The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I wish we could play somebody other than Oman or PNG for a bit. We're on literally the opposite side of the world from them, yet every 2nd game we play they seem to pop up as the opponent.

I suppose, thrashing Ireland has got a bit boring.

42 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I wish we could play somebody other than Oman or PNG for a bit. We're on literally the opposite side of the world from them, yet every 2nd game we play they seem to pop up as the opponent.

I suppose, thrashing Ireland has got a bit boring.

We’ve got 3 more CWC2 series this summer (USA and UAE in the US next month, then Namibia and Nepal at home, and USA and UAE at home), as well as 2 T20s and an ODI v New Zealand in July. So we’ve a nice break from them!

I think we have played all our games against PNG and Oman now too, well after this week.

The win against Oman was incredible. I managed to watch the last 5 or so overs of it.

Looking very well set to qualify although there is a long way to go.

Hoping to get down to see a few of the home games in the summer.

Scotland won the toss and batted against PNG. First innings just finished and Scotland made 287/5, getting up to that score thanks to a brutal 18 ball 50* from Michael Leask. Coetzer and Berrington both made 50s earlier on after a couple of early wickets.

Leask in that form is an absolute joy to watch. 6 sixes in that innings from him. 

ETA: That’s apparently the fastest 50 by an associate cricketer in ODIs, beating Richie Berrington’s 20 ball effort v Ireland in 2011. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Joe Root steps down as England’s test match captain. 
Not surprised tbh, must be exhausting carrying a teams batting on your own most of the time. With all the other uncertainty about coaches, director of cricket etc, probably as good a time as any to go.

I do think he has made mistakes though, especially when it comes to team selection and bowling plans.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Not surprised tbh, must be exhausting carrying a teams batting on your own most of the time. With all the other uncertainty about coaches, director of cricket etc, probably as good a time as any to go.

I do think he has made mistakes though, especially when it comes to team selection and bowling plans.

I have absolutely no idea who will replace him. 

35 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I have absolutely no idea who will replace him. 

Stuart Broad as a short term appointment & a face saving way of admitting they fucked up by not selecting him & Jimmy for the Windies debacle, longer term who knows, but Tom Abell is worth a shout as a batter and potential partnership breaker as a sixth bowling option, he can't do much worse than the others and is a decent captain.

20 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Stuart Broad as a short term appointment & a face saving way of admitting they fucked up by not selecting him & Jimmy for the Windies debacle, longer term who knows, but Tom Abell is worth a shout as a batter and potential partnership breaker as a sixth bowling option, he can't do much worse than the others and is a decent captain.

Yesterday’s 11 is, of course, to be added to the end of it. 

25 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yesterday’s 11 is, of course, to be added to the end of it. 

I know hes not in the best nick but what are the other options? I just have a hunch that he will rise to the challenge if he gets a shot & his pies somehow get wickets so he can give the pacers a rest when he needs to. I would still go with Broad for the Summer but he is in with a shout.

Feel a bit sorry for Root tbh. I don't think his captaincy was all that, but he's been another victim of a system that basically just hands Captaincy to any player who is a consistent selection and isn't a massive character risk regardless of their actual qualifications, captaincy experience, or ability to do the job. It might be an old-fashioned view, but I'm still one of those who believes Captaincy is a job and a discipline all of it's own, and especially in the Test arena I'd be willing to carry a guy who averages 35 with the bat if he is genuinely an outstanding skipper. They just need to look at the difference Collingwood and Morgan made in their limited overs sides, although the obvious caveat there is Eoin Morgan is clearly a world class ODI/T20 bat in his own right.

The Test team is clearly currently going through a talent deficiency, but I think a top Captain will eek you out wins and draws here and there that a 'guy' won't. It's not their most pressing issue at the moment in terms of righting the ship, but I think they could do worse than just sourcing and selecting a player with outstanding captaincy credentials, and then letting him sink or swim in Test cricket. It's not like they can sink any lower right now.

Edited by Boo Khaki

22 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I know hes not in the best nick but what are the other options? I just have a hunch that he will rise to the challenge if he gets a shot & his pies somehow get wickets so he can give the pacers a rest when he needs to. I would still go with Broad for the Summer but he is in with a shout.

I’d go Broad as well. If they want a proven captain then I’d go for either James Vince or Rory Burns. The only other name I’d consider would be Bairstow. 

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I’d go Broad as well. If they want a proven captain then I’d go for either James Vince or Rory Burns. The only other name I’d consider would be Bairstow. 

Vince is a good shout, good Captain & didn't have the worst record at Test level. If he could just stop chasing wide ones to second slip then he would be a solid no 5 as well, only 1,2,3 to sort out then.

Looking forward to England using all their reviews by the end of the third over when they are bowling with Broad in charge. [emoji23]