Garden Options

HGG

On 20/06/2020 at 14:12, G_Man1985 said:

I have weeds I want off my grass. Anything I have tried so far has been a failure. Any advice or what I should get is appreciated 

Wife gets Lawnmaster out every 6-8 weeks.  She tells me it’s only about £20 a pop.  They come out for an initial assessment and they let you decide how often and how many treatments you want.  Our grass was more moss and weeds than anything else before.  Now looks like the grass at Dens Park at the start of the season *

*obviously not this season because grass never looks great in late October 🤣😡

22 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Are there any non Monsanto cancer causing weedkillers that are any good?

Cat's piss probably. Smells like it will kill anything..

Just watch a snail crawl up one of the tubs. It then hit the anti slug/snail copper tape I'd put around the top, retreated rapidly, hit the tape again and was last seen crawling around the tub looking for a way in 

1) take that you slimy plant eating phuqer

2) the tub is full of weeds anyway so I'm not that bothered if they're eaten. I just like watching the bugger waste its time.

Two months of work and its finished. Bought a plastic hut and tbh when it arrived in the box I thought I'd bought a bundle of shit. Put it together and its brilliant . Looks great and I'll  never need to paint it.  Bought composite decking too , bloody expensive but no painting here either. So its minimal upkeep till I go to old folks home.

20200628_114905.jpg

47 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Two months of work and its finished. Bought a plastic hut and tbh when it arrived in the box I thought I'd bought a bundle of shit. Put it together and its brilliant . Looks great and I'll  never need to paint it.  Bought composite decking too , bloody expensive but no painting here either. So its minimal upkeep till I go to old folks home.

20200628_114905.jpg

Tidy as f**k that like 👏

53 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

20200628_114905.jpg

Couldn't you get a Tardis  shaped one?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

20 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I can appreciate the work needed to do it but do you not feel like you're living in a dollhouse sometimes

Nope.  Looking forward to sunny days and having the granddaughter running about out the back

Spent a couple of days last week filling skip with top soil and the wee old wall. Got foundations dug yesterday and majority or material arrived today for the new wall. Hopefully done in the next couple of weeks. I have no idea how folk enjoy gardening. Back-breaking work. IMG_20200629_165645347.jpegIMG_20200629_165653139.jpegIMG_20200630_103419750.jpeg

That looks like a lot of work. Have you got somebody to build the wall? Are you rendering it?
It's a fair size but looks more because it's getting done block and flat. Aye my father-in-law is going to do the foundation and then help another guy build it. No I expect we'll just paint it eventually. The fact it has a wee foundation means it's already going to be better than the shitty wall that was there before. It was terrible. I assume the last owner did it himself.

44 minutes ago, throbber said:

Has anyone used masonry paint on cheep shite slabs before? I’m thinking about doing that rather then spend big bucks on buying new ones. 

Will chip off after about 25 nanoseconds. 

Push the boat out and treat yourself to a power washer and get them hosed. 

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Will chip off after about 25 nanoseconds. 

Push the boat out and treat yourself to a power washer and get them hosed. 

Masonry paint will surely get a good grip with 2 coats on it? 

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

is the issue not more that unless you're painting the whole slab capillary action is going to get water underneath and bubble it up?

Yeah you might be right then, I haven’t tried it. If I want to do my patio slabs I’d be looking at around £350 at least for decent looking slabs though which I can’t really be arsed paying for if I can scrub the ones I’ve got up a bit.

14 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Did you not do any concrete at University?

It was mostly structural concrete analysis and concrete design with steel reinforcement we did, there was very little of studying paint on garden slabs. Also I spent most my time at uni on here.