The Cricket Thread

bewlay

19 minutes ago, Tynie Drummie said:

I like Hussain, he is always honest and has a lot of good ideas. 

Doesn't get the credit he deserves for the changes to the mentality of English cricket that defined his captaincy.

England could do worse than have him in charge.

Yes. Hussain talks a lot of sense. Seeing Mark Ramprakash on Sky. He reckons Alec Stewart is the man to take over from Ashley Giles.

38 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Yes. Hussain talks a lot of sense. Seeing Mark Ramprakash on Sky. He reckons Alec Stewart is the man to take over from Ashley Giles.

Jobs for the boys.  I’d be surprised if Gary Kirsten isn’t the next head coach.  I’d go for Jason Gillespie, personally. 

Jobs for the boys.  I’d be surprised if Gary Kirsten isn’t the next head coach.  I’d go for Jason Gillespie, personally. 
They should have given it to Gillespie years ago when he turned Yorkshire's fortunes around. Would he want to move back to the UK after settling back in Australia?

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

They should have given it to Gillespie years ago when he turned Yorkshire's fortunes around. Would he want to move back to the UK after settling back in Australia?

He’s not exactly having a great time coaching South Australia in either the Sheffield Shield or Marsh One Day Cup although has done a bit better with the Adelaide Strikers. 

Justin Langer has resigned as Australian coach.
https://www.aap.com.au/news/langer-resigns-as-australia-cricket-coach/
Typical bed shitting from Cricket Australia. Took over an absolute shambles and turns it around including a T20 world cup win and a near whitewash Ashes win, yet they only offer him a short term extension. Rumours that the senior player group don't like him because he is too hard on the players. Have these same arses forgot they are lucky to be there at all after sandpaper gate?

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think Root continuing for this tour is sensible, tbh. Get the structure in place above the team, and then let them make the decision on a permanent captain.

Latest pod from me:

Good batter, shite captain, Broad should be interim captain until they sort the leftfield option although I fear for the sub Kohli reviews that he will call for.

To the surprise of, I’d think, no one, Paul Collingwood has been appointed interim head coach for England’s  3 test match series in the West Indies next month. 

The playing squad will be announced tomorrow.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

To the surprise of, I’d think, no one, Paul Collingwood has been appointed interim head coach for England’s  3 test match series in the West Indies next month. 

The playing squad will be announced tomorrow.
Couldn't really think of anyone else that would have been likely to take charge tbh.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Looks like Anderson and Broad have both been left out of the squad for the Windies tour.

An outstandingly stupid decision. Just play the best bowlers ffs.

In a similarly stupid move, Joe Root has been told he’ll bat at 3 in the series. Just had one of the best years anyone has ever had at his preferred position of 4, so obviously England want to f**k with that as well.

At least Jos Buttler has been dropped, and they didn’t bring Sibley back. 

An outstandingly stupid decision. Just play the best bowlers ffs.
 In a similarly stupid move, Joe Root has been told he’ll bat at 3 in the series. Just had one of the best years anyone has ever had at his preferred position of 4, so obviously England want to f**k with that as well.
 At least Jos Buttler has been dropped, and they didn’t bring Sibley back. 
Strauss insisting that it was Root's choice to bat at 3. Tbh, with the amount of times England lost 2 early wickets last year I'm not sure it will make that much difference

Too many games, schedule changes, not many name players so no surprise that BBL crowds are down, even allowing for COVID. Think TV ratings were also poor. Last night’s Australia v Sri Lanka T20 at the SCG only had 12,908, possibly the lowest for a T20 International there.

https://www.austadiums.com/news/1140/bbl-crowds-drop-to-new-low-as-covid-continues-to-impact-sport

1 hour ago, Tynie Drummie said:

I'd suggest it's more than just covid to blame.   They've ripped the arse out of T20 and saturated the market with it.

How invested can you be in a format that has the same modus operandi the majority of games.  I think real cricket fans are starting finally to become a little bored of it.  Long may the trend continue.

Would love to see the same happen sub continent.

An article earlier this week hinted at adding more teams which is madness. On a more sombre note Will Pucovski, tipped as a future great, in his comeback Shield game at Adelaide Oval has suffered yet another concussion. Seemingly he was hit on the hand in the warm-up, took the field for a few overs this morning and was substituted before Victoria batted again. Peter Lalor has written the following in The Australian which I’ve cut and pasted as it’s behind a paywall.

Will Pucovski concussion: Victorian batsman must retire from cricket, writes Peter Lalor

FOXSPORTS01:17

Will Pucovski makes half-century on comeback

Will Pucovski of Victoria is taken off injured after getting hit by the ball during day two of the Round 9 JLT Sheffield Shield cricket match between Victoria and New South Wales at Junction Oval in St Kilda, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AAP Image/Tracey Nearmy) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY, IMAGES TO BE USED FOR NEWS REPORTING PURPOSES ONLY, NO COMMERCIAL USE WHATSOEVER, NO USE IN BOOKS WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT FROM AAP Will Pucovski of Victoria is taken off injured after getting hit by the ball during day two of the Round 9 JLT Sheffield Shield cricket match between Victoria and New South Wales at Junction Oval in St Kilda, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AAP Image/Tracey Nearmy) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY, IMAGES TO BE USED FOR NEWS REPORTING PURPOSES ONLY, NO COMMERCIAL USE WHATSOEVER, NO USE IN BOOKS WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT FROM AAP

• SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    widget-v3.1&td_bio=false&td_byline=Peter%2520Lalor&td_location=none
  • NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM
  • 2:24PM FEBRUARY 12, 2022
  • 14 COMMENTS
  • widget-v3.1&td_bio=false&td_byline=Peter%2520Lalor&td_follow=true&td_location=none

WILL PUCOVSKI, THE BEST YOUNG BATSMAN IN THE COUNTRY, NEEDS TO RETIRE FROM CRICKET.

IT’S AWFUL, IT’S FRUSTRATING, IT BREAKS YOUR HEART TO SEE A KID WITH SO MUCH POTENTIAL LEAVE IT UNFULFILLED AND HAVE WHAT HE DOES BEST TAKEN AWAY FROM HIM, BUT IT’S NOT TRAGIC.

YET.

COMMENTATORS DON’T HAVE MEDICAL DEGREES BUT PEOPLE WHO DO HAVE TOLD US OVER AND OVER AND OVER THAT PEOPLE LIKE WILL PUCOVSKI NEED TO BE PROTECTED FROM THEMSELVES.

THEY TELL US THAT REPEATED CONCUSSIONS CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE.

MORE: AUSSIE CRICKET ROCKED BY FRESH PUCOVSKI BLOW

READ MORE:PUCOVSKI FUTURE IN DOUBT AFTER WARM-UP CONCUSSION BLOW

PUCOVSKI’S CRACKED A DOZEN EGGS IF HE HAS CRACKED ONE AND IF WE ARE TO BELIEVE THE EXPERTS THAT MEANS HE IS DOING IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO HIS YOUNG BRAIN.

THEY TELL US THAT AS THE PROBLEM PROGRESSES THE SPORTSPERSON/PATIENT/VICTIM BECOME MORE SUSCEPTIBLE.

PUCOVSKI HAS TAKEN MONTHS OFF FROM BLOWS THAT MOST OF US WOULD SHRUG OFF.

THEY TELL US THAT REPEAT CONCUSSIONS CAUSE MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS.

PUCOVSKI’S MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES ARE PUBLIC ENOUGH.

Will Pucovski speaks to a team doctor. WILL PUCOVSKI SPEAKS TO A TEAM DOCTOR.

HE HAS MISSED THE FIRST HALF OF THE SUMMER AND A PLACE IN THE TEST TEAM AFTER A BLOW IN TRAINING FOR VICTORIA WHICH WAS SO SLIGHT HE KEPT HIS FEET AND EVEN DROVE HOME.

THAT HE DROVE HOME IS DISTURBING, THAT HE KEEPS DUSTING HIMSELF OFF IS EVEN MORE SO.

HE MISSED LAST INTERNATIONAL SEASON FOR THE SAME REASONS.

HOW MANY FORMER FOOTBALLERS COME WEEPING INTO THE SPOTLIGHT IN MIDDLE AGE TO BLAME THEIR MENTAL DISINTEGRATION ON REPEAT CONCUSSIONS?

THERE’S WORSE OUTCOMES BUT WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE AND DON’T DARE MENTION THEM. WE ALL KNOW THEM EXCEPT THE PEOPLE WHO ALLOW THIS YOUNG MAN TO KEEP PUTTING HIS BRAIN IN DANGER.

HOPEFULLY THEY KNOW BETTER. THERE’S NOBODY HERE WHO DOESN’T WANT TO BE REASSURED.

Will Pucovski grimaces after being struck during a Sheffield Shield game. WILL PUCOVSKI GRIMACES AFTER BEING STRUCK DURING A SHEFFIELD SHIELD GAME.

CRICKET AUSTRALIA’S MEDICAL STAFF HAVE LED THE WORLD ON CONCUSSION RESEARCH AND PROTOCOLS. IT IS HARD TO IMAGINE THAT THEY HAVE DROPPED THE BALL ON PUCOVSKI, BUT WHY HE HAS BEEN DEEMED AN EXCEPTION IS BAFFLING.

PUCOVSKI’S TALENT WAS OBVIOUS FROM AN EARLY AGE AND WHEN HE WAS AROUND 10, RICKY PONTING WAS ASKED TO CAST HIS EYE OVER THE YOUNG CRICKETER.

“WE GOT HIM INTO THE NETS AND THE FIRST BALL I PUT IN THE BOWLING MACHINE HE ABSOLUTELY CREAMED THROUGH THE COVERS AND I THOUGHT HE MIGHT BE SOMETHING SPECIAL ONE DAY,” THE FORMER CAPTAIN TOLD CHANNEL 7 DURING COMMENTARY LAST SEASON.

THE IMPRESSIVE YOUNG VICTORIAN WAS SET TO OPEN THAT BATTING IN THE SERIES AGAINST SRI LANKA IN JANUARY 2019 BUT A LAST-MINUTE CHANGE OF HEART FROM SELECTORS SAW KURTIS PATTERSON DROPPED INTO THE SIDE.

Will Pucovski is treated during a Shield game. WILL PUCOVSKI IS TREATED DURING A SHIELD GAME.

MYSTERY SURROUNDS WHAT HAPPENED THERE WITH AT LEAST THREE VERSIONS OF HIS EXIT DOING THE ROUNDS.

PUCOVSKI WAS IN LINE TO DEBUT THE NEXT SUMMER BUT WITHDREW CITING MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS.

IN OCTOBER 2020 HE SCORED 255NO IN A SHEFFIELD SHIELD MATCH IN A 486 RUN PARTNERSHIP WITH MARCUS HARRIS AGAINST SOUTH AUSTRALIA AND WAS AGAIN IN LINE TO PLAY THE 2020-21 SERIES.

HE FOLLOWED THAT WITH A DOUBLE CENTURY AGAINST WESTERN AUSTRALIA – IN THE PROCESS BECOMING THE FIRST BATSMAN SINCE DENE HILLS IN 1997-98 TO MAKE CONSECUTIVE DOUBLE HUNDREDS IN SHIELD CRICKET.

HIS TEST DEBUT SEEMED ASSURED AT THE START OF LAST SUMMER, BUT THE BATSMAN WAS CONCUSSED WHILE BATTING AGAINST INDIA IN A TOUR MATCH ON THE EVE OF THE SUMMER AND WAS UNAVAILABLE FOR THE START OF THE BORDER-GAVASKAR TROPHY BECAUSE OF LINGERING SYMPTOMS.

HE GOT ONE TEST AND HE LOOKED PROMISING.

HE HAS BEEN CONCUSSED REPEATEDLY SINCE A SIGNIFICANT INCIDENT AS A SCHOOLBOY FOOTBALLER THAT AFFECTED HIM FOR SIX MONTHS.

NOW IT IS OVER TO THOSE WHO DO THE RESEARCH.

peter_lalor.png
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    PETER LALOR IS THE AUSTRALIAN’S CHIEF CRICKET WRITER AND HAS BEEN A REPORTER FOR OVER 30 YEARS. AN AWARD WINNING JOURNALIST AND AUTHOR HE HAS COVERED