The Cricket Thread

bewlay

7 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

An excellent podcast which I listen to reguarly - excellent choice of guests and some really good, positive promotion of all things domestic in Scotland at various levels. Excellent stuff :)

However - have to say I was outraged at the coverage you gave Meigle v Bute County..... ;) Not sure if you saw the scorecard or not.....

Bute, chasing 416 off 40, open with an absolute hero who Boycott could have learnt a thing or two off. With over 10 an over required - he bed himself in a bit too much and got his first run off his 50th ball, to huge cheers off the field and promptly raises his bat :lol: Ended up with about a dozen off 120 or so balls from what I remember..... and I honestly think it's one of the most entertaining innings I've ever seen! Lasted 34 overs, Meigle absolutely crowding the bat and around ball 80 or so he was caught off which saw wild celebrations in the field.... only for them to realise it was a no ball :D Credit where it's due - Bute obviously no chance of chasing that against a really strong Meigle team, and this boy just wasn't for giving his wicket away!

See below for celebration at getting off the mark on ball 50, run rate required at this stage around 15 an over :D 

image.png.631fdfcbe27291e57a4c5598099aa949.png

Cheers, glad you’re enjoying listening to it, we’re having great fun making it!

I’d totally missed that little story, that’s absolutely brilliant 😂 The Scottish final of the village cup between Meigle and Falkland is taking place at Meigle tomorrow (as I’m sure you already know), Callum is planning to head along to it so I’m hopeful that he’ll stick a camera in front of someone and bring us some content from that to go in to next week’s episode!

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

England need just 61 to win with 5 wickets in hand. If Root goes early tomorrow then it's still 50/50. emoji23.png

It’s a terrific test match.  England haven’t been in many of them in the last year.  I’d make New Zealand slight favourites, but only just. 

It’s a terrific test match.  England haven’t been in many of them in the last year.  I’d make New Zealand slight favourites, but only just. 
No way are New Zealand the favourites at the moment.

If root hangs on for an hour then England win easy, and even if he falls they can still scrape over the line.

No way are New Zealand the favourites at the moment.

If root hangs on for an hour then England win easy, and even if he falls they can still scrape over the line.

9 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If someone falls early today, New Zealand win, that said, if that happens I would be sending Broad in at 8 to swing at everything in the hope of getting a rapid 20 odd and let Foakes or Root nurse the rest of the tail to the target. Been a good Test though & I hope the weather isn't going to fook it up.

That ended up being a very comfortable win. Very good batting performances by both Root and Foakes. No silliness, just playing the shots when they were on and leaving anything that didn't need to be played. Particularly pleased for Foakes, who's had to wait longer than he should have to get a regular start in the test team.

Root passed 10,000 test runs in going to his century, equaling Alistair Cook as the youngest to reach the mark at the age of 31 years and 157 days. 

Another 2-3 years to reach 12473 to become England’s leading Test run scorer, possible?[emoji848]

4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Another 2-3 years to reach 12473 to become England’s leading Test run scorer, possible?emoji848.png

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t, to be honest. 

I think he’ll at least go past Ponting’s 13,378 to go second all time, and I wouldn’t be all that shocked if he surpasses Sachin’s record of 15,921. 

This T20 season has been nuts. Last night I watched Somerset requiring 50 from 3 overs with 3 wickets left chase it down and tonight Sussex needed 28 from 6 overs with 8 wickets left crumble to defeat. Both against Gloucestershire. Unbelievable.