Garden Options

HGG

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don’t mean to be cheeky but how much are you guys spending on these sleepers, made up beds, terraces, etc.

I’m sure they’ll be in for 20+ years but they all look (very lovely but) horrifically expensive without maybe adding a commensurate value to the house?

I spent just under £1500 (100 @ £13.50 each, plus delivery) on sleepers. For me, they make the garden usable, rather than on an awkward slope. Whole project has cost about £3.5-4k, and I've done all of the work myself. Got a quote for a landscaper to come in and do half of what I've done and it would have cost £12k. Wild.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

I very nearly put in the bottom of my post that he'll now know where I live from that picture 😂

Doesn't look like it's on a bus route so he might be scrambling round Google maps Dumfries

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Perth, m90.

Aww, I assume he stayed in Tory country

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It is on a bus route, albeit not the main one (once every few busses come right round the village and pass the front door).

He'll get it no bother then

Anyone ever raise chickens in the gairden?
I was thinking about it. It looks fairly simple. Get a coup and some chicks and your done.
The little baby chicks are really cheap as well.

It’s not overly complex, give them feed and water and your swinging.

Wouldn’t want to start with chicks tho, the main difficulties are when they are very young or very old.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Get a coup and some chicks and your done.

throw in some cigars and that sounds like Fidel Castro's* recipe for a halfway decent Saturday night rather than the basics of poultry-rearing (leave it)

Spoiler

* yes - I know that Castro assumed power after a revolution rather than a coup, but really, does anyone have a fucking clue who Emmerson Mnangagwa or Frank Bainimarama are ?

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s not overly complex, give them feed and water and your swinging.

Wouldn’t want to start with chicks tho, the main difficulties are when they are very young or very old.

Thanks,
I'll probably build a 12sq ft coop myself and get 3 grown chickens to start with.

What sort of coop you got?

13 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

* yes - I know that Castro assumed power after a revolution rather than a coup, but really, does anyone have a fucking clue who Emmerson Mnangagwa or Frank Bainimarama are ?

I know quoting yourself is probably an appalling social faux pas, but can't resist - there's no truth in the rumour than having assumed control in Fiji, Frank's first formal act was to replace the traditional national anthem Meda Dau Doka with Really Saying Something...

sorry....

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I was thinking about it. It looks fairly simple. Get a coup and some chicks and your done.

Definitely do it to get it out your system.

We were given 5 young chicks a few years back. I threw together a coop and we were all getting on great.

As time went on three of them decided to be big huge roosters with razor sharp talons and my back garden was a no-go area for about two years and I would just throw food out the kitchen window. 

One morning I looked out and it was like there had been a pillow fight and the chooks were gone. I was secretly delighted. 

Ma maw did it. Fairly straightforward, buy a coop, couple of hens and off ye go. Seems they get to become clever c***s though. Be a wear.

And the fresh eggs are 100x better than the supermarket dross. If you like a poacher, you’ll get nowt fresher (stating the blindingly obvious!).

But 6 (I think) years on, both are deid and the coop went for free to some local tink. Great idea, interesting diversion, great eggs. But it seems a big drain on your attention span.

Pay yer money, make yer choice.