Garden Options

HGG

9 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Ma maw did it. Fairly straightforward, buy a coop, couple of hens and off ye go. Seems they get to become clever c***s though. Be a wear.

And the fresh eggs are 100x better than the supermarket dross. If you like a poacher, you’ll get nowt fresher (stating the blindingly obvious!).

But 6 (I think) years on, both are deid and the coop went for free to some local tink. Great idea, interesting diversion, great eggs. But it seems a big drain on your attention span.

Pay yer money, make yer choice.

PARKLIFE. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Took a digger to them. Good fun.

Indeed. 

Only joking anyway. Unless you're a really keen gardener, gardens like that are just a high maintenance waste of space. We got rid of all things green in what used to be our front garden and replaced it with lock-block for a far more useful driveway.  Patios are ace when you get the sun and a beer, so good job you have a south facing garden.  :)

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 1 month later...

I have 12 beds, each 1.2 metres x 0.8 metres. Only have garlic in 1 of them so far that is already starting to sprout. 

I've no exact plans on what to do yet but courgettes, onions, beetroot, scallions, rocket and spinach hopefully.

Re slugs. Someone said if you halve grapefruit skins and poke a hole in them the slugs will go in at night to hide and they can just be collected from them one by one. Like those football cone shapes

IMG-20200105-WA0000.jpg

For folk who have bought in soil, who are good Scottish suppliers? This rain is flooding my clay and I think I need to build up the garden with some bought in soil over the next year.

Unscreened top soil is best option for clay, and much cheaper than screened stuff, and add washed concrete sand to it. You can also add compost

Washed concrete sand and stones mix breaks up the clay and stops it bonding.

Theres a fair bit of hard work ahead of you, but it will be worth it.

Companies I would recommend for soil

William Hamilton & Son
Brown Soil

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I put a bunch of wild seeds down last year, for flowers that the bees will like. Will they reflower this year?

Probably,  I did that years ago and still get them popping up yearly. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Anyone got any tried and tested methods for getting rid of ants in the garden? Tried putting powder down where I seen them coming from and to last summer but haven't had any success as they are back this year.

Blowtorch.

27 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Anyone got any tried and tested methods for getting rid of ants in the garden? Tried putting powder down where I seen them coming from and to last summer but haven't had any success as they are back this year.

How long have you had them ?

6 minutes ago, grumswall said:
8 minutes ago, taurus said:
How long have you had them ?

They showed up towards the end of last summer and I just see the odd one dotting about in that area now.

They wont bother you , if you get them in the house put some ant powder down outside the door and you'll be fine but around this time of year they start nesting and for nearly2 weeks you cant do anything to stop them , after that you wont see them till next year .