow tree which I've cleared away any weeds under the drip line and I'd like it to grow a fair bit in order to block off a thin patch in my neighbour's fence. Can I just fire fertiliser into the soil every so often to make sure it's always well fed?

Just go to sleep for 10 years.

3 hours ago, Pato said:

What's a good way to speed up a tree's growth?

I've got a willow tree which I've cleared away any weeds under the drip line and I'd like it to grow a fair bit in order to block off a thin patch in my neighbour's fence. Can I just fire fertiliser into the soil every so often to make sure it's always well fed?

Get some manure.

Similar to Mixu there, I have been wondering about getting some nutrients into my beds. They are just boxed in topsoil on top of what used to be grass/weeds and general shite, so I assume not the most fertile. Was thinking about just getting chicken manure pellets and raking then in when I go to plant stuff this spring. And maybe a few bags of compost sort of raked in too. I am hopijng this tactic can save a fairly dead looking lavender tree 😔

Yeah I doubt you can go too much over the top on manure and it will bring some life back to the plants for sure.

im going to dobbies tomorow for some compost and manure, going to get a couple of raised beds for my front patch and maybe a rhododendron for my back garden.

I also have a dahlia in my back garden which has been reduced just to it’s bulb , some people say it’s fine and will have survived the winter and other people say it’s probably dead and to get a new one. I’ll find out within the next 6 weeks anyway but needless to say it will be incredibly exciting if it shoots up.

Managed to get a base made for my new greenhouse, yesterday. I'm no groundwork but it's pretty level and suits for exactly what I need! Opened the greenhouse boxes, built the door and window that opens and decided it was best to have a full day at it with another adult, so father in law is coming to give me a hand to build today.

I think once that's up and secured, and I've brought the ton of topsoil from my front garden, round the back and dumped it into the beds, apart from the back path which I still need bark for, we'll be looking good!!

Greenhouse built yesterday. Actually didn't take too long, parts all numbered well and instructions clear so managed to get that fixed down to the base I made. Still plenty to do but it will let me start some seeds this month.

A lot of the other work is shovelling and barrowing, soil for my beds and bark for my path!

PXL_20210410_164539674.jpg

Just now, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Greenhouse built yesterday. Actually didn't take too long, parts all numbered well and instructions clear so managed to get that fixed down to the base I made. Still plenty to do but it will let me start some seeds this month.

A lot of the other work is shovelling and barrowing, soil for my beds and bark for my path!

PXL_20210410_164539674.jpg

That flag above the greenhouse is the neighbours btw,  the clown was out trimming that tree to the right of it so he could bring his flag to half mast for ole Phillipe 🙄

On 11/04/2021 at 06:28, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That flag above the greenhouse is the neighbours btw,  the clown was out trimming that tree to the right of it so he could bring his flag to half mast for ole Phillipe 🙄

It's also upside down best check he's okay.

I've got a shed coming in a few weeks and will be looking to put down a base for it. I know how many slabs I need but I've no idea how much sharp sand to order as a base. Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

If it helps, the base I'm putting down is for an 8ft x 6ft shed.

21 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've got a shed coming in a few weeks and will be looking to put down a base for it. I know how many slabs I need but I've no idea how much sharp sand to order as a base. Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

I'd be getting a bulk bag, personally. Should be there or thereabouts.

47 minutes ago, Pato said:

That's not very encouraging :(

I have a couple of rowans that are still quite small so I could maybe put one of those in its place if it doesn't raise its game in the next couple of years.

Rowan's are said to keep evil spirits away.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Ok, heres the way I roughly calculate.

1 ton will raise 25m² by an inch/25mm. I usually would do 40/ 50mm of sand under slabs.

So 1 ton at 50mm deep, youd have enough for 12.5m². You have about 5m² to cover so you'd have at least half a ton left over.

Unless you want to dig down 100mm to use up the sand and dispose of the soil some other way or you have a lawn to top dress, a sand pit to top up or live near a beach id go with individual bags. Shouldn't work out too expensive but you'll have less waste.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Anyone any idea of how much ~40ft of say 4ft high fencing would cost to buy. Not fitting it in, just the raw materials.

Everyone I ask gives me wildly different prices.

13 hours ago, Pato said:

That's not very encouraging :(

I have a couple of rowans that are still quite small so I could maybe put one of those in its place if it doesn't raise its game in the next couple of years.

Dont get me wrong, it attracted the birds to the point the cat used to sleep on top of it. But it never really grew. Never produced any blossoms. All round a bit disappointing.

13 hours ago, RH33 said:

Rowan's are said to keep evil spirits away.

We've a Rowan growing in the bit next to our house which squirrels use to get on to our roof.  I can only presume squirrels are not the work of the devil. 

On 12/04/2021 at 21:56, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone any idea of how much ~40ft of say 4ft high fencing would cost to buy. Not fitting it in, just the raw materials.

Everyone I ask gives me wildly different prices.

Try locating the closest saw mill and you'll find you save hundreds if they deal with the public, which most do.

I use James Carr sawmill a bit, out in Inchture if you are based in the Dundee / Perthshire area. Really good prices. 

Orchard timber are also really good, based up in Forfar. Use them a fair bit too.