Garden Options

HGG

4 minutes ago, PWL said:

@spud131 

We did the similar new build thing a few years ago. Rather than going through the builders (Persimmon) or a local landscaper, we got the boys on the site to do it for cash. I forget exact numbers but if persimmon were wanting £5k, the boys did it for £1,800. It was site foreman we sorted it all through. Clearly backhanders etc all over the place as it was exact same slabs etc but was done in a couple of days at the weekend. 

As @mishtergrolsch says, you need to watch as site tend to be 2 inches soil on top of rubble but our guys did a decent drain for us as well. A lot of our neighbours have gone astro but I'm a lawn purist and the very thought disgusts me. Takes a lot of work to maintain though but I enjoy it. 

2021-02-18_03-20-26.thumb.jpg.baab4a2f23459b34515154278543bb0c.jpg

And this was during the summer. 5 years later.

IMG_20200526_075247.thumb.jpg.b64955a8500f6fc05a0d04ad7c1d438d.jpg

Looks like a bowling lawn! How do you keep it so good? 

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Looks like a bowling lawn! How do you keep it so good? 

Aside from being a sad b*****d.....?

Lots of forking (matron!), Aftercut feed 2 or 3 times a summer. Plus cutting twice a week during growing season.  

8 minutes ago, PWL said:

Aside from being a sad b*****d.....?

Lots of forking (matron!), Aftercut feed 2 or 3 times a summer. Plus cutting twice a week during growing season.  

Looks excellent, I'm going to spend the summer in the garden the last owners weren't that keen, first job is to clean, repair and paint the decking, then try and dig out some of the small stumps and build a path along the left had fence and finally decide on the fate of the shed.

IMG_20210218_155131__01.jpg

1 hour ago, PWL said:

@spud131 

We did the similar new build thing a few years ago. Rather than going through the builders (Persimmon) or a local landscaper, we got the boys on the site to do it for cash. I forget exact numbers but if persimmon were wanting £5k, the boys did it for £1,800. It was site foreman we sorted it all through. Clearly backhanders etc all over the place as it was exact same slabs etc but was done in a couple of days at the weekend. 

As @mishtergrolsch says, you need to watch as site tend to be 2 inches soil on top of rubble but our guys did a decent drain for us as well. A lot of our neighbours have gone astro but I'm a lawn purist and the very thought disgusts me. Takes a lot of work to maintain though but I enjoy it. 

2021-02-18_03-20-26.thumb.jpg.baab4a2f23459b34515154278543bb0c.jpg

And this was during the summer. 5 years later.

IMG_20200526_075247.thumb.jpg.b64955a8500f6fc05a0d04ad7c1d438d.jpg

Stolen slabs are definitely better.

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

^^^ 

Weed Pot GIF

2 things.

1. The Devils Cabbage needs warmer than 8°C. So I've read in tomes of old.

2. It wouldn't get enough light in my greenhouse through the winter as I have no growing lights yet. So say the great sages anyway.

3. If I grew that stuff (and not my ornamental Brazilian climbers) id have enough cash to buy both Dundee clubs, liquidate yours for the banter and still have enough pocket change to keep £60k / week Lord Shankland at United for his entire career.

I know that's 3 things but...well...f**k you, dude!

ThunderousNaturalFoal-size_restricted.gif.1c8687243d32cf709d2d06585bfdfe2a.gif

58 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Stolen slabs are definitely better.

Not stolen. They never left the building site. The word you're looking for is 'relocated'.

The random 4 slabs are meant for a whirly gig to be installed at the end of.
All the neighbours seemed to have elected to pay the house builders to turf the back before they moved in although from the neighbours I can see it looks abit patchy (might grow in during the spring/summer).
I don't actually mind having to cut the grass and it's not a huge area to run over every couple of weeks, knew astro would be more expensive, just didn't know how much hence why I thought I'd get quotes for turf and astro.
I'm waiting for another couple of quotes to come back to me so hopefully they might be a bit more along the lines I was thinking.
Moved into a new build a couple of years ago and got some local landscapers in to do the garden. They took out 5 tonnes of whatever the builders had left, put soil down and turf with a small deck and some stones around the edges.

Pretty sure it came in just below your turf quote for a roughly similar sized garden.

4 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

When can I start cutting the grass? Still too early? Also when I cut the grass I want to make a good go of it this year to have it all nice n bonnie 

Cut it when it looks like its greening up and beginning to grow. Don't skin it down to the ground either, just tip it so its neat till Easter time. Id not be cutting till mid March at the earliest.

Then start feeding it in May if its looking a bit peaky and remember, if you feed it, water it in to avoid burning your grass!

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

Cut it when it looks like its greening up and beginning to grow. Don't skin it down to the ground either, just tip it so its neat till Easter time. Id not be cutting till mid March at the earliest.

Then start feeding it in May if its looking a bit peaky and remember, if you feed it, water it in to avoid burning your grass!

I could do with a grass ( not a tell tale ) expert tbh to get me on the go. I dont mind gardening and weeding however want my grass looking good but clover is a huge issue. Don't get huge amount of sunshine in garden at certain parts 

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that for yet another year, much of my 'lawn' closest to the house is yet again nothing but moss. 

It's a north facing garden partially in the shadow of the house so it's not a massive surprise, but the annual deep scarification (leaving a bare garden to be reseeded) is my least favourite job of the year, and one that's beyond tedious.  Any suggestions how to keep the moss away in the future (preferably one that doesn't involve knocking the house down)?

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just noticed that for yet another year, much of my 'lawn' closest to the house is yet again nothing but moss. 
It's a north facing garden partially in the shadow of the house so it's not a massive surprise, but the annual deep scarification (leaving a bare garden to be reseeded) is my least favourite job of the year, and one that's beyond tedious.  Any suggestions how to keep the moss away in the future (preferably one that doesn't involve knocking the house down)?
Slabs m8. Big, fuckoff slabs

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Astro

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I believe this is my issue also. Use to have slabs however lifted it for more grass, put drainage underneath also. Yup everything seems fine bar moss. It's shite. 

44 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

It's an awful lot of work to replace one load of green stuff with a different type of green stuff. Scarification, moss killer , improving the drainage, reseeding etc, etc.

It's a bloody work out, that's what it is.  I remember sweat dripping off of me doing last time (and I might have pulled a neck muscle in the process if I remember correctly).   Once the job's done and the grass has grown back in, it's fine.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and rip the moss out whilst the temperature's low.

I used moss killer before and I don't think it took any of the effort out of it tbh.  Just turned it black and unsightly.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's a bloody work out, that's what it is.  I remember sweat dripping off of me doing last time (and I might have pulled a neck muscle in the process if I remember correctly).   Once the job's done and the grass has grown back in, it's fine.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and rip the moss out whilst the temperature's low.

I used moss killer before and I don't think it took any of the effort out of it tbh.  Just turned it black and unsightly.

^^^Racism, reported!

I'm going to batter a load of heather into my raised beds this summer. Low maintenance, looks braw and the bees love it. Definitely the way I plan to go, with bits of space left for other stuff but generally, ram it full of heather.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Have you tried grass seed for areas with low light?

Also, keep your grass fed too. Start early with some lawn sand that turns the moss black then scarifying when its gone black. This also feeds the grass a wee bit. 

Don't cut your grass too short as it can stress the grass out and it will struggle to re establish.

I'd just regularly use a feed, weed and moss killer and rake/clear the moss out little and often section by section. It should eventually get better. 

Or

Try re turfing.

If not, slabs and some green paint.